Trailer Trash

anyone use a ankle/wobble board? (Read 46 times)

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

my DW went to a trail running seminar and Mike Foote spoke about the virtues of using a wooble board- strengthening ankles and small accessory muscles, along w/ improving balance

I've never considered one, but now I am

anyone using one?  one better than another?

tia

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Uh oh... now what?

We had one for years (and used it).  It seemed to help with balance and the lower leg

muscle stuff.  I had a round one.  The pivot point was adjustable in height so you

could get more lean (change the lever arm length for more stress).  I would get it

out and use it while watching Jeopardy or something else distracting.  We might

still have it in the garage (if we didn't donate it somewhere before the North Dakota

trip)... nope, is gone.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I used one at PT and recently saw my gym has one.  They are great for strengthening the core muscles without doing heavy weight stuff.  I have been thinking about getting one for home.  The key is to use it consistently not just once every 2 weeks.  The one I used at the PT had a flat side and a rounded side.  Both sides can be used for various stabilizing exercises.  It looks something like this one below.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I do . I am actually sitting on a version as write this . I have the traditional wooden boards and this one that I use as a balance seat or can stand on .  These are pretty cheap,  really hardy and you can use it at your chair , constant adjustments in your back and core or stand on it . They come inflated to sit on but you can add air or take it out .

http://www.amazon.com/Isokinetics-Brand-Exercise-Balance-Cushion/dp/B0024JW96I

runtraildc

DH uses his home-made version.  He says it helps with his kitesurfing---core, ankle and lower leg strength for standing on a board, on rough water, for hours.

Ultra Cowboy

Sounds like a good test to see if you should get a ride home from the party....

As a kid in the 80's we had the POGO BALL Lots of fun, and good balance...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Irish Luck

I used one extensively as part of my PT when I was recovering from my brain surgery 10 years ago. My balance was completely askew after surgery (as in, I staggered when I walked) and constantly had the spins. The one I used was a wooden board with something the size of a half basketball screwed onto the board. I stood on the board side to retrain the "auto correct" part of my balance system.

I'm fully recovered and several years ago, I started to use the Bosu Ball pictured above for my arm workouts. I stand on the round side while I do 3 sets of four different exercises. I find this helps with both balance and ankle strength.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

Irish Luck

PS: I had a pogo ball as a kid and LOVED it!

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

thanks everyone and thanks John for looking for yours!  sounds like it's worth giving it a whirl

our gym has a bosu ball as well, never tried it- it's a lot more spendy then one would think

I was thinking about this one (would prefer not to spend too much) http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/FTW104/

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

I think the balls or cushions will work your feet more than the boards will. I've got an indo board which I used to use a little, but it never really worked my feet as much as a cushion would.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                      jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I'm a cheapskate...I've never done it myself but I have read of using a fluffy pillow and standing one footed on it.  The progression worked up to standing on it one-footed with eyes closed for 1 min.  I bet that's harder than it sounds.

**Ask me about streaking**

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

I'm a cheapskate...I've never done it myself but I have read of using a fluffy pillow and standing one footed on it.  The progression worked up to standing on it one-footed with eyes closed for 1 min.  I bet that's harder than it sounds.

This has been part of my PT exercises too.  At the PT office they have these nice square foam pads that are surprisingly tough to stand on with only one foot.  My PT said just use an old pillow.  Folding it over makes it even tougher.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

Even standing one one leg on a firm, flat floor with eyes closed is harder than it sounds. That was part of my PT, although we had to do single-leg squat balance with reach. Not sure I ever got to eyes closed on that.

I've brought some rocks in to balance on them, although never got very far.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

As part of PT for my achilles I learned to do one leggedy exercises standing on a foam pad or  standing on the squishy side of a Bosu:

do front and back and side kick s with a Theraband around my feet,

do one legged squats reaching as far forward backward and to the side as I can with the other leg,

jugglng a medicine ball hand to hand,

bar bell excercises

I havn;t tried eyes closed, though ..

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Ultra Cowboy

meh, too easy....add a degree of difficulty...

WYBMADIITY

Save