Trailer Trash

Winter 100-miler in or near PA? (Read 41 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Wouldn't that make low hanging tree branches more of a menace?

Just make sure you're not first of the pack... 

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

Just make sure you're not first of the pack... 

If we can get Jamezilla out of his post wedding haze, then he'll be way in front of the rest of us mortals.

I can think of a double out and back section starting at Pine Grove Furnace that would be 50 miles (out 13 north,back 13, out 12 south, back 12) that could be done twice.  All sorts of distances would be possible.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I can think of a double out and back section starting at Pine Grove Furnace that would be 50 miles (out 13 north,back 13, out 12 south, back 12) that could be done twice.  All sorts of distances would be possible.

I was just thinking about this last night.  A central location to "set up camp" so to speak would be best and then as many out n backs as one wants.  ATrunner - is Pine Grove Furnace open or accessible during the winter? Is there an area we could set up a make shift "home base"?  Are there any issues getting into that area on the roads there if we have a winter like last year?

Another option possibly is Boiling Springs as a home base.  To the north the trail is "easy" and to the south it gets the typical rocky.

Also - ATrunner (since you are the resident expert in this trail and area) - are there any restrictions that you know about with "organized" activities on the trail? Were you ever involved with the Buzzards Marathon that was a FA event every March for many years?  It was in the Stony Creek Area (used 3 miles of the AT and a bunch of miles on the HST).  It was squashed two years ago due to the organizer not getting a permit.  The DCNR learned of it and was out and about two years ago (the only race I was involved with).  Needless to say, the DCNR has been much more strict about events with 10 or more people on the trail.  I believe this is more so for State Game Land area so maybe the DCNR has no say so over the AT??

And I am going to throw this out now -- my weekend times are limited.  DW works 2 (sometimes 3) Saturdays a month which makes the majority of those days .  So picking the right day and time of year is important.  But since we are talking about it now, maybe we can play around with a few dates.  Were you guys thinking of early winter (of course have to deal with prime hunting season), January, February or March time of year?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

For DCNR, 10 people or more = a group.  Groups need permits. We need one every year for our XC team when we go up for camp.  We had to also show proof of insurance.

The Pine Grove parking lots are open all year round.  I could contact the PATC to see about trail use permit.  Winter usage is pretty light, but there are hikers using the AT all winter long.  Sometimes they just ask for volunteer hours to do some trail work.  The double out and back that I looked at would have place for a car at the start and both turn around areas.

My section is rocky and hilly.  DW ran a lot in the snow last year, and the snow helped with the rocky sections. Up by Boiling Springs, as you mentioned, it's not as aggressive. 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

How many of us would be there (including friends, spouses,...)? And how do we deal with people who just show up unannounced?

I was thinking February or March, but I'm flexible. I need to know a few weeks in advance, though, as I also usually work weekends and have to request time off.

I think Pine Grove is closer for me than Boiling Springs, but as Boiling Springs has more options, it might be the place to go. Where is parking better?

Snow definitely helps with the rocks, but it can be very exhausting to run on snow, too, depending on its texture and depth. One thing we can't foresee, however.

Run for fun.

AT-runner

Tim

When I get back from my cross country drive, I'll check in with the rangers at Pine Grove for some information and input.  If someone wants to check another area, that would be great, too.  DW and I would love to run.  Right now we're doing Stone Mill in November, so we'll be ready for something by February or March.

moonlightrunner

February or March is more likely for me...further after Christmas the better. It is a 12 or so hour drive for me...so weather will make me a maybe anyway. If we round up a date...I would love to plan for it.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

So I played dumb (I mean naive) and emailed the DCNR regarding permits etc.  This was their response:

Jamie:

We speak for the state parks and state forests across the state,

and though the AT crosses through both – along with considerable game lands – best you checked out the

Allegheny Trail website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/contact-us)

All kinds of info and contacts listed there….

Best!

So I am supposed to check out the Allegheny Trail huh?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday