Trailer Trash

LB2 and other turkey experts (Read 38 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

On my run today, I came across the strangest thing: Turkey tracks in the snow, lots and lots of them, all following the trail for about 0.1 mile or a bit more. Crossing a creek, staying on the trail, over a bridge, still on the trail, including the bridge part.

Then there was a fallen tree, with the roots still attached, to that they formed a "hill". Turkey tracks all went up that "hill", turned around on top, then came down on the same side, so that they basically did a switchback on top of that "hill", then came down, then continued on the trail.

Was that real? Why do turkeys do that?

I was puzzled. Maybe you can give some insight?

Run for fun.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Turkeys are one of the only wild animals that relies heavily on its vision to detect danger.  turkeys also tend to play follow the leader when walking along a trail.  The lead turkey was probably choosing the highest ground to keep an eye out for predators and the others followed....as far as turning around, I would guess that something made them uncomfortable about going down the other side.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks, mecrowe, that sounds good. (insert lightbulb here)

About the "turning around" - yes, as it was a ball of roots, the turkeys would have had to cross over the sharp edge to get to the other side. Clear to me now why they turned around. (insert next lightbulb here)

Run for fun.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

glad I could help......I don't know much about running.....but wildlife is something I'm pretty familiar with.