Trailer Trash

Zumbro 100 DNF race report (Read 52 times)

Messenjah

Question on this. How early was it that you barfed and how long did it take to recover from it and you were able to get back running during the race?

I have been known to barf now and then (Leadville was a PR, 3 barfs in one race).  I always feel 100% better afterward, but I usually down another S-Cap and Gel right afterward in order to "replenish".  I always make sure I have a few Gels on me, just in case.  May need it because I am running low on energy, taking longer between aid stations than planned, I need to "replenish", etc.

Sandy-2

Question on this. How early was it that you barfed and how long did it take to recover from it and you were able to get back running during the race?

Sorry this may get gross...

Funny, although I have kind of an iron gut and can eat some crazy stuff while traveling all over the world, when running I sometimes have a "tender" stomach.  With my high sweat rate, it is always a balancing act between taking in fluids vs stomach issues. Especially when it gets warm.  I can "battle" the stomach issues for a while (I've tried all sorts of stuff; tums, ginger, ginger snaps, not drinking for a while, etc, etc, etc.) and it either goes away or I pull over and barf.  Usually when I barf it feels so much better I rinse out my mouth with whatever is in my handheld and can start running again right away.  I also do a Gel and an S-cap right way to "replenish".

I guess I barf about 25% of the time on 50 to 100 milers. Usually only once per race at anywhere between 25 to 50 miles in.  But as mentioned, up in Leadville I got a PR !!!  Here are the details of the three episodes:

1) somewhere between mile 25 to 30 (mid-afternoon): it was getting warm with direct sun.  Felt better right away, did a gel and kept going.

2) somewhere around mile 60 (early evening): I had taken in a Gel and some Coke at an aid station.  Actually the Coke didn't settle and 1/4 mile down the path I simply barfed it up, it was more of a "rejection" of the Coke.

3) about mile 70 (about 1am): I was kinda bonked when I got to an aid station and then had eaten some fruit and stuff trying to get myself back together.  It was another sort of immediate "rejection" (no Coke this time) of what I had just eaten.  Feeling a lot better I took a gel and some potato wedges and walked outta there.

A little while after the 3rd episode I sort of recovered and ended up finishing Leadville.  By the way I am a flatlander and live at sea level, but I don't think the altitude had anything to do with my "quezyness" because other than shortness of breath I didn't have any headaches or other symptoms.

Well there are all the gory details.  I try to get moving again quickly, but usually I feel better so it is kind of easy.  I will also say that my cases are usually due to running "quezyness", if the stomach issues are due to some other underlying condition (e.g. flu, food poisoning, other upset stomach, etc.), I'm sure that things would be very different.

Good luck.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Messenjah

That's really interesting. I have the same problem with high sweat rate. I will really keep all of the above in mind at my next attempt. I tried everything from PB sandwiches, to potatoes, to chips, to soups and nothing seemed to settle it down. I guess I am glad it came out the upper half than coming out the lower half

Chnaiur

2) somewhere around mile 60 (early evening): I had taken in a Gel and some Coke at an aid station.  Actually the Coke didn't settle and 1/4 mile down the path I simply barfed it up, it was more of a "rejection" of the Coke.

Interesting. I also had some Coke-related nausea during the 50k this Sat. It only lasted 10 minutes or so, but the Coke definitely didn't want to stay where it was.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Sandy-2

Sometimes Coke works to settle things, except when it doesn't.

So far the best thing for me is Ginger Snap cookies. I have also noticed that diluted HEED seems to improve matters.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

SheCan

What a touching report.  You certainly gave it an excellent try.  Sticking around afterwards, and helping and supporting the other runners, was super nice of you.

It amazes me that anybody is able to finish these races.  Only 23 tough finishers in all?

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

I read the whole report.  Tough day out there, sorry it didn't work out.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

Messenjah

Yeah, the huge temp swings and rain did people in. There is a race series that takes place that's four 100 milers and one 100k race this summer in the Mid-West. Zumbro is the first of that series and, I think, there was 20 people that started out on the series and Zumbro knocked that down to 4 already.

Only 23 tough finishers in all?