Trailer Trash

Sunny Saturdailies (Read 31 times)

The pooch and I had a nice 6 mile trail run.  Marley was reluctant to go, but seemed to enjoy the run.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

6 miles on trails and I think I lost 5 pounds on the run.  84 and humid when I was done.

I have a friend running the North Face 50k in DC today.  Hope he is holding up with the temperature.

TT - glad to see Marley's out there running.  Does she splash in ant water on your runs?

QOTD:  At what temperature do you alter your outside run?   What changes do you make?

I'll make plans for an earlier start time and have cut runs short if I'm overheating.  If temps are above 88 at the start (I run in the morning), I may opt for TM.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Heading out for 30:00 min.  Getting ready for a wedding after that (not mine).

QOTD:  I'll cut short a workout if I have to.  I generally try to just fight through the heat.  I could run at night, but I prefer to soak up the sun.

**Ask me about streaking**

Brian Runner

Two hour, 10 mile trail run this morning with a friend. Sticky, hot, itchy etc.. but otherwise always a blessing to be able to get out there.

runtraildc

Hi all!

Did an instant 3 miler this morning.  My running partner and I got a late start and had less time than originally planned.  It was already fairly humid and warm by 9 am- more than I expected.

AT- good luck to your friend.  The weather could be a lot worse for this time of year so hopefully it works for your friend!  DS and I are doing the 10K tomorrow.

TT- glad to hear that Marley is back running.  I hope this is a good sign

Jamezilla- enjoy the quick run (and the wedding)!

qotd:  summer in DC means really humid am runs or really hot pm runs.  It makes all the more reason to run on trails instead of roads because the temp difference between the two can be big.  90 degrees is where I start reconsidering things.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Morning all!  the rain has finally stopped, unfortunately I won't be able to touch any of my trails for at least 3-4 days due to ankle to calf deep mud Sad

No long run this weekend (race next weekend) I'll probably run the Yellowstone Hill north of town out and back for 7-ish miles, I can actually run on the shoulder of the road which is gravel so I don't have to run on pavement

qotd: if the temps are going to be above 80 (much of June, July and August)- I run early morning or at night- I'm a real wussy w/ the heat, I'd prefer to run in 5 degree weather vs 85 Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

runtraildc -  Good luck to you and your DS.  Have fun tomorrow.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Chnaiur

Today will be 3 miles before a weight session. Finally went back to one of my favorite trails yesterday: 15 very private and undulating  miles on single width trails in the forest. I became nauseous after two hours though - I urgently need to stop drinking to much sparkling water at work. I think it totally messes up hydration and salt balance.

QOTD: I don't run hard below 0F because it messes with my lungs. Above 85F I wait until things cool down. I've become much better with heat since I moved to the Bay Area, but 85F in dry heat is still my max.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Occasional Runner

I rested today in anticipation of the race tomorrow. It's nearly bedtime here, so I'm getting my gear ready and making last minute arrangements. Tomorrow should be interesting.

I'll touch base after I finish this thing. I hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Snowdenrun

I ran a good almost 9 miles yesterday and felt pretty strong.

QOTD: I live in a maritime climate and the weather change is not the significant year round. The cold doesn't stop me, I just put on more clothes. If I let the rain stop me I would never run. But I am no longer used to the heat. If I were to run in 80+ degrees it would be fairly difficult. You can only take off so many clothes.

Low_O2

Hello all!

Got in 16.2 with ~3600 ft of gain with the dog this morning. Ran along the foothills, up the Pino trail and along the crest trail before turning around and heading back. Felt a bit sluggish, but felt good to be out on the trails.

QOTD: I have to watch the temps mostly to keep my dog happy. Since there is very little water around here, he gets heated up quickly above ~75deg. So has the temps rise I try to get my runs in on the higher elevation trails which are much cooler. Otherwise try to run early or after dark in the evening.

Good luck in the races Lace and DC!

TT - glad to see Marley's out there running.  Does she splash in ant water on your runs?

Yeah, there are stream crossings on pretty much all of our runs and on most runs we are also next to either a river or lake for some portion of the run.  She isn't much for swimming, but does love to splash.

QOTD: I run in pretty much any temps, but above 80 or so I try to run where there is shade most of the time and  and frequent water for Marley.  That said I think that it depends on how acclimated to the heat we are.  I tend to be more cautious about the heat in the beginning of the hot weather and less later.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Sandy-2

Today’s run was brutally butt-ugly.  Went up to the state park and started at 6am.  At that time it was 80 deg and 100% humidity.  Such is summer training in east Texas.  The temps went up from there and the air was super saturated with steam in no time.  Hooray !!!!

After only about 15 miles I was cooked, as in, stick a fork in me I’m done, cooked.  Two miles later I was back at the car (DIY aid station) and contemplating which loop to do. . .  I convinced my running buddy to head out without me since I was done, but gonna grunt out a few miles while he soldiered on with the planned 10 mile loop.  I ended up forcing myself to carry on for about 4 or 5 more miles.  Calling it a day at 21 miles.

I think the temp was about 90 when I finished.  Used the hose behind the Nature Center at the park (where our DYI aid station was located) to maximum effect to cool down my core temp when I was done.  I was ok as far as hydration, eating, S-capping, cramping, peeing, etc. was concerned, I was just hot and in a humidity-rich cloud of heat and just couldn’t cool down out on the trail.

But now that I’m done and home, it still was a good training run and one I can think back on when the going gets tough in the future.  I don’t have any qualms about bailing early, actually I think it was smart in a way.  By the way, my running buddy was totally toast when he got back, took him a long time to feel better and get his hydration and cramping under control.

So that’s it, planned to do 50k today, but begged out at 21 miles.  It was butt-ugly.

qotd: I’ll run in anything.  But then again, see above.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Hi!  New to the Trailer Trash group.  Ran 10 today, tapering for a 50K next weekend (Big Basin, Santa Cruz mountains).  It'll be my 2nd so excited and nervous.

QOTD: Whew, some of you are really dealing with high temps.  Like Snowdenrun, I'm on the coast where it's never too hot or cold.  Maybe two days per year it'll get close to 80, but I usually run pretty early in the a.m. so no need to alter anything if we're having a rare warm spell.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Daydreamer1

Just got back from my 30k. Last years time was 4:39, this years was 6:18. Several reasons for that, with two being prominent. One was the heat and humidity that I'm not used to, and the other was lack of training due to my ankle injury. Overall it sucked. If I have time tomorrow at work I'll try to post a brief RR.

Sandy - I've had the opportunity to run in South Mississippi and Texas a couple of times in the middle of summer. The humidity just kills me.

Gatsbybird - Welcome to the forum. Since you are running a race in Big Basin, I'm assuming you live in Northern California.

QOTD: I've run when it's down into the upper teens and I rather enjoy short runs at that temp. For heat I don't like temps over 80 and if I can't run in the woods I'll switch to the bike instead, unless I have a specific training goal that I need to run. For the bike I'll ride in almost anything. I've already left the house at 95 degrees and when I got back it was 103. The tires were making marks on the pavement. That would have been a 30-35 mile ride. Heat doesn't really bother me on the bike.