Trailer Trash

For men only!!! No ladies allowed to look at this! (Read 90 times)

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

(Disclaimer - ok ladies you obviously did not read or just blew through the stop sign.  Just know that if you keep reading, it is at your own risk.  You have been warned.)

Question - running in cold(er) weather has a way making certain appendages cold.  So for the fingers, there are gloves, even wearing two pair if needed.  Toes are covered by socks and shoes and usually stay warm.  But I need suggestions on keep another appendage from getting so cold it feels like it's going to fall off.  Suggestions?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My friend once stole some newspaper out of a garbage bin during the middle of one of his winter runs and stuffed it down his pants.  He wrote a post about it on RWOL a long, long time ago.  I shall re-post it in his honor:  Big grin

Hello Fellow Gentlemen,

It is with a tingling pain that I write to you this morning. Awaking before sunrise, I set out for an easy 10 miles. The sky was clear and the look of frost hung in the sturdy boughs of the massive trees.  I donned my tights.

Now, normally, if it's very cold, I'll wear compression shorts under my tights...below zero, a pair of pants over said tights.  However, I took no note of the temperature before leaving (windchill estimate of about 25 degrees upon my return).

Well, at about mile 4, a ways from home, with no object of comfort in hand, I stuffed a glove down my tights, hoping to alleviate the nether-region frost, thinking I'd rather lose a hand to frostbite than, er....umm....

It didn't help.

Because it was garbage day in the neighborhood I was in...I spotted a newspaper recycling bin. Quickly sifting through for a "clean" section of newsprint...ah, yes, the "Sports" section will be just the fit. Football, basketball, hot stove....

So, dear residents of Westpark, Rocky River, and Fairview Park, I apologize that you had to see me running down your streets with that large piece of newspaper-windblock-cod-piece in my tights.

I'll never forget to protect myself, nor will I offend your eyes with such a ghastly sight again.

Running is dumb.

Birdwell

I've doubled up my shorts a few times. (I have refused to wear tights thus far in my long running career. I may change that this year)

Doubling up works for me down to -5 or so.

You could always run faster, so you get your miles over more quickly Wink

Wandering Wally

My base layer down there is a pair of Under Armor heat gear compression shorts.  Despite the "heat" being in the name, they do a bang up job in the winter too.  Over that I wear my running shorts.  When the temps get down below freezing I break out my tights so then it's UA compression shorts, tights, running shorts.  Below 10-ish and I swap the running shorts out for running pants.  The running pants are a little heavier and provide more insulation.  That set up has worked well for me down to -20F.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Sadly, I'm not so well-endowed to have this be an issue.  Everything retracts and keeps itself warm.

I'll wear shorts only down to 25-30 degrees or so, then long pants over shorts down to 0 or so, after that it's too damn cold for my face and hands anyway.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

SillyC

Brooks makes some windblocker underwear with a, yes, codpiece of wind resistant material.

Yes, I'm a lady.  My husband is a runner.

I've been suggesting he try the kmando.  But he's pretty sure I just want to look and laugh, so he's said no.

Daydreamer1

This is definitely a big issue on the bike. I have several pairs of wind block briefs that work rather nicely for the bike and running. Couldn't find any pictures to post but did stumble onto these from brooks. Someone else also mentioned these but here's a link.

http://www.brooksrunning.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BrooksRunning-Site/default/Product-Select?pid=210329&210329_color=001

jbyram2 - You're right, everything does retract. The problem is when it retracts so far that you have to stand in the hot shower for 20 minutes trying to convince them that it's now Ok to come back out Big grin. The only thing I could think of was "What will they say at the ER if I have to go in" Blush Roll eyes.

Occasional Runner

Sadly, I'm not so well-endowed to have this be an issue.  Everything retracts and keeps itself warm.

That's a ballsy statement.

jonferg67

Endless trails

I use  wicking briefs I get from Eastern Mountain Sports under my tights. I also have a pair

of running-specific briefs with added protection in the front section, for severe wind/cold days.

Kinda like the pair DD1 posted.

Gotta protect the package, jame, that penile frostbite shit hurts just to hear about!

Thermajock.  I've never worn one, but the website is hillarious.  I just wear a pair of compression shorts, and it seems to help.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

LB2

It doesn't get that cold down here (there?)...

LB2

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

You guys (and girls) are hilarious! It figures that Mandy was the first to respond.

I wear a compression type of boxer shorts and a pair of shorts even with temps in the teens and single digits.  I don't like the idea of running tights.  But maybe two pair compression type underwear?!?

Newspaper? Ummm...

Some other good ideas to check out.  Thanks!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jonferg67

Endless trails

Thermajock.  I've never worn one, but the website is hillarious.  I just wear a pair of compression shorts, and it seems to help.

I may just get this for everyday wear, cold or not.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Is this where I get to insert something about how this thread is worthless without pics?

Running is dumb.

mecrowe

Computer Geek

Is this where I get to insert something about how this thread is worthless without pics?

here you are, dear moderator queen:

selfie for Mandy