Trailer Trash

Tuesdailies (Read 34 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

2.7 miles last night.  And I don' feel awful today.

Charles - you continue to inspire.  Thank you.

QOTD: hmmmmm

1.) Always stretch before running vs. never stretch before running.  I really don't know the right answer.

2.) Run barefoot

3.) Change your shoes at 300 miles (says the shoes salesman)

4.) Run all hills

Have a great rest of the day!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Nothing and unsure of tonight...in a bit of a funk...which sucks because running is the best thing to get you out of a funk!  Got company arriving tomorrow for the weekend so still trying to get the house together nut really will running an hour actually effect not getting the house cleaned. 

QOTD:  It's bad for your knees.

Sandy:  With my training lately I don't even know if you would want to go running with me!!!

Jamezilla:  Here is some bad advice for the tri...being a runner means you are in good enough shape to wing the swim portion.  That was my training last year and I thought I was going to drown!!!  Yes I did the back stroke in a trialthlon.    I wanted to ask for a noodle.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Jamezilla:  Here is some bad advice for the tri...being a runner means you are in good enough shape to wing the swim portion.  That was my training last year and I thought I was going to drown!!!  Yes I did the back stroke in a trialthlon.    I wanted to ask for a noodle.

Thanks Sue...that's reassuring!  After 2 swims, my impression is that I just need to get some confidence and comfort in the water.  So far my longest swim has been 150 yards (swimming across a 75 yard lake and back).  I'm going to keep working on freestyle crawl, but I have a strong side stroke if needed 

**Ask me about streaking**

Birdwell

Jamezilla, I have lots of swimming advice, But am short on time. I'll post some things in a day or two.

SRD for me.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Jamezilla, I have lots of swimming advice, But am short on time. I'll post some things in a day or two.

^^^  The man knows his swimming.  Birdwell, you really should keep a copy of your swimming advice somewhere.

Anyway, first time doing my 4 minutes of running intervals.  I covered about 3 miles.  Soon I will get to transition to non-stop running!  A few more weeks...

QOTD: It's all been said, really.

Running is dumb.

NorthernHarrier

Jamezilla, so sorry I at times don't pay close enough attention.  Is this your first tri? Ever?  Half ironman is a pretty big undertaking for a first one.  I've done 25-30 of them so certainly can give some bad advice as well as anyone. You sure aren't giving yourself a whole lot of swim time with a 1.2 mile open water swim coming up. Sounds like Birdwell will give good advice coming up but I'll offer a couple pointers anyway:

Practice some stroke mechanics and breathing in a pool. But don't waste a lot of time there. You'll need to practice open water swimming with wind, waves, and glare.

For open water swimming I would breathe on every 3rd stroke so you are alternating turning your head up for air. Helps with the waves, sun glare, and navigating.

Expect tri-jerks to swim right up and over you. Don't be afraid to throw some elbows and some strategic kicks when necessary. 

Practice a relaxed breast stroke. It's my go -to rest mode. And then practice getting out of that stroke back into a crawl.

When going out for long open water swims I will tie an inner tube or other float to my waist and drag it 10' behind me. It's a nice lifeline and it will help being seen by others in fast boats.

The main thing is to be able to swim at least good enough so you obviously don't drown but so you don't come out of the water so spent it affects your performance in the two disciplines that really matter.

Whatever time you lose in the swim can easily be made up with a strong ride. Strong riding is usually 75% of a tri.

The other real important thing to practice--Do some hard bike rides and then a real fast transition into a run of 2-3 miles in training. Gets you ready for the wonderful feeling of trying to run on shredded legs. It will help knowing what to expect and embracing the pain.

Time trial bike coming up $$$

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

NH - Yes it will be my first Tri...I haven't really talked about it too much on here, so you didn't miss anything.   I haven't signed up for the race yet, so I still have the option to bail/drop down to the olympic distance...but I want to shoot for the half.  All of my swim training will be done in a swimming lake...the plan is every weekday.  I took swimming lessons all through elementary school and spent summers swimming in the Delaware through high school.  I feel like the mechanics are there.  I will definitely practice doing some breast stroke...not something I would have known (thanks NH).  My goal for this thing is just to finish.

**Ask me about streaking**