Trailer Trash

'Tis the season for new trail shoes (Read 57 times)

I've worn Brooks Cascadias for a year, and during my 50 miler (and other previous long races) I've noticed they are too small once my feet get wet and/or swell... numb toes, blisters etc. Well, naturally I go to order a 1/2 size up and lo and behold, Brooks does not make a Women's 11.5 in Cascadias (story of my life). I suppose I could try the size 12,  but I'm open to other brands and options. Thus, I am in the market for a new shoe.

Anything similar you'd recommend?

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

I know nothing about women's trail shoes, so naturally I'll suggest Barbie pink Hoka clown shoes.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So they go up to a size 12 and make all half sizes BUT 11.5?  That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

I wear Montrail Mountain Masochists, which seem to be a well liked shoe by a lot of different people on a lot of different terrain.  They've served me well.  They have a wider toe box than the Cascadias.

Running is dumb.

runtraildc

well, if Jbyram's suggestion of pink Hokas don't work out, I'd suggest looking at Asics Trail 2000s.  I ran in the predecessors (2160 & 2170) for years and I've recently just bought my first cascadias.  I find them very similar and I'm currently rotating between the cascadias 7 and trail 2170s.  If I didn't look at which shoes I put on, I wouldn't be able to tell you which I was wearing  I also buy/bought both 1/2 size up.

Though, the idea of size 11.5 pink Hokas is a good one.... One definitely to think long and hard about.

So they go up to a size 12 and make all half sizes BUT 11.5?  That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard.

I wear Montrail Mountain Masochists, which seem to be a well liked shoe by a lot of different people on a lot of different terrain.  They've served me well.  They have a wider toe box than the Cascadias.

It's crazy to me. They make 11.5 in pretty much all of their other shoes, but I can't find any in the Cascadias. I'm going to email the company just in case...

Thanks for the rec!

jonferg67

Endless trails

I thought FTYC was using Cascadia's in size 11.5, but maybe they were an older version, or

maybe I'm totally wrong.

I know nothing about women's trail shoes, so naturally I'll suggest Barbie pink Hoka clown shoes.

Don't tempt me, I am trying to save for a wedding! Too much $$.

I thought FTYC was using Cascadia's in size 11.5, but maybe they were an older version, or

maybe I'm totally wrong.

Maybe in the past. I just talked to a rep who said they don't carry that size because the "demand isn't there."  Yet they make pretty much every other shoe in that size. 

Occasional Runner

Try the New Balance 1210's. They are a lot like your Cascadias but they are lighter and more pliable. They even come in some real purty colors for the ladies.

Uh oh... now what?

Try the New Balance 1210's. They are a lot like your Cascadias but they are lighter and more pliable. They even come in some real purty colors for the ladies.

<h6> </h6>

What he ^ said.... I sort of bounce back and forth between Brooks and New Balance as they shift designs from model to model.  The half-size increments can be maddening.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

+1 on the 1210s being a good shoe.

You people have issues 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I am wearing the Cascadias in a size 10.5, and I usually get them directly from Brooks (brooksrunning.com ). I might switch to the NB just to try them (as Cascadia 7's won't be available any more), but my choice also considers the $$.

Run for fun.

run4loss

I am not sure how Brooks does their shoes, but Solomon men's and women's are the same except -+1 on sizing.  Michael Arnstein, 'The Fruitarian even mentioned that he buys his shoes that way.  (I think he has some $).  My wife and I go on line and buy whichever shoe is cheaper.   I either buy men 9 women 10, her women 8 men 7.  The advantage is we can get the shoe that is less expensive but the same.  Just marketing.  Your foot being 11.5 means around 10.5 men's so you will have lots of options not less.

Thanks  for the tips.  Funny enough, the NB 1210's also do not come in women's 11.5. Although I have no clue what size I am in New Balance shoes, I've never worn them before.

run4loss - that's not a bad idea. I actually wear men's snowboarding boots because it's extremely difficult to find them above women's size 10.

I think I need to just go try  a bunch on. Only issue is my favorite LRS doesn't carry a ton of trail shoes. I think our local City Sports may, or even EMS or REI.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Thanks  for the tips.  Funny enough, the NB 1210's also do not come in women's 11.5. Although I have no clue what size I am in New Balance shoes, I've never worn them before.

run4loss - that's not a bad idea. I actually wear men's snowboarding boots because it's extremely difficult to find them above women's size 10.

I think I need to just go try  a bunch on. Only issue is my favorite LRS doesn't carry a ton of trail shoes. I think our local City Sports may, or even EMS or REI.

Don't forget this place. They have next day delivery to PA and a great return policy, it may even be worth the hour and half drive.

http://www.holabirdsports.com/