Trailer Trash

Sunburn Saturdaily (Read 25 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Got a little burned yesterday at the pool. I made sure the kids were covered but I missed a few spots on me.  DW was amused.

Squeaked in 10 miles this morning.  Nice sunrise.  Should be another good weather day...pool again?

QOTD: pass

Looks like Killian easily won HR, broke the CCW record even with getting lost.  He's a freak!

And looks like Jurek is cutting his AT FKT really close.  He appears to have gone through the night last night.  Unless he hits a snag, he should summit Katahdin tomorrow morning or mid day (narrowly edging the record).

Have a great day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

Did 12 jet lag miles this morning.  It was hot and very sunny. I also got a little burned.

I've also been following HR and Jurek closely.  The woman's race is epic!  Great stuff!

The course marking at HR are really sparse. But it sounds like the part going up Oscar's was especially light this year. Perhaps the goats decided to mess with them too. As an example, there were a few stretches last year where there were no markings for 5 to 7 miles, half that time I was wondering if I was still going the right way.

qotd: pass.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

slosh

Had a nice 17 mile run this morn.  Lots of wildlife out.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Such a wonderful da here, too, and I' m at work all day. Maybe a run later in the evening.

5 or 7 miles no course markers? Now that would freak me out. Knowing how directionally challenged I am, I get nervous already when I can't see a marker for mor than 2 minutes!

Run for fun.

Daydreamer1

Came home from work totally wiped out.  A very busy, chaotic night.  Unfortunately my partner, who is normally somewhat of a idiot was just horrible last night. Just constantly bitching and moaning and whining. Almost told her to shut up a couple of times. Thank God I don't have to work with her very often.

Have some chores to do around the house then It's off to the mountain for a bunch of hill repeats. Hoping ot get in 12 miles.

QOTD: Inspired by Hardrock. First why is that course so poorly marked?  I would have thought that they wouldn't want people getting off course and needing rescued in that type of terrain as that might affect their ability to get permits. Secondly, are you less likely to do a race on a poorly marked course?  I would be. I don't mind exploring new trails and figuring out where they go, but on race day I don't want that added stress.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I blew off yesterday run but did a little joggy jog with the mutts today for 5.5.  The beginning was slow as the mutts wanted sniff and piss...then the end was slow because Jack was hot and tired.  He picked it up after a dip in the canal.

Qotd:  I would only because I probably wouldn't until I got lost or if I did know I would think those people are just being negative.  

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

some call me Tim

5 miles at home today with a little GI intermission. Gotta lay low and get my revenge on last week's LR route tomorrow morning

I was bummed that it wasn't as easy to follow Hardrock, but have been gobbling up any bits of info I can find... got my fingers crossed for Scott. At least he'll be done soon - he's just gotten more and more skeletal, as those photos AT posted the other day illustrated.

qotd: yeah, it's a deterrent for me. A friend and I have been looking into Manitou's Revenge in the Catskill Mts for next year... I'm not too worried about the dangerous Devil's Path sections, but it has a reputation for being poorly marked and that I'm not so sure about.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

No run, sigh. Had to put away the kids' and DH's stuff from the camping trip instead.

QOTD: I like well marked trails and race courses. If I know ahead that a course is poorly marked, it makes me think twice about signing up for that race, as I have a tendency to zone out and just go from one marker to the next without thinking. That's why I get confused easily if there are no markers for more than a few minutes - I never know whether I zoned out and missed a turn, or whether I'm still on course and it's just a section with less frequent markers.

I've gone lost on race courses a few times, and it was not too much fun.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Qotd: The sparse markings are part of the "charms" of Hardrock. The website says, "The course will be adequately but minimally marked so the emphasis is on staying alert and using the map and course instructions. However, you should be capable of staying on course without markers, using map, compass, and the course instructions." and also "This is not an orienteering event. We intend that you be able to concentrate primarily on running. However, remoteness, weather, animals, and people problems on the course make this problematic at best. We will mark the entire course before the run. However, long road sections and maintained trails may not be marked at all. Cross-country sections will be marked more intensely. We shall continue our trend over the past few years of less intense course marking with fewer flags along all course sections. "

I'd say it was minimally but adequately marked, but I always worried that I was going to miss the one turn marker and then go off track for a long time, there weren't a lot of confidence markers after turns. I would have preferred a bit more markings.  But then again, after my DNF at mile 85 last year, I've seen most of the course.  LOL

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Qotd: The sparse markings are part of the "charms" of Hardrock. The website says, "The course will be adequately but minimally marked so the emphasis is on staying alert and using the map and course instructions. However, you should be capable of staying on course without markers, using map, compass, and the course instructions." and also "This is not an orienteering event. We intend that you be able to concentrate primarily on running. However, remoteness, weather, animals, and people problems on the course make this problematic at best. We will mark the entire course before the run. However, long road sections and maintained trails may not be marked at all. Cross-country sections will be marked more intensely. We shall continue our trend over the past few years of less intense course marking with fewer flags along all course sections. "

I'd say it was minimally but adequately marked, but I always worried that I was going to miss the one turn marker and then go off track for a long time, there weren't a lot of confidence markers after turns. I would have preferred a bit more markings.  But then again, after my DNF at mile 85 last year, I've seen most of the course.  LOL

Did you ever post a RR????

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Sandy-2

No RR yet...  can't rush these things.  LOL. Actually I wrote a lot of it soon after the run, but I just can't seem to find the time to get the last little bit done.