Trailer Trash

Fueling Info (Read 30 times)

Birdwell

I came across this today

https://firstendurance.com/2013/03/05/fueling-for-a-100-mile-running-race/

First of all, just ignore the fact that it's from a specific brand. You could easily substitute any Hammer or Succeed product.

What I found interesting was the detailed plans that some of the "elites" were following.

Specifically, the calories per hour. They're all pretty high, even for the female runners (Darcy Africa, Krissy Moehl)

Anyway, thought I'd share.

Uh oh... now what?

I read it as being 250-350 calories per hour.  That brackets the "about 300 calories per hour"

I have heard about for many years.  The breakfast variations is interesting.  Those "real"

breakfasts of toast, eggs, pancakes, hash browns, even ham, bacon, or sausage, and

coffee were great starts to some well-ran ultras.

When running, prerace diet and in-race fueling can get pretty sloppy.

When racing, the more details you pay attention to, the less risk you are taking.

Puzzled why you think the female runners would need more calories than the males?

Birdwell

John, I also had heard the 250-350 calories for hour, but I was also lead to believe (and pardon my non-politically correct caveman thinking) that because females are generally smaller than males, they needed less calories per hour.

I weigh in at 215 lbs and I shoot for 275 calories per hour. I'm pretty sure Darcy Africa weighs just a bit less than me, and she's going for 300 per hour on her high end?  It makes me think I've been aiming to low.

So much to figure out.

Uh oh... now what?

The first thing that comes to my mind (after muffins) would be that the blog you referenced is about racing.  Caloric needs go down as body weight goes down, but caloric needs go up as energy expenditures go up (racing)--no matter the body size.  That "smaller size" idea needs to consider height/weight ratio (and if really serious body fat, BMI, and such) and not just the mental image that women are smaller.

My wife (when we wuz younger and faster) would eat about the same amount, calorie wise--I tended to use solid food ("real" food) while she preferred liquid supplement stuff.  I was in the 6'2"ish height and about 200 pounds, she is about a foot shorter (several pounds lighter).

I think I ended up playing with half a dozen "how many calories per hour do you burn if..." charts, tables, and spreadsheets before I was able to feel comfortable with how much to eat and when.  I thought in terms of 1200 calories per hour for flatish road sort of stuff.  I added about 300 calories per hour if out on the trails and pushing.  Found out what all I could eat prerace (or run), gave vague consideration to how many calories there was in breakfast... then did some sort of witchcraft guessing about how far into the run (race) to start eating.  Somewhere along the way the nibbling thing started.  Instead of gulping down a bunch at the aid station, have stuff with you (baggie full from the aid station) and nibble as you go.

The more difficult part might be finding what stays down when you have been running for five or six hours.  That changes a lot for some folks.

Weather can screw up the whole process.  Some folks can't eat much when the heat comes in.  Some need to switch to liquid supplement or go totally liquid.  At Leadville my stomach went off duty at about 30 miles in. I was sort of surviving on popsicles, ramen, and Slim Fast stuff from 30 to about 70, then, all of a sudden, potato soup, brownies and a cup of milk was great and it was on to the end.  There are no ironclad rules for this stuff.  I'm pretty sure the 7:50 I ran at Coast Hills (reasonably challenging 50 miles of trails) was done on huge breakfast followed by almost totally liquid stuff... I was scared to death to be in the lead group and afraid to slow down to eat--all sorts of things come into play.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Interesting article. The info matches pretty well my own experiences.

On average, I consume about 250 calories per hour, mostly liquid, but when I get really hungry, I may use small bites of solid food, depending on what's available, and how I feel. That said, in every long race that I've run (50k, 50M), there has been some time span (typically 1 or 2 hours) where I consumed 150 cal/hour (mainly just sports drink) or less because of nausea.

I agree that weather can screw up the whole nutrition plan. I suffer a lot in the heat and tend to fall behind with my eating, and I need more calories in wet, cold conditions.

Run for fun.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Interesting article. The info matches pretty well my own experiences.

On average, I consume about 250 calories per hour, mostly liquid, but when I get really hungry, I may use small bites of solid food, depending on what's available, and how I feel. That said, in every long race that I've run (50k, 50M), there has been some time span (typically 1 or 2 hours) where I consumed 150 cal/hour (mainly just sports drink) or less because of nausea.

I agree that weather can screw up the whole nutrition plan. I suffer a lot in the heat and tend to fall behind with my eating, and I need more calories in wet, cold conditions.

I'm also in the 250-300 calories/hour range, but have also suffered bouts of nausea where my calorie intake goes down; it sucks knowing that you need calories and you can't even force them in Sad

my pre-race (long run) breakfast is in the  ~ 900 calorie range (granola/yogurt/muffin)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √