Trailer Trash

Snowshoeing - How do you keep your toes warm? (Read 43 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

This is my major problem. Even at temperatures in the 40's, when I snow shoe in deep snow, my toes get frostnipped, often already 1 hour into the run/hike.

I wear merino wool socks and my trail shoes, so the snow just gets into the shoes, melts, my socks get soaking wet, and the misery starts. Moving my toes constantly certainly improves foot strength, but does not keep them warm. Even running (not just hiking, whenever possible) does not help, even though I get very hot overall then.

This has limited the length of my runs/hikes in snow shoes to about 2.5 hours, then the pain gets too much (and I'm afraid to do real damage to my toes), but I'd really like to be able to go much longer.

I know of some improvements which I have not tried yet:

1) Goretex shoes (too expensive for just a few times snowshoeing in a year, and I don't need them for any other purpose - my toes stay nice and warm when I run in snow without snowshoes)

2) Ziplock bags over the shoes (do they hold up?)

3) Neoprene bike booties (are the $20 cheapo ones good enough, or do I have to spend $70 on the Pearl Izumis?)

4) Goretex shoe covers (see booties)

How do you keep your toes warm?

Run for fun.

Bike booties should work, even the cheap ones at 40F. You just need to keep the snow from coming in the mesh.

My original bike booties were about 3mm while the Crescent Moon ones I got were about 5mm thick. I wear them a lot in snow, esp. wet snow to avoid the cold, wet feet issue. And in windy or cold days, they help also. I'd really like to find something lighter for the days where I just want to keep the snow out. Duct tape can work for some days.  I've tried neoprene socks, but snow comes in the mesh, melts, then refreezes into snow/ice balls inside my shoe. ouch.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I've tried neoprene socks, but snow comes in the mesh, melts, then refreezes into snow/ice balls inside my shoe. ouch.

Exactly. And it seems to be worse on warmer days (40F) than on cold days (12F) - the cold, fluffy snow seems to fall off the shoes before it can melt, whereas the wet, heavy snow is the real problem.

Update: I got really frostbitten yesterday, with small blisters on some of my toes. Now that's going to feel comfy on my next long runs!

Run for fun.

runtraildc

Couch-- DH uses gore-tex boot covers for biking, and has used them snowshoeing, but not with running snowshoes.  They do the job- keeps the feet warm and dry.

NorthernHarrier

Another option to look at--SealSkinz socks.  I do have 1 pair myself and they do seem decent. Have only used them a couple times for cold weather canoeing but some people swear by them. I'm not much help as I really never get cold feet when active and I have so much cold weather gear from my other recreational pursuits. Only time I get cold feet would be sitting on a deer stand or sitting in Lambeau in late Dec.

So if I had your problem I would use the Sealskinz socks but combine that with an actual snowshoe gaitor (treated nylon or Gore-tex) not a dirty girl running gaitor.

Of course spring is almost here too.

Gaiters keep the snow out well enough for me.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Couch-- DH uses gore-tex boot covers for biking, and has used them snowshoeing, but not with running snowshoes.  They do the job- keeps the feet warm and dry.

The boot covers sound like a good idea, but I've never been able to find any that are just a covering. Granted, haven't looked for a couple years.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Another option to look at--SealSkinz socks.  I do have 1 pair myself and they do seem decent. Have only used them a couple times for cold weather canoeing but some people swear by them. I'm not much help as I really never get cold feet when active and I have so much cold weather gear from my other recreational pursuits. Only time I get cold feet would be sitting on a deer stand or sitting in Lambeau in late Dec.

So if I had your problem I would use the Sealskinz socks but combine that with an actual snowshoe gaitor (treated nylon or Gore-tex) not a dirty girl running gaitor.

Of course spring is almost here too.

The Sealskinz socks would be like my neoprene ones in that snow will still come in the mesh, unless you've got something covering the toe. All gaitors that I've seen leave the toe open - metal hook snags the shoe laces. I've tried the sealskinz, and the size I have can't layer over a liner sock and another sock over it is too bulky, and the sealskinz alone isn't warm enough. Had similar issue with storm socks. With my neoprene socks over a liner sock, I get warmth and some shock absorption, like with a regular sock. I'll use that sometimes, but prefer the overbooty.

Something I was thinking about while out running today is that with snowshoes, the snowshoe keeps a lot of the snow away from your foot - creates an island. I use the overbooty as much as some cushioning with the binding as for keeping snow out.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

There are neoprene toe covers, which will probably work well together with waterproof gaiters. By themselves, I think, the snow getting into the shoe around your ankle could still make your toes cold, in deep snow. They might be worth a try if you already have gaiters and the snow is not too heavy.

Run for fun.

Thanks. I googled and found some goretex, neoprene, and probably some other fabrics in toe covers for bikers. Many of them have metal protection for bike clips, but some look like they're set without that so they'd be more useful for running (not their intent, just convenient).

If I'm in snow that's likely to come over the heel, I'll have my overbooties on - one item covers whole top of foot and ankle. If I'm in deeper snow, I'll use my wind pants besides the overbooties. They will shed snow from back of legs. I don't like the regular gaitors that I've got - for either summer or winter. I'm looking for something with packed snow in warmer temperatures where I might get a little in toe area. What I've been using gets warm after a few hours if it's +20F or warmer. But they work for now. Just considering better mousetrap should I decide to do  a longer winter race next year.

One option is to wear shoes one size bigger than normal.  The use thick poly-pro socks.  I've ran\snowshoe run in subzero temps and my toes and feet stay warm.  If in deep snow I use a pair of gators or crescent booties: http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/crescent-moon-neoprene-over-shoe-booties.html

Bill.

Watoni

I use something like this, but because I need them for cycling anyway:

http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/pro-team-rain-overshoes/product/PRO01