Trailer Trash

Shut it down, or not? (Read 53 times)

Watoni

Without getting into too much detail, I am facing a dilemma as to how to address my Achilles tendonitis.

This came up after a twisted an ankle in November during Javelina and I continued to run for another 50km on the ankle. I finished 100km and then bowed out -- very sore Achilles soon followed.

I believe running with limited ankle mobility caused this to rear its ugly head. I have not had Achilles issues prior, and the MRI was negative that I had in December. Anyway, it is still bothering me and actually I tweaked it stand-up paddle boarding of all things a few weeks ago.

I already bailed on two races this year and have had low mileage, and now am facing the prospect of missing the two replacement races in March/April.

I would love to run: 1. Any distance at Zion in April, 2. Leadville in August and maybe 3. Diagonale des Fous in October. I am tempted to shut it down for 3-4 weeks, cycle only, and run maybe Zion 50km April 10 just for fund and see how it goes (I have a decent aerobic base now). I see so many conflicting ideas about resting (running) for a month versus running through and just icing, strengthening etc. I do not want to jeopardize my season and enjoyment in running, either by pushing it or by just doing no training where a layoff is not going to help anyway.

Ideas, experiences?

LB2

I would shut it down and run the 50K in April. I say "I would shut it down..." Actually, that is the advice I would give, whether I would actually shut it down or not is another story. I think that is definitely what you need to do.

LB2

XtremeTaper

I can't say that I've ever "shut it down" in terms of running for more than 3-4 weeks. Sounds like you need to do something though. Having races on the schedule that you are not able to prepare for is added pressure. Seems to me that you need a few months of healthy running before considering summer and fall races.

I've been in the boat a few times where I had an upcoming race and soft tissue injuries leading up to the event. I just muddled through the remaining training, took extra cutback, extreme taper weeks, went out and completed these races (Boston 2005 comes to mind the most) and then banked a few weeks off afterwards. So maybe that sort of strategy will work for your April race but it does not sound like your training has spot on the last few months. In my example above I had relatively no issues until 6-7 weeks before race day. Maybe you need revaluate your spring season in terms of having a better summer and fall this year.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

some call me Tim

I wouldn't shut it down, but dial it back until you can run without *any* pain... point being that some amount of movement is going to be more beneficial to you than complete rest of the injured area. Of course going cycle only for 3-4 weeks may be the best approach to that depending upon how acute the injury is.

I've been dealing with some achilles issues for the last 4-5 months and fwiw I can give you my story: It came on suddenly during a road run in new shoes that I had been in previously and it was immediately somewhat painful to run. Crepitus was common, but I had no pain when walking or when waking up in the morning. Like you, I assume that limited ankle mobility/calf tightness was the main cause, and I was just coming off a 50k. A month of rest(some cycling) did absolutely nothing for me. Then I started doing high rep eccentric calf exercises, lots of soft tissue work on the calves and ankles and cautious running. The way the achilles loads you will find that running faster puts a lot more stress on it. Anyway, two months later I ran a 50 miler with no achilles issues during or after and I'm currently marathon training. The issue is not completely resolved as  when I do speedwork (5k pace or faster) there's no pain but afterward I get a little crepitus. Good luck(!), and see below for links to the articles I found most helpful.

Oh, and unless you can't take the pain, don't ice it. It's only gonna slow down the healing process.

http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-end-of-the-ice-age/

http://www.mobilitywod.com/2010/09/episode-25-heel-cords-of-a-cheetah-achilles-well-being/

http://strengthrunning.com/2013/03/achilles-tendonitis/

http://www.running-physio.com/tendon-staging/

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage/self-muscle-massage-pt-1-the-calf/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2658946/

Daydreamer1

I tend to have problems with tedonitis even if I haven't injured a joint.  Last August I rolled my right ankle. It was at least a grade 2, maybe approaching a grade 3 sprain. I probably should have stayed off of it for a week but I didn't, hence healing was probably slower then it could have been.  I've been running on it all winter and working some at strengthing it. I still have residual soreness and stiffness in the ankle.  In January I developed soreness in the Achilles that coincided with a increase in mileage.

Several years ago I got my Dr to give me some Voltaren Gel. It works quite well for tendonitis, at least for me.  When I had my flare up I started using it, along with stretching more and I can tell a difference.  For some reason I find that the bike is really not much easier  on my achilles.

I won't offer an opinion on shutting it down, but I would recommend trying the Voltaren Gel. Since it's topical you don't have to worry about long term use and liver problems.

Birdwell

Zion is also offering a 25K distance for the first time this year. It's not as glamorous as the 50K+ distances, but it's still a chance to see some spectacular scenery.

I have no advice to offer and only sympathy to give. I've been shut down for a couple months now with a foot injury that won't quit (I've been seeing the doctor about it for  two months. I'm hopeful I'll get an MRI soon)

I hope things get better.

DigDug2

I am just starting running this week after two months of shutting it down for achilles issues.  I'm not sure of the cause of my tendinitis, but it worsened over the second half of 2014, probably from a combination of increased mileage, increased climbing and some form defects/ muscle weakness.  (I had never had achilles issues before last year.)  I took a few weeks off after running R2R2R in October, started back up again, and the achilles continued to hurt. For me, the pain wasn't bad when running, but pretty much every other time I felt like I was in pain and hobbling around - getting out of bed in the morning, going up and down stairs, etc.

So in December I just decided to shut it down for two months.  I cycled a lot, often at fairly high intensity, and after four weeks started doing the heel drop exercises that seem to be the standard protocol.  I just started running again on Saturday, easing into it slowly (3-4 miles, then hopping to the bike for the rest of the workout) - so far, no achilles pain, and my legs and lungs seem to be in fairly good shape following two months of cycling.

Based on my research and my experience (both somewhat limited), I would shut it down for a month or more - achilles tendinitis doesn't seem like the kind of injury that you can just run through.  Cross-train a lot (which should be feasible since you're a serious cyclist) and your training won't take that big of a hit.

Watoni

Thank you all!

The funny thing is my impression is I could run a hilly 20-25 and not be too sore .... just worried about sabotaging the season.

Really hope to be back running like a kid soon. I still jump a lot when running in the woods but hope to do so soon without any tightness or soreness in the Achilles!