Trailer Trash

Moonlight Mondailies (Read 31 times)

Marley and I started out running by moonlight for the first mile of our 4 mile trail run until the dawn light overpowered the moon light in the second mile. It was a beautiful chilly morning.

Marley

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

LB2

Very nice, TT.

I actually got out and hiked 2.5 miles yesterday. I started to go run again last night, but I really don't need to push this shin thing so early. The little bit of running I did during the hike was fine, but I could feel some deep, deep soreness in my quads that surprised me a little. I won't push it until I finish these antibiotics on Thursday, just easy stuff until then.

QOTD: What makes a race appeal to you?

In most cases, it needs to be a 100 miles (I like to be out there all night.). It needs to be within a reasonable driving distance, preferably about 6 hours of easy driving. It needs to be in a cool time of year. And, it needs to be no more than 200 to 250 bucks to get into it. I think I have found a race that I will continue to return to from time to time with Pinhoti. It meets all the criteria and then some.

LB2

Occasional Runner

I had an incredible run this morning. 7 miles of road and trail with a lot of vertical gain. I ran it hard, keeping my heart rate  elevated as much as possible and felt great the entire run. I'm very focused on getting as fast and strong as I can before heading to Louisiana for a bit of trail running. I hope to do well.

QOTD: I like to travel to knew places and see knew things. That probably influences my race decisions more than anything.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It was freezing this morning, so I'm waiting until late morning when it's a little warmer to run. It's suppose to get all the way up to 60F by the afternoon.

QOTD: I'm still so new at this that I'm sampling different type of races. I've run 24-hours on a 400m track, races on short loops on paved trails (.9 to 4.1 miles), and a couple trail races (IAT 50K and Labor Pain). I enjoy the short loops because I get to see everyone else running throughout the race. The trail races were fun just to be running in the woods and not on the road. The track race, like the short loops, let me see everyone throughout the race. I'm still working my way up to being able to run one of the western trail races in the Rockies or Sierras. I've yet to run an ultra that I haven't enjoyed, but haven't developed a strong preference yet.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LB2

I'm very focused on getting as fast and strong as I can before heading to Louisiana for a bit of trail running. I hope to do well.

This is good to hear.

LB2

Daydreamer1

Going to try to get out for a 4-8 mile jaunt in a couple of hours.  Still feeling pretty shitty overall with a very sore throat but the weather is too nice to not get out. If I end up not really being able to run much I'll just cut back on the miles and do a lot of walking.

QOTD: This is actually difficult for me to answer.  On one hand it has to be challenging. The first race I entered was a bike race up Mt Washington NH. It appealed to me because it was billed as the toughest hill climb in the country or maybe the world. On top of that several people mocked me when I said I wanted to do it so it became a goal.  My first trail race was also billed as being exceedingly tough which prompted me to sign up for it.  On the other hand I'm starting to look for races that have nicer courses, as in not real rocky and rooty. Something that I can enjoy the scenery on and not really worry about if I can finish or getting hurt.  I also factor in the atmosphere surrounding the event and to a lesser extent the costs associated with it including travel costs.

If I keep doing a lot of trail events I'll look to branch out into other areas of the country just to run a variety.

DigDug2

Not sure if I'm running today - work is crazy right now, although the awesome running weather is tempting.

QOTD:  combination of length, proximity, size, type of trails and organization.  For length, it depends what I'm looking for in that part of the year - I'll do one or two longer races a year and a number of 10K-20K races.  I try to stay within a 2-hour drive, although I'll go beyond that if it's a tempting race for other reasons.  I generally avoid the really large races, although I make exceptions.  I try to stick with races / organizers that have good reputations - there are some local races that are on trails that I love but I won't run them because the organizers don't know what they're doing.  Probably like everyone, the longer the race the pickier I am - you can only do so many long races a year (unless you're Kelly), so you want them to be great.

moonlightrunner

OK...I thought I posted earlier...but it disappeared....so...one more time.

I had two back to back longish runs this weekend, and I think it gave my mojo a much needed boost. I am having a foot pain problem, but I am hoping it is just a transient pain. I am hoping for a late evening run...hopefully with some of that moonlight sans clouds. It will be a shorter run...probably 4-5 miles.

