Trailer Trash

Cool Wednesdailies (Read 36 times)

The pooch and I had a cool 5 mile trail run this morning.  We got most of the run in before the sun showed it's face.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

LB2

Cracked over 200 miles for July with two more runs to go between this evening and tomorrow. 200 was my goal for July, and I got there even with a totally screwed up week earlier in the month. I never really felt like I was playing catch up. In fact, I had to scale it back a little to keep from going overboard. Legs were a little dead this morning, but I ran pretty hard yesterday evening in the heat. It feels good to hit those marks.

LB2

Birdwell

Morning folks!

Got in 5 last night with the kid following me on her bike and chatting my ear off.

QOTD: Do you still live in the same town or region where you grew up?

I don't. We moved out of the state where I was born and raised into an area without any family ties.

That Utah pioneer holiday got me thinking. I am surrounded by people whose families have lived in this town for many generations.

I look at my own family and we seem to be a little more nomadic. No one has stayed where they were born. I don't know that I'd ever want to go back to the Phoenix area where I grew up, but Flagstaff could be nice.

How about you? Bonus points for anyone who still lives in the house they grew up in (because they bought it or rented it from their folks)

LB2

QOTD: Good question. I do still live in the same area. And I have often wondered why I came back after I left the Marines (I was only gone for 4 years). Family is important to me, and although I may go a week or two without talking to my parents or siblings, we are a close family. This area where I live is either the poorest or second poorest parish (county) in the state of Louisiana. And that would put it close in the running for poorest nationwide. However, in the next few years, this area could be one of the wealthiest parishes in the state. The oil boom is here and growing by the day. These are exciting times in this little rural area of the Deep South. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I'll always live here; it is home.

Bonus Question: No. My parents are still living at home. You'd think by now they would have moved out on their own... Geez.

LB2

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning Trailers!

Yesterday evening I rode the bike for an hour then ran for an hour (16 and 8 miles)...both felt good.  I'm going to scale that back a little bit and do the same thing today.

QOTD: I live about 1.25 hours from the house I grew up in, but it feels like a completely different world.  Where I grew up is very rural, now I'm in a NYC suburb.  I think my fiance and I would both like to live elsewhere (out of country?), but it is complicated by some family ties.  Our honeymoon will probably also double as a test run for a new living location.

**Ask me about streaking**

Occasional Runner

8 miles with the pup this morning. It was cool, but humid this morning, which is really unusual for the Wasatch. I really pushed the pace this morning and it felt great.

I found out yesterday that I finished 2nd overall in my race over the weekend, not 3rd. BONUS!

LB2- Well done, sir!

QOTD: I left my hometown in Washington state when I was in my mid 20's. I moved to Seattle first, then southern CA, then Tucson AZ, then to southern Oregon, then Florida, then Philly and now here to Ogden Utah. I think it has given me some valuable perspective.

runtraildc

Morning folks!  Got in a short interval run on the treadmill last night.  I know, I know- the weather is incredible right now.  Why am I on a treadmill?  Well, I needed the discipline for focused, fast intervals and I went also for a strength workout.  If it counts, I ran the long way home (that being it is normally .25 miles to the gym).

qotd:  Nope, and I live in DC, which the locals are far outnumbered by transients.  Say all you want about DC, but it's filled with people you all sent to live here.  But, I'm from MN, most of our families still live there (my mom has lived within a 15 mile radius her entire life) and we get back at least twice a year.  I'd move back in a flash if the opportunity arose.   Still, living in DC is pretty nice, too--nice, short winters.  could use with more snow, though.

QOTD:  Same city, but different neighborhood.  Probably not for too many more years though since we plan to move closer to my daughter and son in law as soon as they decide where to settle down more permanently (both are almost finished their PhDs and are thinking about kids before too long).

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

NorthernHarrier

Well I ran...but it was just 4 miles of blacktop down to the locks and back. Had a lake next to me for the run so I guess that was my nature fix. So now some more coffee and then an instant weight session then the job thing.

TrailTromper-never did hear how you like your 29er.  Well...

QOTD--I live about 7 miles from where I grew up. Different town or I guess you could say the burbs. Did move away and lived in north central Wi for 7 years then in far northern Wi for a bit. When I was about 30 we went travelling and partially looking for where we may want to live and realized the Madison area is really as good as it gets. IMHO.

Sandy-2

Going to do core training at lunch.  Will probably also run after work today, or not.

qotd: Nope.  I grew up in a small-ish town on Long Island, NY (kinda near NYC). My DW also moved there when in her teens (that's where we met).  After we got married we've lived in other L.I. towns, Brooklyn, Korea (1st time), NJ (1st time), Houston (1st time), NJ (2nd time), Houston (2nd time) and now we're headed back to Korea (2nd time). I haven't been back to our original L.I. town for about 20 years.  DW and my family are all spread out and no one lives in the original L.I. area anymore.

tbd.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning Trailers!  Got a nice 6 mile run in early (I've been making it a habit to run in the morning when it's in the 50's, we've been into the upper 80's and lower 90's for almost a month!)

qotd: I got wanderlust at a pretty early age, grew up in a small town in North Central New York, moved to Wyoming when I was 18, when I was 20, met a kid from NW Montana who got me a job logging up there.  Have been in Montana ever since (have lived all over the state in the last 35 years).

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Daydreamer1

Getting ready to head out for a nice 7.4 mile loop around the house before heading off to work this afternoon. Considering the miles I put on yesterday and how rocky some of the trails were my feet are feeling very good compared to the last several runs on those same trails. I'm going to credit it to the newest addition to my running shoe stable.  The soles were starting to tear on my Hoka Bondi Bs, so I had been using my NB 1210s.  Yesterday I wore my new Mafate 3s. It felt like I was gliding over the rocks.

QOTD: I guess I'll answer this by saying, yes and no. I was born in Maryland and lived there for 10 years so I partially grew up there. We then moved to PA in 1975, and I finished my growing up years here. I still live about 5 miles from where I spent my teenage years.

I wish I could get the bonus points.  When we moved to Pa my parents had bought a beautiful small farm. Parts of the house dated to the 1860s, there was a very nice farm pond on the property and we worked hard to keep the place well maintained. They sold it 10 years ago and built a new house. The new owners have left it fall apart and it's growing up with weeds as high as the windows and the fields are turning into woods. Apparently the outbuildings are overrun with snakes. It's sad and difficult to see when I drive by it. My parents wish they would  not have sold it. I wish I would have bought it when they did sell it, but with the acreage that was with it the price was more then I could afford.

AT-runner

Tim

Going to do a tempo run at lunch.  Weather is great here.

QOTD:  Nope.  DW and I both grew up in DC area (Silver Spring for me, Rockville for her).  Got married after college (yes, HS sweethearts) and moved to Iowa for med school.  Now live in Gettysburg, by choice because we wanted to raise our kids in a more rural area.  Now all 3 kids live in cities, go figure.  Most of family has moved out of DC area.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

DigDug2

A cool, easy 5-ish this morning on the roads.  Plan to do some fast running on the TM at lunch.  (DC - I completely understand both your mild guilt at running inside on beautiful days and your reason for doing it - sometimes the TM is just helpful in keeping the pace up.)

QOTD:  No - childhood was spent in Ohio and NJ, moved around a bit as an adult (North Carolina, NYC, London, NJ again) before landing in CT for the last 6+ years.  Family is all spread out; similar story for DW.  Our people are wanderers.

LB2

Bunch a freakin' gypsies up in here...

LB2