Trailer Trash

Throwback Thursday (Read 33 times)

Morning! I got in 5 miles yesterday in between work and happy hour. Ran 2.3 miles home, walked the dog, then ran 2.7 miles to happy hour. Also fell on the cobblestone sidewalk in Old City, but only scraped up my knuckle. Somehow I think I manage to fall more on roads than trails. Roll eyes  Will probably get in a few easy miles tonight, last long trail run before SM50 tomorrow AM.

QOTD: What is your favorite running memory?

I would have to say finishing my first marathon. Yes, it's cheesy, but it's something I never imagined I could ever do. I was always the kid who hated running the mile in gym class, even through college.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Morning trailers,

URD day for me, my Achilles isn't responding to advil so I'm letting it rest for a day.

DW and I are heading up to New Hampshire for the weekend with friends, hoping

to sneak away for some trail miles.

QOTD: Favorite memory so far is the the years I spent in CA running the trails in

the East Bay, nothing had compared before and certainly nothing since.

AT-runner

Tim

DW and I ran an hour on the road today.  Busy day today, so I did't have time to drive to the trails.  Had 2 cars beep at us and don't know why but I guess they didn't like us on the road.

T&C - I read your blog, and can say we've all been there but you might surprise yourself about how you feel after the SM50.

jonferg67 - Hope you heal up soon.

QOTD:  Pacing my wife in her first Ultra.  She had been my crew for years of adventure racing and ultra's and finally decided she wanted to give it a go.  I was more nervous for that race than any of my own, and she did great.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

I ran for an hour on the Wisconsin trails. I'm heading to the airport soon for a flight to Arizona for some desert miles.

QOTD: Probably my FKT from earlier this month. It's certainly the most meaningful run of my life.

XtremeTaper

Took the day off yesterday but hit the gym this morning for an overdue session with the weight contraptions. I will run tonight over at Green Lane for an hour or so on the south shore/rockier trails. Looks to be a fine fall day shaping up.

QOTD: Geez. A lot of favorite memories. I think though the pacing bit I did at Massanutten in 2008 was my favorite. My best friend had a great run for his first 100 (top 10) and I paced the last 38 miles with him. The bit below is from the final 2 miles...

.... Suddenly Angus says that he thinks he hears voices behind us. Man, I hope no one is going to catch us. The run has been going so well for this to happen. About a minute later though we see another runner and his pacer coming down the hill and they are quickly upon us. We move to the right side of the trail and I’m thinking we will just allow them to pass but the guy looks over at Angus, smiles and says something like good job, and then all of a sudden the race is on! Angus kicks into another gear and for a few seconds the two 100 mile racers are going toe to toe. Then Angus is ahead of him… 10 yards, 20 yards, he looks like a man possessed. Really, from behind them I was in total awe of what I was seeing. I’m still running alongside the other guys and shout “Go Angus, kick his ass!”, as I am totally caught up in the moment. Here he is racing hard after running 100 miles! His surge has caused one his water bottles to fall out of his pack so I stop, bend down, pick it up, and manage to juggle it alongside with my other 2 handheld bottles. Then I too pick up the pace, brush by the guys who tried to pass us and say, “Excuse me, I have to go catch my runner”.

Now what seemed like a tricky rocky trail has become suddenly easy to run very fast. The rocks, the line, it’s all coming together and I’m flying down the trail not even slowing down for a few stream crossings. I just barrel through the stream crossings at the highest speed I can muster splashing like crazy so that I can catch Angus and I’m shouting encouragement the entire time. My feet are moving naturally as if they have run this section of trail a thousand times and my heart rate and breathing has pumped up to what feels like tempo pace. I glance back at the guys behind us and I think they are still attempting to keep up with us, but I don’t think they’re going to be able to pull it off. I finally reach Angus on the gravel road that leads to the ranch, and now our biggest fear is not getting caught but making a wrong turn before the finish and getting passed that way. It’s an intense moment, racing like this after so much time on the trail. We stay on course and keep up the effort as we run into the meadow and the field that leads us to the finish line and the clock. The other guys are nowhere in sight and I’m shouting at Angus and must have a grin across my face a mile wide. The most amazing running moment I have ever seen or experienced and at the end of a very long day Angus found a gear to run the last mile in 7 minute pace I am sure, if not a bit faster. It was a totally exhilarating way to end the run, and once he crossed that finish line I gave him a big hug and we laughed like the trail running fools that we are.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