Qotd: I am attracted to races with something unusual...like the DWD 50k I did and the snowy, wintery 50k I entered that takes place on Jan 3. I prefer point to points or single loops. If it has to be multiple loops they have to be long loops. And...under $100.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

XtremeTaper

Long lunch Monday which meant 5 miles on the easy trails of Green Lane with LadyB. Very nice day. Mild and sunny and I wish I could have stayed out on the trails longer. Yesterday we did our standard Appalachian Trail/Hawk Mountain run which was 4.5 hours of trail goodness, with several big 1000 foot climbs and descents, gorgeous scenic views at Pulpit Rock, the Pinnacle, and Hawk Mountain, plus the crazy rock scramble on the Skyline trail. A true mountain run. My running partner and I both agreed it had been too long since we've run this one.

QOTD: Well, it depends. 50-100 mile races I prefer point to point or big loop courses. So the course, location, and time of year are the key factors. Due to the fact that I have horrible night vision I also prefer to run 100's in spring or summer (Apr-Sept) as there is the most daylight then. I will only travel for a 50k if it's near a place where I have family or must go for business. Shorter races all have to be local and have race day sign-up to get me interested.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Watoni

SRD -- biking on the weekend and still giving the ankle/Achilles a break from running.

Still have that kid's bike and stuff from the accident yesterday ... he is doing well but with two broken wrists, concussion, etc. His mom will likely pick it up later in the week.

QOTD: For running I like traveling more for a run/race than I do for cycling -- I do organized cycling trips in Europe, but rarely one-day events. As for running courses, I prefer out and back or point to point. I like events with a decent bit of elevation gain, good scenery and a good vibe. Oh, I like mountain races but running at high elevation tends to kick my A$$

AT-runner

Tim

Wen for a long walk at lunch.  Usually a SRD so didn't have running clothes, but weather was too nice to stay inside and do paperwork.

XT - Might need to make a trip to Hawk Mt.  It's been 3 years since I ran there and It really is a beautiful section.  I think it's on the Skyline Trail where a long sections has the blazes on the boulders and that always reminds me of the Sunset Rocks Trail near Pine Grove Furnace.

QOTD:  I prefer to travel to a new destination and take in the sights.  Recently, we are looking for races where we can see our kids, ofr experience a new area of the country.  The local races that i do are because i have a connection to them.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

XtremeTaper

XT - Might need to make a trip to Hawk Mt.  It's been 3 years since I ran there and It really is a beautiful section.  I think it's on the Skyline Trail where a long sections has the blazes on the boulders and that always reminds me of the Sunset Rocks Trail near Pine Grove Furnace.

Ha, I was the ATRunner yesterday! The loop we do starts at the trailhead by the Hamburg Reservoir. We follow the AT up to Pulpit Rock, the Pinnacle then down the mountain and then up to the next ridge (Kittany Ridge). At the top we take the Skyline trail into Hawk Mountain, down to the visitor's center, then loop back on some forest roads to Hamburg. About 18-20 miles though sometimes we head over to Port Clinton firetower and loop back on the Pinnacle trail. That's more like 23. Either way it's a long day.

THe Skyline trail has about a mile of nonstop boulder hopping on the top of the ridge.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

We took advantage of the record high temps yesterday and went up on the Tahoe Rim Trail to do Relay Peak , some ice in the shady parts where there is heavy trail use , otherwise nice conditions

Tahoe from near Relay Peak

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Wonderful pictures, so beautiful!

URD, I had planned on a run after work, but that was nixed by the fact that I had to stay late, and me trying to do my SIL a favor, which actually took hours, to no success in the end.

Then DS's guitar lesson, and picking up our cat from the vet. She had surgery done and was not really happy after that. Which I can understand, as from the cat's point of view, things had changed for the worse - no pain before surgery, but pretty sure afterward. But to give her some credit, she wasn't happy before, too - when I had lox for breakfast, and she wasn't allowed to have any of it, she gave me "the look". 

QOTD: I like a new challenge any time. Nowadays, I focus on 100-milers (love that running through the night!), although I run other distances as well in local races. I look for races that are harder than what I've done before, and for new features, like real mountain terrain, higher elevation, snow.

Air travel is a real limitation, as I'm on a budget, but if the race promises and epic adventure, I might do it. And even though I'd like to run a long race in snow (I have done shorter ones in snow and ice), I prefer summer races, just because then I won't have to deal with changing clothes, or getting really cold.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Nice photos gang.  I need to bring my phone on a run to snap a few (I got a new iPhone 6 and don't have a case for it yet so I haven't been bringing it with me while running).

I took a SRD on Monday.  Felt good.

As always, it's a day ahead here and I hope to get out after work today (Tues).

qotd: I like wooded trails and usually the more remote the better.  If travel is involve that is good too.  The UTMF is dicking around so it may be off the table for me this spring.  No worries, there is a 100k / 50k road run near here....   yuck.

tbd.