Trailer Trash

White Rim Unsupported FKT Report (Read 45 times)

Occasional Runner

Here's the story of my long run over the weekend. I learned that carrying 100 miles worth of supplies on my back will slow me down. It's important to find the little lessons...

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2014/10/white-rim-trail-unsupported-fkt-alone.html

Watoni

Incredible! You have to be so dialed in (and fit) to pull that off. Congrats!

DigDug2

Great effort and great report, Kelly.  "...power hiked (a term ultra runners use to make "walking" sound more epic)" - classic.

LB2

That is great. I find all cats to be a little creepy. I am surprised that bobcat didn't take off when you got that close.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Great job Kelly and another great read!  I have the Rev 12 (as well as the 1.5)- fantastic pack, I don't think I'll ever need to carry that much water, but you never know Smile  I do load it up pretty well though w/ emergency shelters, extra clothing, etc for mountain runs- carries like a dream.

what headlamp were you using?

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, Kelly.  I was more worried for Jo than you.  She must have been pretty amped up while waiting.

Not much cat experience for me, but the two I have seen at night (both small) ran away pretty quickly.

What bladder size did you use for the changeovers?  I know the 1.5L Osprey bladders have had all kind of leaking issues.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

what headlamp were you using?

Mike

I used the Black Diamond ReVolt. It was dark for about 12 hours and I never had to change batteries. I was pretty damn pleased with it. I've been using that light for a while but I've never had to run that long at night.

Occasional Runner

What bladder size did you use for the changeovers?  I know the 1.5L Osprey bladders have had all kind of leaking issues.

That's the fist time I've ever heard about bladder issues with the Rev packs. I knew there was an issue with an earlier model, but that was before Osprey got into running packs. If anybody used an Osprey pack before the Rev came out, they were running with a MTB pack because that was all they had.

I was first contacted by Osprey while they were redesigning their bladder for runners. They needed somebody that could put 600 miles on a prototype in 6 weeks so they could have the data back for a presentation. That's where our relationship began.

Now...to answer your question...The Rev 12 has a 2.5L bladder and I added two more 1.5L bladders from my Rev 1.5 and my Rev 6.

AT-runner

Tim

That's the fist time I've ever heard about bladder issues with the Rev packs. I knew there was an issue with an earlier model, but that was before Osprey got into running packs. If anybody used an Osprey pack before the Rev came out, they were running with a MTB pack because that was all they had.

I was first contacted by Osprey while they were redesigning their bladder for runners. They needed somebody that could put 600 miles on a prototype in 6 weeks so they could have the data back for a presentation. That's where our relationship began.

Now...to answer your question...The Rev 12 has a 2.5L bladder and I added two more 1.5L bladders from my Rev 1.5 and my Rev 6.

The problem is with the heat seams on some of their REV 1.5L bladders.  Between DW and I, we've replaced 3 so far.  Always the same area where the inside baffel attaches to the bladder.  They even have a quick link up on their web site for replacing a defective bladder.  Talked in detail to a rep and they switched manufactures for the 1.5L.  All the other sizes are fine.

Occasional Runner

The problem is with the heat seams on some of their REV 1.5L bladders.  Between DW and I, we've replaced 3 so far.  Always the same area where the inside baffel attaches to the bladder.  They even have a quick link up on their web site for replacing a defective bladder.  Talked in detail to a rep and they switched manufactures for the 15.L.  All the other sizes are fine.

Interesting. I've got thousands of miles on mine without issue. Maybe it's because all mine are early production...dunno.

AT-runner

Tim

Interesting. I've got thousands of miles on mine without issue. Maybe it's because all mine are early production...dunno.

I think there was a date range when they had issues.   The bladders are all stamped with a date on the bottom.

Great company, they knew they had a problem and didn't pass the buck. I have 5 Osprey products, including my carry-on luggage, and love every on of them.  When you deal with customer service, you are always assigned to one person, and deal with that person from start to finish.

Sandy-2

Epic run.  Congrats on the FKT.

The gear info is also great.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I used the Black Diamond ReVolt. It was dark for about 12 hours and I never had to change batteries. I was pretty damn pleased with it. I've been using that light for a while but I've never had to run that long at night.

sweet, my go to headlamp as well- for running around town I use the rechargeable batteries, when I head to the mountains I replace them w/ lithiums- nice to have that option

first I've heard of the bladder issue- mine (1.5) has been fine (probably 500-ish miles)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √