Trailer Trash

Insanity Workouts - helpful for running ultra distances? (Read 38 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I think I remember someone here doing Insanity workouts (XT?). Did they help with running very long distances?

Can an Insanity program actually get you to be able to run ultra marathon distances if so far you've been a 6-10 miles (max) distance runner and run somewhere around 15-20 miles per week, or don't run at all for a few months, only do Insanity workouts?

I'm asking because my big boss at work is trying to get ready to run a 50M in the spring, and he was surprised when I said that I didn't think Insanity would get him there without significant running, too.

Comments, anyone?

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

I cannot answer specifically to insanity, but my son is an avid cross fitter (not sure that is a word). He just ran his first marathon. He was unable to train as much running wise because of his military commitments. He did well and feels that cross fit training was a major contributor to his performance. He did do his long runs, just not as many. Just his opinion, for what it is worth.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

Daydreamer1

Insanity, P90X, Crossfit are all good regimens for total body fitness. They work the body in all planes and are designed to hit all the muscle groups. I know some people who have gotten very fit doing that stuff.

The problem that I see is that it's not specific enough to running to carry you though the long distances. Pounding your legs for a hour in the gym isn't the same as pounding them for 8-12 hours or more while running. Then there is the fueling aspect. Almost anyone can get through a Insanity workout without having to eat anything. Not so with running as we all know.

Now I do think that a runner that incorporates some of these programs into their overall plan will probably improve their running.  There are quite a few runners that come up from Florida to run the Megatransect. I think the Mega is harder then Hyner and has been averaging over 27 miles the last few years. From what I can gather the Florida runners are mostly members of a Crossfit group. From some things that I remember them saying on FB they do long runs, and then do Crossfit to prepare for the hills. Most of them do quite well considering they have no hills to train on.

For your boss to be successful I would think that he needs to get in those long runs in addition to his Insanity workout.

XtremeTaper

Ha Couch, me doing Insanity workouts is just crazy talk, er.. I mean insane talk. I do remember once on a road trip to WS clicking around the channels on the satellite tv during our downtime and Insanity was everywhere. It's Insanity!!! That was the word of the week. Sort of like training for a 50 and not wanting to run. Might as well call that Insanity.

In dog beers, I've only had one.