Trailer Trash

National Running Day - Wednesdaily (Read 37 times)

QOTD 1: I love Strava, but just use it for trail runs. I find it to be way more accurate than a Garmin on trail runs. I don't normally look at it too much but it's nice to have an accurate mileage and elevation gain.

QOTD 2: Not particularly, but I do enjoy a nice cold glass of milk or chocolate milk now and then.  After long runs, my recovery drink of choice is an IPA.

Chnaiur

SRD - resting up for an adventure in the Sierras this weekend

QOTD1: never heard of it

QOTD2: Not really. I keep protein drinks and some kind of meal replacement for elderly people who need to maintain weight in my car. I drink that if I have to drive for a while before I get home. But I prefer to eat a meal after running.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Got out for a hard fought 8 last night (although easy pace).  Took a nice spill on the sidewalk in the first mile and I have some roadrash/soreness today, but nothing too bad.  A couple of guys stopped in a pickup to ask if I was alright...which was very nice of them.

Today I'm going to shoot for 4-8 probably after dark.

QOTD1: No, I have looked at it, but I already log on Garmin and on RA and keep a spreadsheet.  If anything I need to simplify.

QOTD2: I don't.  This is an area I have identified as something to work on...makes sense to feed your body what it needs to best recover.  If a little thing like having a post run shake/meal could mean better gains, then why not?

**Ask me about streaking**

Low_O2

QOTD1:  I will add: For general mileage tracking and data, Garmin Connect or the RA log are probably better than Strava(at least in my limited experience). Where Strava comes in handy is for comparing certain climbs or sections of trail against your previous runs and against other people who have run there.

QOTD2: After my long runs which usually are done on the trails that I drive to, I like to drink an Ensure or Muscle Milk type shake to hold me over until I get home to chow down.

Snowdenrun

Hey Trailers

Woke up today and feel as if I am returning from the dead. The cold virus DBF so kindly gave me knocked me out. It was accompanied by something that felt a lot like the flu, only without the puking part. Hoping I can get out for a nice easy run in an hour or so.

QOTD 1: I had to Google STRAVA, so no.

QTOD 2: Only water for me. Recently a piece of fruit has sound good, bot normally I just wait 45 or so minutes and then I'm ready for lunch.

Queen of Nothing

Sue

4.5 easy peasy with Earl this orning.  If he wanted to sniff something I stopped and let him.  I had the run planned out but he insisted on a different trail so I went with it.  It was muggy.

Chaiur: I will be running a segment of the Tahoe Rim Trail on Sunday.  Were are you running?

QOTD1: I downloaded it but have yet to use it.

QOTD2:  If it's the am I have a tall glass of skim milk.  If it's the PM most likely a beer.  Our long runs on Pioneer Trail end up at a store where we get a beer, I have now added a tamale.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

9.5 miles in cool woods, nice run. I got very dizzy on the first 3 miles and had to walk some, I was just about to call it a day and return to the car, when I miraculously recovered, and things went easy from there. The rest was pretty speedy. I could have run another 10 miles, but had to get home so DH could get to his doc's appointment.

Not sure what causes this dizziness, but today, I blamed my glasses. They are progressive bifocals, and they kept sliding down my nose constantly, twisting and distorting the image, causing something like motion sickness. I was about to hurl those darn glasses into the bushes, when I added up all those $$ co-pays and deductibles for new glasses in my mind and decided I'd rather put that money toward a pair of sports glasses instead. Phew! Big grin

QOTD: Watoni comes to my mind as a big Strava fan, but I have never used it myself. I use mapmyrun, which has its limitations, but I have my year-long log there, so it's convenient to just stay with it. I don't care much about recording miles or elevation gain accurately, I just care about the total miles as a general measure, and recording where I ran, the rest (elevation, terrain) I know in my mind anyway.

QOTD2: No, I usually have a banana, or a roll when I come home, then shower and have a meal later. I use a whey protein drink after long races, and it really helps with recovery. Too pricey for everyday running, though.

Run for fun.

Sandy-2

I guess yesterday's run was a "national running day" run. I didn't know it. Today (thurs) is a SRD.

qotd: no.

qotd: usually water or milk.  After a long run I'll eat some yogurt.

tbd.

Irish Luck

Had a mid-week race last evening in honor of both National Running Day and Philly Beer Week.  Was held at a local brewery and all entrants received a beer post-race.  Was not a PR, but I finished 2nd in my AG. Very proud of the mister, as he also got 2nd in his AG, as well as a friend of ours who has recently returned to running.

QOTD: nope. I'm unfamiliar with this STRAVA you speak of--I will google.

QOTD2: Beer. Absolutely.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

Chaiur: I will be running a segment of the Tahoe Rim Trail on Sunday.  Were are you running?

QoN - We are running from Spooner to Kingsbury North and back on Sunday , did part of it last weekend it was really nice . We are doing The Meadows to Tunnel Creek Saturday , we have been told the first mile in the trees still has snow  ( we've wandered around in there in years past until we finally found the trail )

Chnaiur

QoN - We are running from Spooner to Kingsbury North and back on Sunday , did part of it last weekend it was really nice . We are doing The Meadows to Tunnel Creek Saturday , we have been told the first mile in the trees still has snow  ( we've wandered around in there in years past until we finally found the trail )

Very Cool  - glad I went back to check on yesterday's thread!

QoN and Valeire:

I'm planning to go from Echo Lake parking lot, NW to Mosquto pass and Camper Flat, then loop back up on TRT and sleep by Dick's lake. Sunday I will take TRT back to Echo lake.

I would love any company - just PM me if you are interested in joining for a bit. Since I'm camping out I need more space than the east side can provide.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Watoni

Morning all!

4 miles around the hood with the dog last night. Felt pretty good most of the way considering it was only an hour after stuffing my gut with a big bowl of salad, chicken and shrimp pasta and bread sticks. I figure it is good training for eating during an ultra. 6ish on deck for today.

QOTD: Does anybody here use STRAVA to track there miles/progress?

I just started playing around with it a couple days ago. It is kind of fun to use. It ranks you against other runners/cyclists in the area on popular segments. You can also make whatever segment you want so it always compares your runs against previous ones. Not sure if I will continue using it, but it's fun to play around with.

I use Strava every run/bike. I love it generally. It is huge in the Bay Area, and people track their progress on segments (climbs especially) against friends, pros, etc. In cycling is The running aspect is up and coming, but they re-did the running pages so that I am not as happy with them as I once was.

I can also track friends rides/runs who live in different cities and countries, so that is fun as well.