Trailer Trash

Driving to and fro (Read 63 times)

Gator eye

I signed up for a 50m race the first weekend of Jan. and instead of getting a room the night before like I do for most races I decided to drive the 3 hours to the starting line the morning of which means I have to leave around my house around 2 am to make the 6 am start.  I usually don't sleep well in a motel room anyway so I decided I probably wouldn't be out much sleep. I think the drive home after running 50 in cold weather might be my biggest challenge.

What is the farthest you have drove to and from the day of a long race?

I definitely prefer a hotel, I usually make a little "vacation" out of it. The Stone Mill 50 was only 2.5 hours from my house and I still stayed two nights. It helps that the rate was very reasonable. It was very nice to go in the hot tub after the race too Smile

I guess the farthest I'll go is an hour or 1.5 hours. I need sleep!

NorthernHarrier

I've driven 4 hours once and 3 hours several times. I think these days I wouldn't want to exceed 2 hours by much.   Driven 10 hours immediately after a 50k. That's tough. Your legs stiffen up and when you stop for gas you can't get out of the truck.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I don't mind driving after 50Ks.  I've done about 2-3 hours before.

I would be in no condition to drive that far after 50+ miles.  It was bad enough going 15 minutes back to my hotel after my 50.  I was just so exhausted.  It would have been like driving drunk.  But you'll probably be more coherent than me.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

After my first 50K I drove home from Moab, about a 4 hour drive.

After my Black Hills 50 mile DNF, we hopped in the car and drove 8+ hours to a hotel halfway home.

I've stayed at hotels withing 10 minutes of the start line both times.

The ride after Black Hills was painful. We stopped a few times and it took me ten minutes just to get out of the car (much to my kids delight. They thought I look hilarious)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've driven 3+ hours after a marathon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Chnaiur

Not running and not a race, but I've driven three hours, ascended a mountain on skis (6 hours), and then got stuck in 7-hour traffic on the way home. Going there was OK, going home was awful.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Sandy-2

I usually try to get to a race the day before, I've slept in hotels, but before 50 milers or 100 milers I have also slept in a tent near the start.

My longest trips on the same day as I finished are:

Seoul Marathon: ran Sunday morning and then flew Seoul to Houston that same afternoon (it's about a 16 hr flight).

Cactus Rose 100 mile:  finished Sunday morning then a friend and I traded driving duties from Bandera to Houston that afternoon (a 5 hour drive).

Pinhoti 100 mile:  finished Sunday morning then my DD drove us about 5 hours or so to a hotel towards home, we completed the rest of the 9 hour drive the following day.

And next up in 2 weeks....

Cajun Coyote 100 mile:  here's the plan and it's gonna suck....  (I guess I won't be hanging out with the RA Trailer Trash having a few PBRs).  Finish Sunday morning, then drive the 4 hours to Houston, then Sunday evening at 8:45pm get on a flight to London for a business trip (it's about a 10 hr flight).

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

And next up in 2 weeks....

Cajun Coyote 100 mile:  here's the plan and it's gonna suck....  (I guess I won't be hanging out with the RA Trailer Trash having a few PBRs).  Finish Sunday morning, then drive the 4 hours to Houston, then Sunday evening at 8:45pm get on a flight to London for a business trip (it's about a 10 hr flight).

That's going to suck! See Jo for beer DURING the race. She'll hook you up!

I routinely board airplanes right after a 50 or 100 mile race. I fly first class, so I get in a window seat, have a few beers and fall asleep.

SillyC

Oh, that's gonna be awful!

I did something moronic once - I ran a 50k that started at midnight.  I was back on the road after the race by 7AM, and drove 2 hours to my parents' house.  Where I picked up my children, drove 1 hour to the airport, returned the rental car, and then drove to the airport for a noon flight.  The most difficult part was that I was "hitting the wall" during the entire trip.  I had packed snacks, for sure, but if I went more than 90 minutes without shoving something down my piehole, I felt terrible.  But that didn't even work because my name is mom.  I pull out a snack, they beg for my snack, and I reflexively just put it in their mouths instead of mine.

Hey, are you going to wear compression socks?  I bought a pair of expensive ones because I'm paranoid about DVT.  They felt great on the plane!

sugnim

The farthest I've ever driven to a race is 3 miles.  But then, there are a lot of races (both trail & road) in and around my town and I usually bike to them.  The farthest I've ever biked to a race is 2 miles.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

3 hours! Been there and done that - for 50k distance.  1.5 hours for 50 miles.  For me, my body is thriving on sitting down afterwards.  It's the getting out of the car when I get home that sucks.  But I hear you about not being able to sleep much the night before.  I have left home

pre 2am to get to a race.  DW thinks it's crazy but you got to do what you got to do.

After pacing at OC for 8 hours, up all night, I drove 4 hours home.  I pulled over off the highway at a rest area for a 10 minute powernap and it helped keep me awake for the rest of the drive.  But there is a limit - I just haven't found it yet.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

I think this is going to be highly variable for anyone, based on what works for you.  I routinely drive home after long races.  Longest drive was about 11 hours after a marathon.  Not recommended if you're not used to it though, but since it's my normal, it's no big deal.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Sandy-2

Hey, are you going to wear compression socks?  I bought a pair of expensive ones because I'm paranoid about DVT.  They felt great on the plane!

Yes, but I don't wear them while running.  I'll wear them in the car afterward and then later in the plane.  I have those CEP things, and they do feel nice.  I also worry about DVT.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Occasional Runner

Yes, but I don't wear them while running.  I'll wear them in the car afterward and then later in the plane.  I have those CEP things, and they do feel nice.  I also worry about DVT.

You might check out the new Zensah Ultra Sleeves. Greater compression and better technology in how the compression is applied. More on this later....