sugnim

Howdy all.  I'm torn between running up Mt. Sentinel with a group this evening to check out a cave, and staying home with my 2.5 week old son.  Now that I am back at work this week, it feels like I never get to see him.  He sleeps much of the time, and his most wakeful hours are also the hours that I am at work.  I have a feeling that my son will win tonight, so I may have another URD.

QOTD:  My favorite?  There are really too many to name.  Most of my favorite memories involve me & my dog out on a quiet trail on a nice day.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Tonight is ladies night so 7 miles with the girls and Earl.

QOTD: Still on the Desolation Wildreness high so I choose that one, breaking 4 hours for the first time on a marathon was another and the first one was good too

Xtreme:  I liked it!

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Sandy-2

Did 3 "instant miles" this morning.  Nothing special.

qotd: There are a few of course, but the ones I remember most are when running along side my DD while she was riding a horse, especially when she was really young.  I couldn't believe that this little kid of mine was able to control such a huge animal.

tbd.

Wandering Wally

8 miles last night in the sun/wind/snow/rain/dark.

QOTD - Favorite memories?  Finishing Week 9, day 3 of Couch to 5K a few years ago;  The last couple of winters I have had at least one run with a full moon and fresh snow.  That is pure awesomeness.;  New Year's Day 2012 I was able to get out for a trail run during a snow storm.  How fun!  I had the woods to myself and the snow wasn't too deep yet.  The wind wasn't blowing very hard so the only sounds were my footfalls and the hiss of the snow as it came down and brushed against the oak leaves still on the trees.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Afternoon trailers!

I blew yesterday's run and office football pool winnings on a lot of chinese food (lets just say they included 6 fortune cookies).  That leaves a lot of work for me to do throughout the rest of the week and I have a tight schedule.

QOTD: I was running at a new (to me) park I was lost and a bit panicked when I reached the top of the "mountain" (read East Coast mountain) and looked out over 30 miles of greenery with the NYC skyline far off in the distance.  It was the kind of moment where you just have to take it all in and appreciate everything you have.  (JByrum - this was part of the Mountain Madness course).

XtremeTaper - nice passage, I like to hear about that kind of grit.

PS - is the advertisement for me to browse through 10000 asian women a result of me mentioning chinese food?

**Ask me about streaking**

Queen of Nothing

Sue

PS - is the advertisement for me to browse through 10000 asian women a result of me mentioning chinese food?

I've been blamming LongBeard for that advertisement ever since he mentioned his old girlfriend. Sum Yun Ho.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Chnaiur

Going out to do 8 miles in the park now.

QOTD: I can't pick one, but some recent highlights are Desolation Wilderness and Point Reyes. Yosemite last year as well.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

I like hearing about everyone's memories.  I often think back to one of my first "real" runs in 2009 when I was dealing with tremendous grief over the death of my 5-year-old brother. I was feeling very emotional during this run, and at a difficult moment, I looked to the right of the trail and saw that someone had left a little lego man sitting on a railing. At that moment it really made me feel connected to my brother, and 5 years later I still think about him often when I run.

Daydreamer1

Just got back in from 9.6 miles hilly road miles. Very slow, but that was because I beat my legs up pretty good the past two days on the bike trainer and elliptical.

QOTD: Probably finishing my first trail race, a 25k run. Not so much because of the distance or the finish, but because I ran it with my son.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sort of a fartlek day today, running from point to point on the Immaculata xc course to cheer the team at their home invitational. Totaled about 5 miles mostly on grass.

QOTD: Favorite running memory by far is my recently completed first ultra, the 12-Hour North Coast 24 Run.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.