Trailer Trash

Flooded Fridailies (Read 39 times)

runtraildc

Up north of Toronto.  Still winter here, the lake is still frozen over.  Got in almost 6 miles last night along the lakefront while still in Toronto.  Sleet, rain and 40 mph wind gusts.  Was a great run!  At least mentally, legs a little tired.  rest day today since I've been in meetings.

qotd:  maybe

Sandy-2

Did 6.5 miles this morning.  An abbreviated loop around Richmond Park.  I did a marathon in the park about a year or so ago (3.5 loops) so I know the park pretty well (at least the outer perimeter anyway).  The path was a little muddy due to all of the rain they have had over here as well.  All of my runs in Richmond the last few days have been on dirt paths or trails along the river or in the park which is really nice for recovery.

Today I moved from the hotel in Richmond (sort of a suburb) to my hotel in downtown London, so it's back to city runs for me the next few days.  Bummer.

qotd: I'm 56 and fighting it kicking and screaming all the way.  I'm in complete denial.

tbd.

Daydreamer1

Whew, what a day. First it was working on my Algebra, ( I hate that stuff) then Biology (I love it), then back to algebra followed by another round of Biology. If I pass this algebra course I'll never take another one if I can help it. Then I got in 1 1/2 hours on the elliptical. Good mental training for running long. I'm actually thinking about doing a 2 hour or more session on Monday. It works the quads and glutes but is easy on the ankle.

QOTD: It seems like most of you feel your aging well and I don't find that surprising, after all, it's proven that active people live healthier lives. While I'm aging well and can do things that people 20 years younger then me can't it's the mental part that gets to me. This year has been a struggle to get my performance up to where I want it to be. I'm just not quite as fast as last year and I've put in more training time. I just tend to get frustrated when I see a 11 year old that can beat me in a 1/2 marathon. I'm ecstatic for the kid to see them do that well, but frustrated that I'm not getting faster.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

What an appropriate title for the fridaily.  I ran into this nice big puddle and its' guardian on my easy 6 mile run today.

QOTD:  At this point I'm still getting into better and better shape, so apart from a severely receding hairline, I'm not feeling the aging yet.

Uh oh... now what?

Slow shuffling that might have been mistaken for running if the viewer was a long ways away and not watching me. Lots of XT today too.

I am behind on blurts and blurbs and everyone has gone to bed by now, so...

Daydreamer1: The elliptical might not jolt, but the movement still might be irritating--would a day or two of rest, ice, elevation stuff be all bad?

Birdwell: Some days I feel like an 85 year old trapped in 97 year old body.

DigDug2: Yes. No.

boyjame: I tried all three of the stair machines and gave up--could not figure out the settings to make it feel like anything useful.

TrailTromper: We rarely get thunderstorms here--do miss them, don't miss dodging the falling things.

NorthernHarrier: We keep sending warm rain east and something happens to it.

Jamezilla: Good philosophy...

FTYC...that just doesn't lound legit at all--brings back memories of pointing at some "replaced" things that had no wrench scars, all the paint still unscathed...

mtwarden---...on tap... uh...

T&C----- one missing long run won't hurt you, relax, do what you can in the time you have, a little rest might do the mind and body good--at 29 you will have many many more opportunities

RockyII ... 81º? We thought of yesterday's 52º as almost one-shirt weather. I miss my trips to Texas.

snowden -- My wife put over 16,000 miles on her first artificial hip, is busy wearing out the second one now.

lace_up ... have a good weekend down there

runtraildc -- I miss seeing frozen lakes, but the stillness bothered us.

Sandy-2 -- there were a bunch of route descriptions for the London area over in the ultra forum. We've been having fun with the ship tracking Web site, ship sizes, names... how do we tell which ones are yours?

Daydreamer1.2 -- 'scuse my nosiness--what are you studying for? majoring in?

jmctav23 ... why are there no footprints coming out of the puddle?  Are you new here?  If yes, welcome.  You are welcome here, new or not, I just have not noticed you... senility and so on.

QOTD: Are you aging gracefully? Or if you are younger, do you envision yourself aging gracefully as you age?

We joke about having turned into one of those nutty old couples that need to quit going out there, but we don't know how to not go out there.

We need water that moves, trees that are old, mountains that beckon, and an occasional whale. They give solace and welcome our plodding feet, gracefully or not.

Snowdenrun

Well put.

We joke about having turned into one of those nutty old couples that need to quit going out there, but we don't know how to not go out there.

We need water that moves, trees that are old, mountains that beckon, and an occasional whale. They give solace and welcome our plodding feet, gracefully or not.

jmctav23

2/3rds training

You talkin people foot prints or duck footprints?  As for people, the puddle was skirt-able around the right side, but it's mostly just a four-wheeler, dirtbike, and horse riding trail.  I have yet to see another trail runner out there even though it's just 5 minutes out of town.  

As for my existence here, I was a bit of a lurker over on the RW trail and beginner forums before everything went to crap there.  I posted a bit in the dailys when I was living in PA over winter, then I went on a road trip to find a new home and stopped posting often, but did run in some great places along the way (I may make a thrread about it all when it's finished).  Now I'm in northern Arizona and exploring some really great trails and feel like sharing more.

jmctav23 ... why are there no footprints coming out of the puddle?  Are you new here?  If yes, welcome.  You are welcome here, new or not, I just have not noticed you... senility and so on.

Daydreamer1

Daydreamer1: The elliptical might not jolt, but the movement still might be irritating--would a day or two of rest, ice, elevation stuff be all bad?

Daydreamer1.2 -- 'scuse my nosiness--what are you studying for? majoring in?

It's been two weeks since I sprained it so I haven't been using it too much. Started with a bike ride a few days ago, some gentle walking and light running and now trying to get a little more strenuous. I have a 50k planned next weekend that I was trying to keep up my fitness for but I'm thinking I'll have to drop down to the 25k version instead and just hike it. But you are right that the elliptical does irritate it some, so I'm resting it until Monday, which is easy since I work the weekend.

No problem with the nosiness. I'm currently a Paramedic. I'm looking to switch to Respiratory Therapy. When I went to Paramedic school many, many, moons ago I didn't get a degree. Now Respiratory requires a degree at most colleges, so I'm playing catch up with some basic courses.