Trailer Trash

Intimidated at the thought of signing up for a trail race (Read 78 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yes, wasn't she the one that was gonna leave her husband because she ran into a snake on the trail and he wouldn't help her, or something like that?

Hahaha. Oh, that thread was pretty classic. I forgot about that. Yes, that was Maura.

Running is dumb.

dpc3

Hahaha. Oh, that thread was pretty classic. I forgot about that. Yes, that was Maura (i.e., MELODRAMATIC) fixed Mandy
      Queen of Nothing

Sue

Hahaha. Oh, that thread was pretty classic. I forgot about that. Yes, that was Maura.

And she recently posted a picture of herself holding up a snake.  The snake was near death but she is getting over her fear.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Ultra Cowboy

WYBMADIITY

Save

Brian Runner

Something interesting I’ve noticed with our local informal club is that the trail runners are far more open to participating. We represent a minority in the 320+ runners that have signed up through our facebook page, but we are the ones who organize the most group runs, attend the most races, and discuss all things running.

We have a few road-only runners who are really serious about the sport in that clichéd way in which most of us trail runners think about road runners, but I think the bigger issue is beginners who are overly self conscious. They worry about their pace and how showing up to one of our runs (be it road or trail) will impact the group. They don’t want to feel like they are holding the rest of us back, no matter how adamantly we try to communicate the fact that our group runs are first and foremost social events. Even when we have a long run planned we’ll throw in a shorter initial loop to make sure that our beginners make it back to their vehicles. “No runner left behind,” is our unofficial motto.

So I think as trail runners we are serious about not being serious. Locally, many of our trail runners train more and race more than our counter parts on the roads, but even our fastest folks who are winning tough trail races are friendly and willing to slow it down to keep the group together.

sugnim

I came in dead last at my first trail race.  But you know what, I had a great time and I've been on the trails ever since.  If you want to sign up, go for it.  No one will look down on you for being slower, but they might eat all of the food at the finish line before you get there!

I'm looking forward to reading your trail race report!

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

+1 on Brian's comment about trail runners very much willing to participate and accommodate other runners' needs.

However, this holds true also for the (road) runners of my local running club. They are great in that respect. But it might be because PA roads are very much like trails? Big grin (A few years ago, PA had taken 4th-last place in a survey of quality of roads in the US). Anyways, our "road" runners are not hesitant to run on gravel roads, or the occasional (lightly technical or non-technical, which is the minority of trails here) trail. They sure are a tough bunch, they do very well even if you throw them out on more difficult trails. Maybe they just ended up on the roads because they got lost out there.

Run for fun.

+1 on Brian's comment about trail runners very much willing to participate and accommodate other runners' needs.

However, this holds true also for the (road) runners of my local running club. They are great in that respect. But it might be because PA roads are very much like trails? Big grin (A few years ago, PA had taken 4th-last place in a survey of quality of roads in the US). Anyways, our "road" runners are not hesitant to run on gravel roads, or the occasional (lightly technical or non-technical, which is the minority of trails here) trail. They sure are a tough bunch, they do very well even if you throw them out on more difficult trails. Maybe they just ended up on the roads because they got lost out there.

I often think this about myself....I started running on trails and towpaths. Then somehow, I got away from all that and became a road runner. It was only when I got back to the trails last Winter that I remembered why I loved running so much to begin with Smile