Trailer Trash

2015 Race Plans (Read 63 times)

Keep Going

Hi all, my name is Bryan and I'm from Southeastern PA. Love this forum! Here are my plans for 2015 and it looks like I will be doing some of the same races as a few others and hopefully can meet some of you on race day.

Jan 3 - Phunt 50k

Feb 15 - George Washington Birthday Marathon

March 21 - The Hat Run 50k

Aprill 11 - Garden Spot Village Marathon

April 26 - Ironmaster's Challenge 50K

May 17 - Dirty German 50 Miler (will be my first 50)

Aug 15 - Call of The Wilds Marathon

Sept 13 - Via Marathon

Oct 10 - Oil Creek 100

One issue I can't decide on Oil Creek 100k or 100 miler. The 100k cutoff times are so friendly that I know it won't be an issue for me however the 100 miler is such a leap of faith and the cutoff is friendly but not as much as the 100k. I want the hundo bad but there is that side that creeps in telling me to take the safer option. Decisions decisions...I guess it's a good problem to have.

100 milers are my favorite

Occasional Runner

Hi all, my name is Bryan and I'm from Southeastern PA. Love this forum! Here are my plans for 2015 and it looks like I will be doing some of the same races as a few others and hopefully can meet some of you on race day.

Jan 3 - Phunt 50k

Sept 13 - Via Marathon

Oct 10 - Oil Creek 100

One issue I can't decide on Oil Creek 100k or 100 miler. The 100k cutoff times are so friendly that I know it won't be an issue for me however the 100 miler is such a leap of faith and the cutoff is friendly but not as much as the 100k. I want the hundo bad but there is that side that creeps in telling me to take the safer option. Decisions decisions...I guess it's a good problem to have.

Hi, Bryan. It's funny to see your schedule because I've run most of those races. I would encourage you to seriously consider the Oil Creek 100 miler. It's a very manageable race with plenty of time to finish at a leisurely pace. You might run the 100k and end up regretting not doing the 100M.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi, Bryan. It's funny to see your schedule because I've run most of those races. I would encourage you to seriously consider the Oil Creek 100 miler. It's a very manageable race with plenty of time to finish at a leisurely pace. You might run the 100k and end up regretting not doing the 100M.

Or maybe since he's running his first 50 in May, he should run the 100K and wait till 2016 to run his first 100.  I found the 100K distance to be nice and challenging after my first 50.  We're not all superhuman like you, Kelly. 

Welcome, Bryan!

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

Or maybe since he's running his first 50 in May, he should run the 100K and wait till 2016 to run his first 100.  I found the 100K distance to be nice and challenging after my first 50.  We're not all superhuman like you, Kelly. 

Welcome, Bryan!

Out of the mouths of crippled people...

Keep Going

Thanks for the encouragement! Its funny I had no hesitation or fear at all signing up for the 50 miler. I don't know why..Maybe because I know I can do it. And I know the course, which always gives confidence. The other thoughts are strategy for a 100. I have read some blogs and the runner runs the first 50 then prays to God for the next 25 then holds on for dear life the last 25! LOL.. or do you do a slow methodical approach with a run/walk strategy?

Occasional Runner

Thanks for the encouragement! Its funny I had no hesitation or fear at all signing up for the 50 miler. I don't know why..Maybe because I know I can do it. And I know the course, which always gives confidence. The other thoughts are strategy for a 100. I have read some blogs and the runner runs the first 50 then prays to God for the next 25 then holds on for dear life the last 25! LOL.. or do you do a slow methodical approach with a run/walk strategy?

The 50 miler you chose was also my first 50 miler. It's a very friendly course for that distance, but it sounds like you already know that. Strategy will vary from runner to runner depending on their experience, training style and their physical abilities. But in any case, it's wise to tackle your first 100 miler with a significant amount of patience. There's no shame in walking whenever the mood strikes.

Keep Going

Welcome, Bryan!

