Trailer Trash

To move, or not to move! That is the question! (Read 531 times)

Occasional Runner

We need a central point for this discussion.

So do we want to assimilate, or hang out here? 

I don't want us to "ruin" what the others have built, but i would like to see our group get bigger and be more inclusive. We all post a lot, so we can overwhelm the other forums.

Thoughts?

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

move.  Trail runners are not snobs (most are not).

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Since we were invited, I think we can safely move to the "main" trail forum.  (Which is still not a main forum from what I understand.)

I tried to warn them that we were chatty, but no one seemed to mind.

Is John coming with?  I haven't seen him anywhere since yesterday morning and I ain't leaving him behind anywhere. 

Running is dumb.

On On

Why don't you invite them over to this thread?  If anyone wants to join they can. 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I don't quite get the whole "over there" and "here".  Still trying to figure out RA. 

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

If you're trying to tell us to stay out of the other trail forum, by all means just say so.  It seems sort of silly to me to have two, but I've only been here for less than a week, so I'm still trying to understand how you guys do things around here.  We're just trying not to step on any toes.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

I agree with Rick. We should keep this as OUR main forum, change the name, and see if others want to contribute. We can also contribute in the other forum all we want. It will eventually work itself out.

Birdwell

I agree with Rick. We should keep this as OUR main forum, change the name, and see if others want to contribute. We can also contribute in the other forum all we want. It will eventually work itself out.

What he said! 

dpc3

I am disappointed a hostile takeover is not on the table as an option!

All kidding aside I vote for change the name and let folks migrate in the direction they choose for themselves.

However, if the collective whole jumps ship and moves over I'll need an official memo on official letterhead (You have that don't you Mandy) stating the reasons why said move was warranted.

On On

I don't quite get the whole "over there" and "here".  Still trying to figure out RA. 

RA has a portion called Forums that everyone can see and new comers are dropped into when you first get here.

There are User Groups for specific groups of people that have things in common and they want to talk about things together.  These things in common could be anything ie, masters, beginners, tri athletes, trail runners, ultra runners, beer drinkers who run, runners who drink beer, runners who run a 10K a day, runners who all live in PA, etc.

Many people join many groups and you see some over lap between the groups.  But the groups work very well too.  If I wanted to let people know about a 5K I was putting on I may post in the NY/NJ group or even the PA group I am in, if I wanted to get training advice I may ask that in the Forums or in one of the groups where I know there are a lot of experienced runners / coaches.

For me all the groups and forums organize the noise.  I know about what the topics will be in each group / forum and I can go to them to find that type of information.  I don't have to wade through 7 pages of people talking about their dogs and the latest movie if I want training advice.

I think we should assimilate, assuming they don't mind us posting our dailies in that forum.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

<shurg>  If we're not wanted over there, that's fine.  We have a big enough gang to keep this place busy.  I just don't really understand why RA would need an active trail forum (here) and a not so active trail forum (there.) 

At any rate, if we stay, we should create a new name for the group that is more welcoming to newcomers.  I may be in control of this ship, but I am not the most creative.  Ideas?

Running is dumb.

On On

Which forum?--If they're cool with it, I'd say move over there...but I think we need clarification on whether they're all cool with it. I thought they were, but Hasher Rick's posts suggest maybe not. 

I do not speak for anyone but me and I think that is true for any of us.  There is no one person that is going to give permission or take it away for you to combine the two threads. 

You will never get everyone's opinion and at what point do you combine them?  If 51% want it?  98%?  Why combine the two at all?  If people have access to this User Group and choose not to join would that bother you? 

<shurg>  If we're not wanted over there, that's fine.  We have a big enough gang to keep this place busy.  I just don't really understand why RA would need an active trail forum (here) and a not so active trail forum (there.) 

At any rate, if we stay, we should create a new name for the group that is more welcoming to newcomers.  I may be in control of this ship, but I am not the most creative.  Ideas?

I don't want anyone to think you are not wanted over there.  I never said that and I am not saying that.  I am just on the opposite side of the same coin as you.  I don't see why you need one active forum.  What is wrong with having two?  I belong to three groups that talk about running 2000 miles in a year and they all have their own feeling. 

I am also of the opinion that more posts does not mean better.  If I know I can go over there and every post is going to be about trail runs, trail races, training, etc then that is good.  If I know I can come here to get to know people a little better through stories, injuries, jokes, etc then that is a good thing too.  Maybe sometimes there will be a double post in both groups about the same thing and that is fine too.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I vote for staying, although I appreciate new, fresh input from other trail runners. I think over time, there will be some migration back and forth between the two forums, but I think if we move, we might overtake "their" established forum and scare off the users there.

A new name for the forum would be great, but I don't have any ideas - how does one cover trails and roads, short and ultra distances?

Run for fun.

I do not speak for anyone but me and I think that is true for any of us.  There is no one person that is going to give permission or take it away for you to combine the two threads. 

You will never get everyone's opinion and at what point do you combine them?  If 51% want it?  98%?  Why combine the two at all?  If people have access to this User Group and choose not to join would that bother you? 

I don't want anyone to think you are not wanted over there.  I never said that and I am not saying that.  I am just on the opposite side of the same coin as you.  I don't see why you need one active forum.  What is wrong with having two?  I belong to three groups that talk about running 2000 miles in a year and they all have their own feeling. 

I am also of the opinion that more posts does not mean better.  If I know I can go over there and every post is going to be about trail runs, trail races, training, etc then that is good.  If I know I can come here to get to know people a little better through stories, injuries, jokes, etc then that is a good thing too.  Maybe sometimes there will be a double post in both groups about the same thing and that is fine too.

My take: if anyone objects to having us over there, we stay here. I would combine the two because we're all trail runners, and want to talk about trail running and hang out with other trail runners. Our dailies are about our trail running--and more. But if some people don't want to participate in the dailies or even have them clutter up the existing forum, that's a pity, but we can keep the groups separate. It's no biggie.