Trailer Trash

Pacific Northwest (Oregon?) help? (Read 43 times)

Uh oh... now what?

I think someone asked about places to go, run, hike, whatever a few days ago.

I meant to respond and now I cannot find it.

Who?  When will you visit?  Based from where?  How much time to go here, there, and yonder?

AT-runner

Tim

Guilty.  I'll be visiting DD #1 in Portland some time in spring or summer and I asked about any "must do" races in the PNW that I should consider while making travel plans.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

White River 50 on July 26!  Also, any of Rainshadow Running's races are gorgeous, but they typically sell out in a day or so, if not hours.  The Beacon Rock 25/50K is scheduled for June 8; while it's in Washington it's just over the border from Oregon.  (http://beaconrock50k.blogspot.com)

ElfRunner25

Wannabe Ultrarunner

I'm interested in this thread too! I live in Portland but haven't been here for too long and am always interested in finding new races and places. Am looking for a spring 50k at the moment. Didn't get in to the Gorge Waterfalls 50k and can't make it all the way up to Bellingham for Chuckanut. (But I will absolutely recommend the trails up around the waterfalls in the Gorge, race or no race--spectacular!!)

There's a Forest Park/Wildwood trail race--I think it's on Memorial Day--but I like to run new trails for races Smile  AT-Runner, that may be of more interest to you (but I know nothing more about it.)

Race schedule: a 50k. Sometime. This year. Maybe a 5k too. Maybe races in between as well. 

Uh oh... now what?

The Oregon Trail Series -- http://oregontrailseries.org/

From the Oregon Trail Series -- links all have maps of the run areas.

Gorge Waterfalls -- Betsy has great comments. There is a publication available (Portland REI?) about the trails of the Gorge.

Peterson Ridge -- Dry side running in the volcanic region. Totally different from anything you would see back east. Up a little bit, but not enough to worry about. Very dry, don't try without water.

McDonald -- Corvallis area, can be muddy, old growth, almost always up and down, (my home trails for seven years).

Mt. Hood PCT -- easy to get info on the PCT -- more scenic off Willamette Pass or Santiam (US 26).

Siskiyou -- Ashland, Oregon/California border--- long long views, no ugly climbs, dry-side running, easy access for and out and back

Crater Lake -- Rim Runs are in August, marathon loops the lake, how often do you get to run in a place like that with no traffic? Just high enough to distract... at a time when I was comfortable with 3:15 marathons, equal feeling effort was a 3:25-3:30 on the rim -- easy drive to, family could chase you around in a car, lots of view points.

There are numerous short trails -- hourish walks -- on the coast, wind-blown twisty trees, hay stack rocks... walks/hikes just as rewarding as running (because you can look around).

The Columbia River bridge on I-405 -- there is a bike path in the median. You can walk/run back and forth over the Columbia River.

Dry side -- anything on the easterly side of the Cascades--open desert is only a two or three hours of driving away.

Silver Falls State Park -- loop trail that goes in front of, sometimes behind waterfalls... hourish south of Portland.

There is a nice paved bike/walk path along the Columbia River, upstream from I-5, goes for several miles, close to the river, separated from noise of highways.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Want details  --- is very hard to pick any one place.

Aha?  Mary's Peak, east of Corvallis...

Wanna come north into Washington?  Mt. St. Helen's is a little over an hour, trails, many ooh and all points...

Gumby66

The forest park race is called trail factor, registration opens jan 5th and is indeed on Memorial day. mostly on the ridge line but they drop you off the ridge a couple times for a screaming downhill and a grind back up. Last year it was pouring rain and super muddy, very Oregon.

Eugene has a nice 20k ridge line race on the Sat before Memorial day. This race and trail factor make a nice combo

Hagg Lake in Feb, very fun if you like running  in the rain with 5 lbs of mud caked to your shoes

Bit of a drive but stunning scenery Smith rock  6/14, 15 mile and 50k on the pricey side but very well organized

I see there is a 50k on Mary's peak June 21, new race I think

There's still room in the Gorge waterfalls 100k

ElfRunner25

Wannabe Ultrarunner

Ohhh, now I want to run Smith Rock... Hmmm. Haven't been there in 15 years.  Thanks John and Gumby for all the ideas!  John, I've been reading your book and stealing trail ideas from there, too, as well as being sad that some of the races/events don't exist any more.

Race schedule: a 50k. Sometime. This year. Maybe a 5k too. Maybe races in between as well. 

Uh oh... now what?

Ohhh, now I want to run Smith Rock... Hmmm. Haven't been there in 15 years.  Thanks John and Gumby for all the ideas!  John, I've been reading your book and stealing trail ideas from there, too, as well as being sad that some of the races/events don't exist any more.

Thank you, glad you are getting some use out of it.  Hope you are enjoying it as a book too.  The extinct runs are fun as we drive here and there in Washington--most of the extinctions were road runs.  We relive them on trips--strange journeys.

ElfRunner25

Wannabe Ultrarunner

Thank you, glad you are getting some use out of it.  Hope you are enjoying it as a book too.  The extinct runs are fun as we drive here and there in Washington--most of the extinctions were road runs.  We relive them on trips--strange journeys.

I am enjoying it immensely. Have been reading it a chapter here and there to make it last longer. I'm from one of those other islands sort of up your way, so much of it reminds me of places I know.