Trailer Trash

snow shoers and x-country skiers on the forum? (Read 346 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

good job Santa!

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

DoppleBock

I am really not either - There is @ 1 mile trail by the creek in our neighborhood and a big field 1/2 mile long and 1/4 mile wide.  It is close and easy, so I will do snowshoe running form time to time.  I did a little over and hour last night - Definately and intense workout.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

we just got back from two of skiing in the Absaroka's (and staying at Chico Hot Springs to soak the strain away Smile)

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

chele519

I just found this forum doing a search on snowshoe running and I have to agree about sierra trading post. I have been snowshoeing for years but the ones I have are a little too heavy for running. I just ordered a pair of Redfeather Vapors for $117. They were selling for $179 but had the 35% off plus free shipping. They are also satisfaction guaranteed so if you try some out and they don't work for you, you can return them. I'm in NH and we've had 2 storms recently so I'm looking to do a 5k snowshoe race next weekend, although I'm just out for fun.

if anyone is looking for a good deal on running snowshoes, STP (sierratradingpost) has last year's Atlas Races on their site- they are selling them for $225 25% off of retail, however almost daily they put out 30, 35 and even 40% off coupons (many w/ free shipping); anywho I was able to pick up a pair for $135 w/ free shipping

NH- skiing and snowshoeing together- nice Smile

Amazingly it looks like Montana doesn't have any snowshoe races (had some in years prior) Sad  I think it would be fun to do a 10k or the like on running snowshoes

TrailJade

Cross-country skiing was my first love. I grew up in the northwoods of Wisconsin near the home of the American Birkebeiner (50+k ski race) and great cross-country ski trails, and was strongly influenced by that atmosphere. In fact, I took up running as a teen to improve my skiing and came to enjoy running as much as skiing.

That was a long time ago. I'm in my early 50s now, and still love cross-country skiing and running. I got my DH into XC skiing, too (still working on my DS). We skate-ski, and it's a great upper-body as well as cardio workout. We also snowshoe, but currently don't do it as much as skate-skiing.

NorthernHarrier

Cross-country skiing was my first love. I grew up in the northwoods of Wisconsin near the home of the American Birkebeiner (50+k ski race) and great cross-country ski trails, and was strongly influenced by that atmosphere. In fact, I took up running as a teen to improve my skiing and came to enjoy running as much as skiing.

TrailJade--Another Wisconsinite-kind of anyway.  Whereabouts did you grow up? Hayward, Seeley, Stone Lake, Cable, Clam Lake???

I had my daughter when she was just 5 over there doing the Swiss Miss kids Birkie. Finishing on the course in Downtown with all the people ringing the cowbells. What a thrill for her. As she grew she advanced into the other races and events but those memories of her when she was so young are great. A very silent sports encouraged area.

TrailJade

NH, Yup, I'm definitely a Wisconsinite, although it's been 30 years since I moved to Utah!  I'm from the Cable area.  I still have an aunt and uncle in Cable and a sister in Hayward.  And I'll always be a Packer fan!  We get back to the area for a visit every few years.  I'd love to come back to do the Birkie again sometime.

Watoni

I need to get the fit right but I had fun in a short run in Atlas Races (rented) in Lake Tahoe. Mostly I downhill ski, but I am hoping to do more snowshoeing/running this winter up there.

I enjoy both but unfortunately left town right after the recent big snowfall (Madison, WI) and haven't had a chance to do either yet this season.

I've always found running with snowshoes, even light ones, to be a super-challenging workout. And x-country skiing is great, low-impact cross-training. Planning to get out for some skiing tomorrow, finally...am signed up for a couple of events this year (including the Birkie!) and need to get ready, even though I'm basically doing them "non-competitively."

Harrier, I agree that your backcountry day sounds ideal!

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I took this today while snowshoeing on the Tahoe Rim Trail , the snow was bullet proof in places it's been pretty cold . I almost think you could have walked quite a bit in just shoes or boots

Tahoe

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

very nice! Smile

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

it only got up to 9 today, but we got new snow so figured better take advantage of it Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √