Trailer Trash

Outdoor Research Helium Hybrid jacket review (Read 32 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

This might be of interest to many here, this is a hybrid wind and rain jacket made by Outdoor Research.  I'm a big fan of windshirts (wind jacket), I use them year round for running, hiking, backpacking, skiing, snowshoeing, whatever.  They cut wind and shed light precip, maintain a lot of warmth, yet they breathe well- all in a light, compressible package.  I also tend carry a hardshell jacket most of the time I'm in the mountains, as mountains tend to have their own weather- regardless of what the weather in town is supposed to be.

So this hybrid caught my attention.  It's a windshirt, but they have added a waterproof Pertex + fabric to the shoulders, upper chest/back and hood.  It's not supposed to be a replacement for a hardshell when you know you're going to be getting heavy precip, but on those many days when the forecast looks mostly favorable- it just could be the ticket.  So I bought one 

The construction of the jacket is top notch (I have many OR pieces and their materials and construction are always good).  It has an adjustable hem at the waist, an adjustable hood and one napoleon pocket (which also allows you to pack the jacket into).  It's light, my size Large weighs 5.7 oz.  The big question is does it work?  I've had it out on several drizzly, light rain days and am very happy with it's performance.  The DWR on the jacket is very good, light precip beads up nicely- as you'd expect the Pertex portions are waterproof.  In a heavy rain, the non Pertex sections would no doubt wet out, but it would still hold in warmth and cut wind.  The jacket breathes well and is easy to vent with the full length zipper and opening up the adjustable hem at the bottom.

I think it could even be better though.  I would like to see them extend the Pertex down the top half of the arms- this would give you more rain protection, but still be plenty breathable and would only add an ounce at most to the weight.

I'm sure there will still be many days when I carry both a wind and hardshell, but there will be a lot more days when I'm just packing this piece 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

AT-runner

Tim

Does it trap the sweat in? That's always my problem, as a very exothermic runner.  Thanks for the review.

How do you always look so darn happy in your selfies. 

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Looks nice.  My complaint is it is a bit pricey.  Looks like very good quality but I would have a hard time paying that much for it.

But here it is at a discounted price (still a bit much for my liking): https://www.backcountryedge.com/outdoor-research-helium-hybrid.html

Check out the review video for it. That is Kelly's buddy Leon!

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

AT- if you seal it up (zipped fully, hem drawn tight) it will keep heat in; it does breathe, but it can't keep up with running without venting (unless it's very, very cold).  Basically you control how much heat you want to stay in, lots it sounds like in your case- generally not so much in mine 

Jamie- I agree, don't pay full retail (I don't think I pay full retail for any of my gear).  40% off isn't too shabby though.

good review by Leon 

https://www.backcountryedge.com/outdoor-research-helium-hybrid.html

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Thanks for the review, it covers the special questions that only runners have. Looks like the jacket is a gem for mountain running.

For better venting, I'd add a two-way zipper.

I have one fleece jacket with a two-way zipper, and I love it. Keeps the jacket in place while allowing plenty of air exchange for the times when you and/or the air have warmed up, while you still want a bit of extra heat on your shoulders and arms, less on the body.

Run for fun.

slosh

You talked me into buying one!  I needed a good running jacket.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

agreed two way zippers are nice; I don't ever recalling seeing them though on any of the really light garments that almost always have really small zippers???

You talked me into buying one!  I needed a good running jacket.

oh crap- the pressure is on now 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

slosh

Jacket was delivered today. Now I haven't tested it out running or in the rain but my first impressions are WOW. Super lightweight and packs down to the size of a large Apple. Fit is snug so only a long sleeve t shirt will fit comfortably underneath for me. Can't wait to test it out!

jonferg67

Endless trails

I was waiting for Leon to show us the section where he stows his beard.

I grabbed one today at the discount price from Jamies link (thanks, Jamie).

MT: Thanks for the being a wear-tester and the review. I had alot of OR gear

when I was in the Coast Guard, outstanding products.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Just a quick update- my long run yesterday wa temps in the mid 40's, and between misting and light rain the entire run (4.5 hours) and happy to the jacket worked great. When it was misting, I took the jacket off, when it was light rain I put it back on (or when the wind picked up on the ridges). Still happy with it 

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Lots more miles with this jacket; it is definitely not as breathable as my Patagonia Houdini windshirt, but in colder weather (especially if there is going to be any wind) I've been grabbing the Helium.  Because it's less breathable (still breathable, simply less so than the Houdini) it's warmer and definitely sheds wind better.  I can still vent sufficiently with the front zipper and by loosening the hem drawstring.

Overall very happy with the jacket and it's going to see a lot more time out on the trails.

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √