Trailer Trash

Birthdaily Mondaily (Read 29 times)

Marley and I had a nice 4 mile trail run to celebrate my 63rd birthday.  The knee felt perfect Smile

QOTD: How has your age affected your running?  I didn't start until I was 56, but I still see a change as I age.  I don't seem to need goals to stay motivated anymore.  When I started I needed to be training for something if I was to remain motivated.  These days I just like to get out in the woods and run and need no further motivation.

BTW:  I think I am as fast as I have ever been in my life.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Occasional Runner

6 trail miles with the pup. Saw a guy running naked this morning, which isn't even remotely normal on my trail. He was across the ravine from me, running in my direction. It was just getting light enough to see, so it wasn't obvious right away. He paused behind a bush on his side of the ravine and then headed back the way he came, but now he was suddenly wearing shorts. I'll be wondering about his motives all day. Not judging...just a bit odd.

QOTD: I'm 41 and have been running for 4 years. I wasn't even slightly athletic prior to that, so I'm still seeing a lot of gains. I'm motivated by the potential for a high level of performance. If anything, my age is forcing me to speed up my potential before I lose it entirely.

LB2

Glad you knee feels good, TT.

I'll run 20ish after work today through the woods. I thought about doing it on the road for about 2 seconds. It should be a nice and steamy 92 or so by 4PM. I may call in sick tomorrow.

QOTD: I guess I started running in earnest at around 39. I will be 46 this year. I am faster now than I was at 21 for running 6 miles. I never ran any further than that when I was 21. But, I do need to be training for something to be motivated to run past about 10 miles. Last year, was really pretty nice because I didn't train for anything except some pacing duties at the end of the year, which led into a 50K in February. It wasn't a very good 50K, but I accomplished what I wanted to do. Last year, I just ran however far I felt like on that day, and hardly wrote anything down. I think I am almost to the point where I run enough to not stress too much about a specific training plan. I just use training plans as a rough guide.

LB2

LB2

Saw a guy running naked this morning, which isn't even remotely normal on my trail. He was across the ravine from me, running in my direction. It was just getting light enough to see, so it wasn't obvious right away. He paused behind a bush on his side of the ravine and then headed back the way he came, but now he was suddenly wearing shorts. I'll be wondering about his motives all day. Not judging...just a bit odd.

Probably not a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. Or maybe he was.

LB2

DigDug2

SRD for me.  Good running weekend - 17 miles on the AT (NY/CT border) on Saturday and 7 on the trail with my Sunday group yesterday.

TT:  Happy birthday!

QOTD:  Hard to say - I think it's made me more laid back in terms of times, miles, training pace, etc., but it's also made me more consistent and patient in my training.  I run more, and more consistently, than I did 15 years ago, and I'm probably faster and in better overall shape than I was then.  I definitely notice the aches and stiffness more, but haven't had serious physical breakdowns (knock on wood).

QOTD2:  June mileage?  175 for me - on plan, even with a cutback week.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

strength training this evening, bikemmute to work

qotd: I got a late start as well, didn't starting running until I was 54 (two years ago).  I'm clearly a better runner than when I first started, clearly I'd be a better faster runner if I had started earlier- but I'm just thankful I did start running!  I'll never be fast or competitive, but I'm fine with that- I run for fun Smile

qotd: 144 miles, first full month of running in a while

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

SRD today.  DS and I had a nice weekend fast-packing.  Covered almost 30 miles, which was all the young buck could take.  I think he has a new respect for his old dad.  I may do a separate post about the weekend since I tried out a lot of new gear.

Sandy - So sorry to hear about your dad.  Great you could share your race report with him.

TT - Happy birthday!

QOTD:  50 years old, been running since I was a kid, so yes, much slower.  My last 5k, I ran in 19:43.  That was 7 years ago, and I stopped running 5k's because I wanted to end on a sub-20 note.  I doubt I could break 22 minutes now.  With age, what I've lost in speed, I've gained in endurance, and I'm fine with that.

QOTD #2:  If I count my fast-packing weekend, then 204.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

Occasional Runner

QOTD #2: 312

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Morning Trailers!

