Trailer Trash

Running a 100-miler "by feel"? (Read 57 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

On all my runs, and in all my races, I never wear a watch or a garmin, and I never ask about time, distance, or pace during a run. I usually have the aid stations or significant hills in races memorized, so that I know how many miles in they are, but otherwise, I just run by feel, by perceived effort, and at a pace where I think I can make it through the run/race.

I occasionally get it wrong and bonk or hit a rough patch, but I usually recover when I slow down, eat, etc.. In races, I am often faster than I thought/perceived (about 5-10% faster than my "best estimate" before the race). On other runs, I can estimate my overall pace quite well (I just check the time when I leave the car, and when I return again).

Up to distances of 53 miles, this strategy has worked well for me in 35+ years of running.

Now that I read more about 100-milers, I find that most runners really monitor their pace and/or heart rate, and go by that, religiously.

Should I change my strategy and learn to run "by pace"? (read: pace myself according to the watch/GPS)

Is it possible to run a 100-miler without monitoring time, pace, or heart rate, and just run "by feel"?

I don't want to make a rookie mistake, and if I'd change, I'd have to start now to get used to it. Comments, please!

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

My normal disclaimer "I have never run a 100 miler so I may not know what I am talking about"

Having said that - I don't see why you need to change what has worked for you.  It sounds like it's too big of a change to implement between now and your race which by the way is 89 days away!!!!!!! You can have a plan in mind that your crew can help you with (without having to wear a watch).

I don't have much of a justification for that other than changing what works for you doesn't usually make sense but others may have some experience and justification for why you should or should not change it up.

BTW, do you still need a pacer?

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

AT-runner

Tim

I don't think you should change.  If it's been working, then go with what feels natural.  I use a watch only to keep myself on pace early on; meaning not going out too fast.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Yes, still looking for a pacer. Are you up to it?

I'm looking for my pacer to get me through the night without getting lost, so running the third loop (50k) with me, perhaps the last small 7-mile loop at the end, too. Some motivation to keep running when I don't want to any more is also appreciated. Maybe whipping me through the aid stations without dawdling around too much.

Run for fun.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Yes, still looking for a pacer. Are you up to it?

I'm looking for my pacer to get me through the night without getting lost, so running the third loop (50k) with me, perhaps the last small 7-mile loop at the end, too. Some motivation to keep running when I don't want to any more is also appreciated. Maybe whipping me through the aid stations without dawdling around too much.

I am up to it.  I was hesitant to ask you about it earlier cuz my feet were giving me so many problems.  While they are still wonky, I am doing better and increasing my mileage again.  I have my sights on Stone Mill in November.  I am just afraid that something may go drastically wrong with my feet between now and OC and would have to pull out (so you may want to have a "plan B"). But as it stands right now, I would love to pace you through the night section (probably the last 50k loop).  I just need to talk to DW and make sure scheduling is not an issue.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

AT: My tendency to go out too fast is rewarded by getting dizzy, so I have learned somewhat to go out more slowly, or stop and rest when I have to.

However, I know that in a 100-miler, you have to be way more careful for a longer distance, than you would for just 50k.

Knowing my pace after the initial 20 miles probably would not change anything for me, as I'm always going the max speed that I think will get me through the race, and (knowing myself) I probably would not slow down if I knew I was "too fast" if I felt ok. Also, if I saw that I was "too slow", but was just not feeling well enough to go faster, I'd probably force myself and try anyway, thus crushing my ability to recover after a rough patch.

I am just not easily motivated by a clock (except for an overall finish time, but not in terms of pacing myself consistently).

Run for fun.

Trail Monster

My plan is not to wear a Garmin at Burning River and just go by feel and terrain. I will wear a watch so I can keep track of cutoffs. Not sure which hundred you are running but BR and OC both have sections where pace is irrelevant, especially if the weather has been wet recently. Water crossings, muddy hills, and rocks/roots all will slow you down but make it feel harder.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I am up to it.  I was hesitant to ask you about it earlier cuz my feet were giving me so many problems.  While they are still wonky, I am doing better and increasing my mileage again.  I have my sights on Stone Mill in November.  I am just afraid that something may go drastically wrong with my feet between now and OC and would have to pull out (so you may want to have a "plan B"). But as it stands right now, I would love to pace you through the night section (probably the last 50k loop).  I just need to talk to DW and make sure scheduling is not an issue.

Yee-haw...that's what I like to see!

**Ask me about streaking**

Sandy-2

I also think you should continue to go by feel of it works for you.  I also tend to go with the flow and see how things are developing.

I do wear a watch and a list of AS with distances, goal times and cutoff times.  But have never looked at them during an actual run.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Watoni

Feel is good. I use a Garmin more for the postmortem analysis of what happened on a run or during a ride, but otherwise I generally keep track of aid station times/cut-offs, not mile splits or times up a climb, etc.

In ultras with lots of elevation gain, Garmins/power meters, etc. train you to hear what your body is saying. Once you know, you don't need them.