Trailer Trash

Quad Dipsea Race Report (Read 233 times)

runfastandie

New forum so I'll put my disclaimer- I'm verbose. If you don't want to read it I'm not offended.

Summary. Finished my first utlra!!! YAHOOO!!!! In 1:17 ahead of my goal (which was cutoff). HOORAY!!!

Images-   http://www.backprint.com/view_user_event.asp?PID=bp%1Es%40s&EVENTID=109160&BIB=310&S=230&PWD=

Are there instructions on posting pics here?

The Quadruple Dipsea runs from Mill Valley to Stinson Beach (single Dipsea) back to Mill Valley (double) and hit the repeat button.  Over 28.4 miles you cover 9400ish elevation gain.

I signed up for this race back in August as I knew this race would be my first Ultra!  Grand Canyon Rim to Rim would be the warm up. 

I left the house and headed over the Golden Gate bridge and into Mill Valley.  My last chance at ditching out was praying for a flat tire.  I rolled into town with 4 working tires, found parking and hit the bathroom line. Grabbed my bib, dropped my midway bag and lined up at the start with people I simply did not have business running with!  Since my tire prayer effort didn’t work I was hoping for flash flooding- but with the sun shining brightly that was also unlikely.

The first mile is stairs straight up, followed by a fast down, only to be nailed with another 1.5 miles straight up.  First 3 miles were 19 minute miles- how on earth was I going to do 28.4 in under 8.5 hours! On the downhill I flew- passing many many people who generally made comments like “young knees” and “she hasn’t broken her wrist going downhill”.   At the ¼ way point I was in Stinson Beach (1:33) and welcomed the pumpkin pie and sandwiches! I’m trying to get away from all these expensive “sport” foods and do my own thing and it worked out well. The only thing I carried on my person was a handheld with GUs.

Heading back to Mill Valley people started commenting on how you gotta save something for the last leg. My race was chasing cutoffs, so I knew I wanted a big fat 3 hour buffer for the last let just in case I had to hike the whole thing.  In Mill Valley (3:15) I reloaded my GUs, took some promax bar and a PB&J and headed out. I’ve been inspired by Dean Karnazes as he eats entire pizzas on the run. I used to walk and eat but I’m into it now! Don’t lose a second!    

Headed up the stars again and I was still hopeful I’d finish this race! Up and over again and it was all pretty uneventful.  Since I knew it would be hot I wore a tank top my friend made for me that said “RimtoRim 2012”.  I got so many questions about this and it was so fun to hear everyone’s stories and adventures of Grand Canyon running. It certainly made the time go by!  Into Stinson Beach again at 5:25 and I had slowed down but I had my 3 hour cushion to finish the last quarter and I was thrilled. 

As with any race you start leap frogging back and forth and I continued to cheer people on. One guy stopped completely and I said, “C’mon- let’s go”.  As I passed he was on his phone texting!  I said “Let’s do this thing.”  He replies, “I’m closing deals.”  And trying to be nice I said, “Close those deals so you can pay for race entries.”   Instead of being nice he has to show off (granted I’ve now passed him so look who’s faster boyfriend!!!!).  He says, “I run ultrasign up so I race anything for free.”  Oh- well Hot f’ing Momma. Woop Dee Freaking Doo.  So I’m done being nice to Mr Texter Showoff so I say with a sweet smile- “Oh Ya- that’s great. When I signed up it said I’d finish this race in 6:30.  I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants- I even posted it on facebook I got such a laugh out of it! You might want to reconsider your algorithm.”   He didn’t say much, and I proceeded to whip his @$$.

So here we are, kind of in a line heading up the last hill- there are about 10 of us together at this point.  We hit the top and people are still leapfrogging.  We come to the last 1 mile downhill- 648 stairs or so and I’m done. Fried. Cooked.  I’ve been running so slow that I seem to attract people that are having their worst day ever and want to tell me about it. I just reply, “this is my first ultra and I’m kicking major butt.”  As we start at the stairs- I just plow out of there. No dancing or prancing, I’m now FLYING down the stairs.  Looking at the finish times no one was even interested in finishing strong along with me (or they were afraid of spraining an ankle).  I roll in strong at 7:13!  As I’m grumbling and mumbling that I’M NEVER IN MY LIFE GOING TO DO SOMETHING SO STUPID AGAIN I am offered Runner’s Crack- a super cute running skirt and pullover! Free- for me!!!!!   When are 2013 signups? 

Thank you to everyone that gave me advice this whole year!  I feel like I’ve been through every injury and recovered!  My first ultra I finished strong on a beautiful course on the famous Dipsea Trail! Does it get much better?  YES!!!!!! 2 minutes after I finish my husband and 3 kids show up! I couldn’t believe it! He never comes to races-E.V.E.R! (ok- he came to my first ½ and my first marathon over the last 6 years).  It is a long drive up to Marin and I just couldn’t even believe it.  We milled about for a long time enjoying pizza and drink.    A little something I learned from Scott Jurek’s book- For the last ½ hour of the finish clock we headed up to the street crossing and cheered on the finishers.  While I wasn’t the “winner” cheering on the last, it was so great that my little kids, dh and I could stop traffic for the ones to come in!

And the insane cycle continues. What was supposed to be my first and last ultra may just have started something really really fun!

Andie- Officially an ultra marathoner (once) :-)

Congrats, Andie! Sounds like an amazing time.

As for the pics, you can't upload them directly. Park them somewhere (free image hosting site, or Facebook set to "public"), get the url, and paste it in the little Insert Image box.

runtraildc

Congratulations, Andie!  thanks for the RR. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, great time!

9400 ft in 28.4 miles make my toughest race yet, the Hyner, look like a walk in the park.

Way to take those steps!

And welcome to the ultra runners!

Run for fun.

RabbitChaser

Congratulations, Andie! It sounds like you ran a good race and had fun. Very cool that your dh and kids surprised you! Thanks for sharing the RR.

Ultra Cowboy

Wow, I'm impressed. that is a tough Ultra to say the least.  I've run one way on the Dipsea and taken the shuttle back.  The motion sickness almost made me wish I ran back to Mill Valley instead. 

WYBMADIITY

Save

Wandering Wally

Nice job ultra runner!  

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

runfastandie

THanks guys!!!!  I want a sticker "I'm an ultra runner" but to do that I need to run a 50K so I can get a sticker.  I guess they don't make a sticker for 48.6K!!

I can't take those pictures off the website- I guess I'd need to do a screen shot and edit it.  WHile I'm not happy with the photos I am ordering them for my stocking!

nc tam

Many congrats on a great run!

So they were giving out running skirts? With the logo?

I enjoyed your report.  I guess it's time to start planning your next adventure.

sugnim

Super badass!  Great photos too; looks like it was a beautiful course.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Congratulations ! great race report

runfastandie

Many congrats on a great run!

So they were giving out running skirts? With the logo?

I enjoyed your report.  I guess it's time to start planning your next adventure.

Yes!!!! Running skirt with logo and zip pullover in PINK!!!! with a black logo. Still fighting trying to get pictures up.

Rocky 2- You could DEFINITELY run back- or even hike. I'd never go one way. I had the same experience when I went Rim to Rim- I would rather do the 8 hour hike back than the 4 hour MISERABLE drive.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

And the insane cycle continues. What was supposed to be my first and last ultra may just have started something really really fun!

Yes I would say you are hooked! Nice job. 

(and I think it was pretty weird and not natural for that dude to be texting/working/whatever he was doing)

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Uh oh... now what?

Some videos of the Dipsea, you just can't picture how difficult the run

Andie just did is without seeing it, but some of these help... stairs.. arrggghhhhh.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bWTjbVheVM

Ultra Cowboy

Well Andie I am looking forward to running into you at an Event someday.  Are you in the Way too Cool lottery?

WYBMADIITY

Save