Trailer Trash

Tick removal techniques (Read 56 times)

Ultra Cowboy

This came across Facebook and I was wondering if folks thought it was a credible method:

Tick Removal

A nurse discovered a safe, easy way to remove ticks where
    they automatically withdraw themselves when you follow her
    simple instructions. Read this one as it could save you from
    some major problems.

Spring is here and the ticks will soon be showing their heads.
    Here is a good way to get them off you, your children,
    or your pets. Give it a try.

A School Nurse has written the info below--good enough
    to share--and it really works!

"I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best
    way to remove a tick. This is great because it works in
    those places where it's sometimes difficult to get to with
    tweezers: between toes, in the middle of a head full of
    dark hair, etc."

"Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball. Cover the tick
    with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few
    seconds (15-20); the tick will come out on its own and be
    stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.

This technique has worked every time I've used it
    (and that was frequently), and it's much less traumatic
    for the patient and easier for me.."

Also, if you just pull a tick off, their heads sometimes break off
    and are left under the skin so this is much safer. Be aware

also that a tick with a white speck on its back is a Deer
    Tick, these can cause Tick Fever so check yourself and
    your family good if you see any of these!

"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this
    would be damaging in any way.
    Please pass on. Everyone needs this helpful hint.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Ultra Cowboy

ahhh, never mind.  Snopes disproved it...I should have checked there first.

I think I will carry one of these though

WYBMADIITY

Save

Queen of Nothing

Sue

I'll give it a try...wonder if it works on dogs.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

Just rip them bitches out...says the guy with Lyme Disease.

Uh oh... now what?

Oscar, Harold, Eugene, and I were cutting brush down in the river bottom near Choctaw.

At lunch the conversation turned to tick removal.  Eugene said he had a tick in his pubic

hair and didn't know how to get it out.  It itched like crazy, but he didn't want to scratch

for fear of breaking the body off and leving the head to get infected. He offered to show us.

We declined.  Oscar being the oldest of the four of us was looked to for advice.  He told

us about a four-step process, saying you would need a razor, some lighter fluid, a match,

and an ice pick.

He told Eugene to

1) Shave off half your pubic hair.

2) Pour lighter fluid on the remaining half.

3) Set the lighter fluid on fire.

4) As the ticks run out from the fire stab them with the ice pick.

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Oscar, Harold, Eugene, and I were cutting brush down in the river bottom near Choctaw.

At lunch the conversation turned to tick removal.  Eugene said he had a tick in his pubic

hair and didn't know how to get it out.  It itched like crazy, but he didn't want to scratch

for fear of breaking the body off and leving the head to get infected. He offered to show us.

We declined.  Oscar being the oldest of the four of us was looked to for advice.  He told

us about a four-step process, saying you would need a razor, some lighter fluid, a match,

and an ice pick.

He told Eugene to

Not sure whether to laugh or cry!?!Shocked

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

and an ice pick.

He told Eugene to

Also effective for crabbies Wink

**Ask me about streaking**

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The problem with forcing the tick to remove itself by applying oil, soap, lighter fluid, or burning it, is that it causes the tick to release more liquids from its digestive system as a reaction to the "stress" (after all, you are slowly killing the tick by these methods). And the bacteria and viruses that are mostly feared because they cause illness to humans (e.g. borrelia causing Lyme Disease, or a specific virus causing encephalitis=inflammation of the brain) live just in these digestive fluids within the digestive tract of the tick.

So if you try to force the tick to release on its own by killing it, you are actually increasing your risk of contracting these diseases, whereas if you just pull out the tick quickly, the tick won't release more fluids, and you won't be exposed to more germs than what you already have been.

The medical information given out in central Europe, where many ticks carry borrelia and the viruses causing encephalitis, states that by suffocating or otherwise slowly killing the tick, you increase your risk of contracting those diseases to almost the likelihood of a tick actually carrying that disease (which can be very high in some areas), whereas if you quickly pull out the tick, your risk is much lower.

Your best bet still is to just pull out the tick, using whatever you have available, and work quickly. It does not cause any harm if the "head" or any parts of the mouth are left in the skin, they will just be shed and come out over time, similar to a splinter that cannot be removed.

Run for fun.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Ah yes, a classic sometimes referred to as the "Exorcist Technique"

and an ice pick.

He told Eugene to