Thanks so much!

Keep Going

The 50 miler you chose was also my first 50 miler. It's a very friendly course for that distance, but it sounds like you already know that. Strategy will vary from runner to runner depending on their experience, training style and their physical abilities. But in any case, it's wise to tackle your first 100 miler with a significant amount of patience. There's no shame in walking whenever the mood strikes.

I'm fairly inexperienced compared to many on here but I do have know what I can do and what I can't. I'm not speedy at all. My road marathon PR is 4:32 set two weeks ago in Harrisburg and I walked the aid stations and a few hills they have there in the park portion of the course. I ran Philly last weekend with 4:38 somewhat disappointed in my time but I had fun and that's all I really care about in the long run. I did Blues Cruise in 6:22 and finished feeling I could have gone further if I had to so that's a good sign. So I am certainly not afraid of Christopher Walken! 

I haven't done any of the races before on my 2015 schedule so I love getting tips from the folks who have the experience. hint hint...

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I haven't done any of the races before on my 2015 schedule so I love getting tips from the folks who have the experience. hint hint...

Unless they've finally changed it, GWB Marathon is a loop course over rolling hills. It's also small so you may be running alone for much of the race.

GSV Marathon: beware the long hill coming back around miles 21-23. You barely notice it heading out with the HM runners but it just keeps going up at a mild but steady incline for a long time. Then it's a fast downhill and flat to the finish. The logo on the shirt doesn't say "I conquered the hill" because the course is through flat farm land.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Keep Going

Unless they've finally changed it, GWB Marathon is a loop course over rolling hills. It's also small so you may be running alone for much of the race.

GSV Marathon: beware the long hill coming back around miles 21-23. You barely notice it heading out with the HM runners but it just keeps going up at a mild but steady incline for a long time. Then it's a fast downhill and flat to the finish. The logo on the shirt doesn't say "I conquered the hill" because the course is through flat farm land.

Thanks for the insights! I can dig running alone and I prefer small races..the smaller the better. Hills are good..more chances to walk. haha

I need to get 2015 figured out.  I put in for Hardrock (and should get in), but not sure I'll run it.  Thinking of doing Nolan's 14 right about the same time of year and I can't do both.

Thinking of:

March - Land Between the Lakes 50 mile (Kentucky)

April - I may throw my name in the hat for that little Fun Run in Tennessee

May - Quad Rock 50, Ft Collins, CO

June - Nolan's 14 (not a race, but a HUGE "run" in Colorado. 100 miles, 46,000' gain, summits 14 14ers)

July - Hardrock 100 maybe?, unlikely, but at least that's one I should be able to get into, Silverton, CO

July - Never Summer 100k, northern CO

Sept - Bear 100 maybe?

Who knows.  I'm a last minute person and this sport no longer supports last minute decisions very well.  Guess I better get it all figured out soon.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Gerber!  Where is your visit to Wisconsin??    Dude, I got a hug and a beer that's been waiting for you for a long time!

Running is dumb.

Gerber!  Where is your visit to Wisconsin??    Dude, I got a hug and a beer that's been waiting for you for a long time!

Oh hell yes, I will be there for Richard's run, for sure!  (and my beer and hug, of course)

dpc3

I guess since I am now back from injury I need to think about this so here is what I have so far:

April 2015 Cedro Peak, ABQ then turkey hunting with Burke

May 2015 Jemez either the 50k or 50 miler

July/Aug - Still looking

Sept 2015 Local NM race if I can find one

Oct 2015 Javelina Jundred anyone interested in Pacing?

Jan 3 - Phunt 50k

Sept 13 - Via Marathon

Oct 10 - Oil Creek 100

Hi Bryan, I'm also from SE PA. I haven't run any of those races besides Dirty German, but I think that's a good choice for a first 50 Miler. Not too much elevation gain and great aid stations.

ETA: Nevermind, I see you're already over on the PA board!