Trailer Trash

The Winter Trail (Half) Marathon - Eagle Creek Park, IN (Read 31 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

A few days ago I made the decision to start a new chapter in my running, putting more miles on the trails than road and making 2014 more about trails than anything else. With that decided, I started researching with the help of another on here who gave me some great links to races in my state. I made a list of possible races for next year (not quite done yet) and kept eye-balling the Winter Trail (Half) Marathon which takes place on January 25 in Eagle Creek Park, Indy, Indiana and at night. My initial plan was to run my first trail half marathon at the Indian-Celina Challenge in June, but after much thinking (okay.... a few minutes of thinking) I made the decision and registered for the January race. I will admit, I am nervous as I most likely won't be able to go over the course myself until race day/evening so I won't be familiar with it. The good thing is that there will still be some light at the start so my eyes can adjust, though I will still have my headlamp (of course). I am so excited!!!!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Unless they've changed the start time, it'll be dark at the start.  It's amazing how fast it went from dusk to "oh, wow, it's really dark!"  Fun race though. I've done it the past two years.  Still debating whether to do 2014, I guess I better sort that out soon!  It's a good course for your first trail half. If it's cold, just be careful on the wood bridges: they got really slick as the frost settled.  If it's above freezing and we get any rain the week before, there's a section that'll be a mucky swamp.  Otherwise, it's very runnable.  Last year, we had a lovely full moon and clear skies. Watching the moon rise over the reservoir was gorgeous.

enjoy!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I can't wait Smile , the only thing that could stop me is really bad weather (okay, DH would decide on not going). Checking directions on google map we are almost 3 hours away from the race, so if any kind of really dangerous, bad weather comes up I won't be able to do the race. Normally January is pretty boring for Indiana but you never know, and hopefully by the time January arrives my legs will be used to trails and all the obstacles one can throw at me, I am sure I will be running some icey trails this winter and I had almost lost my shoe in the Howl at the Moon 5 miler this past June that was at night (9 p.m) and some of the trail was really muddy and crap. I'm just going to pray for great weather (no blizzards or sleet, or rain). We'll most likely drive up there in the afternoon Saturday and then have dinner and head back after the race.

I'm so excited!!!! Big grin

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

moonlightrunner

I am considering this race... Jan 25 happens to

be my birthday...it would be a great gift to myself. But..I am going to wait and see how Tecumseh goes in December. It sounds like a fun race.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I can't wait Smile

PRs

charlesmoman

Here is the finisher medal I got 2 years ago at the event.

I like unique medals.

PA Medal

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That is definitely unique, how big is that?

PRs

charlesmoman

This will help . . .

in hand

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Wow....... that is pretty darn big lol.

PRs

Were you there this year, Charles? They went with a commercially made medal that had glow in the dark enamel.  No more unique handmade wooden medals. I like the new medal, but it was nice to have the handmade ones, too.

charlesmoman

Not last year - probably not this year either.

If I do anything it will be the Huff, and if the weather is good, the IT 100 FA50k after Thanksgiving.

My 24-week IT 100 training schedule starts November 11.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That sounds like a really cool medal, though I would have liked one of the unique wooden ones. But having one to show I survived this race will be just as cool.

PRs