Trailer Trash

Sob. Discontinued Salomon's. Need Help. (Read 55 times)

runfastandie

A really BAD day.  Salmon has "updated" their XR crossmax shoe to a "2". It is now in their door to trail category which basically makes it a great fire road shoe.  I ordered the new ones and the foot print is 1/2-3/4 of a inch narrower significantly reducing trail stability.  I have SWORN by these shoes- I have never rolled an ankle because they are much wider on the bottom than they are on the top.

So please- indulge me, what do you love?  What should I look at?

I'm not even sure where to start.  I did call Solomon to find the next best thing and they were useless.

Andie Cry

Uh oh... now what?

Check for clearance house sales... theclymb.com and so on.

When Montrail changed ownership (Columbia bought them) and their quality and design changed (not for the good) it took me about six months to find another "good" shoe.  I found one pair of Vitesse at a clearance house and that lasted my through my "trail and error" (intentional misspelling) period.

On another front--I still wear road shoes on trails a lot, seldom needing [marketing defined] trail shoes.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

If you rarely run on roads in your trail shoes, I really like the Pearl Izumi N1 trail for a nice "low to the ground" but still cushioned ride with a relatively wide forefoot and a great seamless upper.  the only drawback is the outsole wears quickly on anything other than dirt.  I've used them for a lot of scrambling on granite and they have worn down really fast, but that would probably happen to any running shoe put into that situation.  Running warehouse was blowing out some Salomons a few weeks ago and I got a screaming deal on the SLab XT 5 softgrounds for this winter.  Great shoe so far, much "more" shoe than I am used to running in but they seem burly and comfortable.  From mere looking around, the NB 1210 leadville seems like a similar shoe to the crossmax.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Andie I love Cascadias except for the new version 8, look on line and order the 7's for 50 bucks.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

runtraildc

Second the cascadias 7.  I can't speak to the anti-roll abilities since that is something I do on a regular basis, but it's a great shoe overall.

RabbitChaser

I am really enjoying the Pearl Izumi EM Trail N2. It has worked great for me so far.

runfastandie

Thanks guys! I went and tried on a bunch of the recommendations.    I haven't found one yet but at least I've ruled out a whole bunch (cascadia, inov8, Saloman 3D, Mission and some others).

fimmx

Thanks guys! I went and tried on a bunch of the recommendations.    I haven't found one yet but at least I've ruled out a whole bunch (cascadia, inov8, Saloman 3D, Mission and some others).

Andie, where did you go to try on all these shoes? Roadrunner or Zombierunner or? Something has changed in my foot and my current set isn't working too well for me. I don't even know what to look for but know that I need to try out a lot of shoes.

runfastandie

I went to sports basement, rei and running revolution. Zombie is just a pain for me to drive to otherwise I'd go. Maybe next time I'm at Smi Ill go in.