Trailer Trash

Coventry Woods Challenge 6-hour RR (Read 35 times)

XtremeTaper

Hey, ran a little race this weekend and here is quick report. Coventry Woods Challenge, sort of in my backyard (15 minutes away) and a place I run all the time now. I opted the for the 6 hour ultra which meant running as many loops as possible of an approximately 10k hilly trail course. About 750-800 feet of elevation gain per loop which means some nice downhill as well. I consider it a pretty fast course despite the hills that start the loop.

Goal for the day was 5 laps, just go out and run and not bonk too bad. I sort of succeeded but not entirely. Running here so much I knew what was in store and planned a few short walk breaks on real steep parts of the uphills. I think maybe 5 walk points per loop all of 50m or less... well except for the last few laps ha. There was also a 10k and 3 hour race starting at the same time. Weather was pretty awesome for August.. low 70's to start, maybe mid to uppers 80's at the hottest point of the day. Felt hot, but not overly humid and other than a few short meadow sections the trail was in the shaded woods. Ok here we go...

Lap1 - Hold back dammit!! 59:55... I was taking my walk breaks as planned in the steep parts but still passing some 10k'rs on other parts of the climbs. I did hold back on the downhills and felt fresh finishing up the loop. The last 2 miles are pretty much flat to screaming downhill and very fast. I told a 10k racer that I had been dusting on the uphills to let it loose when we hit the ridge line the second time and off he went.

Lap 2 - Race time!! 58:14... This lap just 3 and 6 hour runners left now. A couple guys sneaked by me on the slight downhill halfway up the first climb. When we proceeded back up the hill I will put the hammer just slightly having some fun, passed a few more guys at the top and then  had a couple of runners breathing down my back the rest of the loop. It was a pretty good lap. Felt I should put out some effort here and not be a slacker.

Lap3 - Solo time trial!! 63:26... Where the hell did everybody go? Must have taken longer breaks than me. Other than a guy ahead in an orange shirt that I'd see now and then, I didn't see anyone but the 3 hour winner go cruising by me halfway through the loop. This was closer to the time I expected to run each lap.

Lap4 - Bonk and fall fest!! 69:59... Really struggled here. Climb up to the ridge felt ok but was slow. Orange shirt guy drifted farther ahead and I didn't see him much. May have passed a few people on the climb, lapped them, I don't know. When I hit the faster part of the loop though I was struggling and my right knee must be tracking funny as I had some patellar cringing pain now and then. That made for a bit of survival shuffle and I tripped often and bit the dust 3 times. One a doozy left some good trail rash and swelling just below my left hip.

Lap5 - Sort of back from the dead!! 69:21... This loop started awful. Headed out with the orange shirt guy and we both discussed this is our last lap (time wise, can't make 6) so in a way it's a relief. Why push it? On the big climb he pulls away quickly and I'm stumbling and bumbling up that hill barely faster than a walking pace. I'm relieved to get to the top of the ridge but my time is really slow. I got passed somewhere but lapped a runner or two on the other side going down the hill. Going back up to the ridgeline I hear someone behind me as I'm hiking/jogging/shuffling my way up there. I tell him I'm sort of packing in here in terms of racing and that I'm on my fifth and last lap. He makes the turn at the top of ridge and I tell myself dammit it's all downhill (just like that 10k racer earlier) so I muster up some running and set my sites on the yellow shirt man, the guy that just passed me. I start bridging the gap slightly and then he takes a tumble and I catch up for good. I asked him if he's ok, and then he asks me if I found my second wind or something and I laugh and say "I can't let you kick my ass that easily". So we run down the hill together at a pretty good pace chatting about running and this and that and we both figure we will race a little bit here at the end but we bide our time. We catch the orange shirt guy just at the final turn downhill and we both take off.. the yellow shirt guy gaps me (he is 67 by the way) and I can't catch him but do get past the other guy and I cruise it in pretty hard to the finish. A good way to wrap up the day.

Finish time of 5:20:56, 6th OA, 5th male, 1st AG. Only about 40 finishers in the 6 hour. By some random act of luck finishing 5th male scored me the raffle win for a free pair of Altra shoes so that was a bonus. The dude I was racing at the end said it worked out for me. 2 runners made 6 laps, one finishing with a minute to spare. He got a big round of applause. Fun day on the trails for August.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Cool! You make it sound so easy.  And extra cool to the shoe score! Do you get to pick the type of Altra or do you get stuck with whatever they give you?

This format sounds cool.  I need to try this or Labor pains at some point.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

Nice job, XT.  That's a long lap distance for a 3 or 6 hr event.  Makes it hard to go out if you don't have time to finish a lap.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Nice racing, and congratulations on finishing 5th male and winning your age group!

Thank you for sharing your report. It sounds like a fun race. Any aid station supplies at the start/finish, or just BYO?

I had the same thought as AT, long loops!

Did you get the shoes already?

Run for fun.

XtremeTaper

Jamie - Time really flew in this race other than lap4 and part of lap5. As for shoes, I just go local LRS Chester County Running Store (race sponsor) and pick out a pair.

AT - Yeah, no partial loops so I knew going in 5 would be the max. I had mild delusions of 6 partway in but knew I could not hold that effort for the time duration. The 3 hour runners really had it tough... I could have made 3 laps had I been in that race but just barely.

Couch - I supplied myself with a cooler and just did liquid and gels. They had water and gels available at the aid station but not much food. Some stuff like candy and pretzels but I really hadn't planned to eat at this one so didn't pay attention. Pizza and watermelon at the finish. Pretty low key. It's a real good running course. Some very fast sections (and a few slow ones too!). I just a bought a new pair of shoes but the certificate will get cashed in this fall.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Nice way to bounce back on the last loop. I would have thought the heat and humidity would have slowed you down the last two laps as well. I was hoping to get up early enough to join you in the 3-hour race, but I slept 9 hours, not 7. I must have been more tired than I realized, though my training paces have also been extremely slow in the heat. What's up next for you, Labor Pain?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

muppy

Xtreme, sounds like a great day all around, 5th overall, 1st AG and a pair of shoes, congratulations!

NHLA

Congrats!!  Great race and RR.. Sounds like a nice course.

Watoni

Congrats! You got to end early due to the long loops ;0

Daydreamer1

Sounds like a nice little race. Next year all my normal races fall on my weekends to work so I'm looking for other options. I'll have to keep this one in mind as I've been wanting to do a 6 or 12 hour race.

some call me Tim

Excellent job, and thanks for the report! I especially like hearing about the friendly battles that develop. And although yeah, that's a tough distance for a loop course it still sounds like a dream to me. Most of what's on offer here for timed events is 1-3 mile paved bike paths.

XtremeTaper

WCRunner - Not sure if I'll do any more ultras this year or not. I have a wedding the day before the Labor Pains so that is out. Likely do some shorter trail races the rest of the year. Sorry you missed the 3-hour... 3 loops was pretty tough. Even in the 6 hour I was slightly over 3 hours for 3 laps but could have pushed it had I been in that race.

Muppy/NHLA - Thanks!

Watoni - Ha, yes. Comforting to know in the final lap that end was near and I wouldn't have to climb that hill again!

Blargendarg - I would not enjoy a paved 1-3 mile loop. I actually like the longer loop but this was pushing it... I don't think it was a full 10k but close, maybe 5.8-5.9. Who knows. It's funny I've done a few time events now on the trails, 5 mi trail loop at the LaborPains, 4.8 mi trail loop at Whispering Pines in FL, and now this one. It seems the goal is to be around an hour/loop.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Sounds like you had fun...there was no mention of beers.  As I was reading comments you mentioned a cooler to couch and I thought, now your talking, but then you had gels and waters in it!!  Who are you?     How cool scoring shoes...it makes you a professional.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

XtremeTaper

Queenie - ha, well busted. I left out the beer details. A can of Rebel IPA was in that cooler perfectly chilled for post race refreshment. I know just a single can but it hit the spot and there was more when I got home obviously. Had to be discreet at the park... you know the man and the law always trying to keep down us responsible beer drinkers.

Keep Going

Great recap and congrats on AG! I was there as well did the 6 hour but only managed 4 laps as my legs where still a little beat from Montour. First time I was ever there and what a nice little gem of a place! Seriously though once the 3 hour ended man it was super quiet out there! Really enjoyed the bombing downhill on the back half.

100 milers are my favorite