Planning on 10 road miles after work.  I haven't run since Manitou's but I'm feeling fresh and ready to get back at it.  Summer has typically been a fall off period for me, but I'm feeling motivated!

TT: Happy 63rd!

QOTD: I'm 30.  Age is my crutch right now.  I don't feel like I've ever been to the start of a race healthy and well trained so there should be a lot of potential for improvement.

QOTD2: Sitting at 89.X...planning on doing the 10.X miles needed to hit 100 for the month.  Most of the miles were at Manitou's.

**Ask me about streaking**

Daydreamer1

SRD. Spending 12 fun filled hours at work.

TT-- Happy Birthday

QOTD 1:  I'm slower.  I've been running as cross training for biking for about 13 years. I've been seriously running for the past 3 years. When I compare times I'm slower now on my short runs then I was 9 years ago when I ran sporadically. After analyzing some of my archived data and going from memory it appears as if my stride length has shortened while stride rate has remained the same. (yea I've I tracked that info on certain hills and sections).  I attribute some of that to becoming more of a forefoot striker and doing these short sections when my legs are tired from a long run. However, I think most if it is from age. I've read that as we age our stride length becomes shorter.

QOTD 2: I added this up last night but forgot the exact number. Somewhere between 125-130 miles. Also did close to 200 miles on the bike.

LB2

QOTD #2: 175 miles. But most of them were very good miles. I was shooting for 200, but I had a few set backs with thunderstorms, etc. I'll push it up over 200 in July, but I doubt I will ever go over about 275 when I peak out in September for November's run.

LB2

moonlightrunner

Happy birthday TT!

No better way than to spend a birthday with your trusty dog on a beautiful trail. It is a gift.

I will do a short run later tonight. I ran 10 yesterday and my knee felt kind of funny. So I will take it easy and short tonight.

Qotd: for me, this is kind of a difficult question. Since I am 120 pounds less than I have been in well over 20 years, running is way easier than it has ever been despite my vintage (56). That being said, age has been a good thing for my running because I really do appreciate every run. I have goals, but if I do t achieve them I still feel good about my runs. When I was young...nothing was ever good enough to enjoy just for itself.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Good Evening, Worked very early until mid-afternoon today and was already tired then. But the kids wanted to go to the pool (and it was a perfect day for that), so to the pool we went. Met several guys from the running club there, and they confirmed that the pool was indeed the better option today. Four hours of relentless splashing later, everybody was hungry, so we had a five-pizza cookout. So there went my evening run. Good thing I ran 3 speedy miles in the park yesterday, so I don't feel so bad about the rest day today. Maybe a few (or extended) sunrise miles tomorrow. Magnana, magnana... TT: happy birthday! QOTD1: I've been running since I was a kid, always essentially on trails, so I can for sure see the effects of different ages on my running. When I was young, I was a bit faster on short (up to 3k) distances, but I never ran farther than 5 miles. In my 20's, I could run up to 12 miles, but was slower than today, and I could not imagine how people can run even just a HM, let alone a full one. However, it was always my dream to run longer, or really long distances, like 60k. I could not imagine myself run 50 or even 100 miles. Now I am faster than almost ever, definitely faster on longer distances, and I run farther than I could have ever imagined. I have never had a problem with motivation, and for more than 25 years, I just ran for fun, always alone, and never ran a race after high school. Now I am a bit less competitive (obsessive) than when I was younger, and I run more.strategic and with a mental plan. I don' let someone else dictate my pace any more, or throw me off my race plan (except for when I intentionally go with the flow). I also have never logged running data, I do that only since 2011, when I started running ultra distances. it helps getting ready for rhose longer distances.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

Another night in Japan (this time Onomichi), another morning 5 miler (it's Tuesday here). Just ran along the water front near some ships and warehouses, nothing too exciting.

Happy birthday TT.

lace, maybe that guy read about the Trailer Trash birthday thread and got a little mixed up... thought it was "birthday suit" run day.

qotd: I seem to be more relaxed about pace in my "advanced 57 years", either that or I'm just slowing down doing too many long runs.

qotd2: 233 miles.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL