Trailer Trash

I'll be in Portland, OR - Now where to Run? (Read 147 times)

AT-runner

Tim

Hey PNW's, I'll be in Portland for Christmas again this year.  3 days in the city with our oldest daughter, then 5 days in Welches.

Last year I ran Old Salmon River Trail and Mirror Lake & Tom Dick Mountain Trail.  Ran another trail near Zig Zag, but can't find the name.

Is there a "must do" trail that I should try while we are on vacation.  DW and I will drive up to an hour for a great trail.  

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Gumby66

If you've been to Portland before I assume you've done wildwood in Forest park? Wildwood can get a little boring elevation-wise further north, but then you can just plunge down one of the side trails then back up. Oil line road is major fun. Less of a trail and more of a giant mud slip and slide, uphill not recommendedSmile 

Irish Luck

Hey PNW's, I'll be in Portland for Christmas again this year.  3 days in the city with our oldest daughter, then 5 days in Welches.

Last year I ran Old Salmon River Trail and Mirror Lake & Tom Dick Mountain Trail.  Ran another trail near Zig Zag, but can't find the name.

Is there a "must do" trail that I should try while we are on vacation.  DW and I will drive up to an hour for a great trail.  

I am SO jealous. SO jealous.  Did I mention that I'm jealous?

I went to Portland a few years ago for a birthday trip with my mom.  LOVE IT!  Trails, beers, and fun people!!!!!  It is on the mister and me's "run-cation" list (bad grammar alert!).  I will be taking copious notes as the replies come in. 

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

AT-runner

Tim

If you've been to Portland before I assume you've done wildwood in Forest park? Wildwood can get a little boring elevation-wise further north, but then you can just plunge down one of the side trails then back up. Oil line road is major fun. Less of a trail and more of a giant mud slip and slide, uphill not recommendedSmile 

We've only been there once.  My daughter moved last September, and we went out for Christmas last year.  

Only did the three trails that I listed, all near Mt. Hood.  

Thanks for any input.

We hiked along some falls, and I'm sure there is a way to link up some of the falls in the Gorge. 

Uh oh... now what?

If you get to REI or Powell's Book Store, you can get a map of the trails

in the Gorge.  I think it covered both sides.

The Wildwood Trail (in Portland itself) is a big city surprise, miles and

miles of beauty in forests.

A decent starter:  http://www.40mileloop.org/trail_forestpark.htm

If you have driving time and the weather is decent (remember that

is a relative term, out here we don't pay much attention to rain), try

for Silver Falls State Park.  It is an hourish southerly from Portland,

but the waterfall loop is beautiful.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_211.php

rgot

xor

We've only been there once.  My daughter moved last September, and we went out for Christmas last year.  

Only did the three trails that I listed, all near Mt. Hood.  

Thanks for any input.

We hiked along some falls, and I'm sure there is a way to link up some of the falls in the Gorge. 

Aside from the easy logistics of Forest Park... head back out to the waterfalls.  Fun fun trails at the waterfalls.  And... waterfalls.  I could spend the rest of my life running those.  However, dunno if there's much snow up top yet.  Where there is, still some running down low.

And an EXCELLENT 50k in March.

AT-runner

Tim

Thanks for the input.  Looks like I'll do a waterfall run at the Gorge for some steep hills and Forest Park for a long run.  Then we'll head to Mt Hood region and I can look for some new fun.

ElfRunner

I was just thinking of asking the same question! I'm looking to move to Portland in about 6 months (...provided I can find a job). My SO has been living there for a year now and we both love it. However, I'm always looking for new places to run there when I'm visiting and will (hopefully) be looking for some new "home trails" soon. 

Uh oh... now what?

There is also the Oregon Trail Series.

http://oregontrailseries.org/

You could browse through the various race

information pages and get an idea of some

places to run in Oregon.

There is a Northwest Ultra group in Google groups.

It is not overly active--only a couple of post in the

past six months.

rgot