Trailer Trash

Beast of Burden 50 m race report (Read 53 times)

muppy

Seems like you ran a smart race in some tough conditions and had a blast doing it, congratulations!

LB2

I am like, Sandy. I would like to know why he was pulled from the race when he said he felt fine. Anyway, sounds like you had a decent day in tough conditions. I like the cold, but that looks a little too cold.

LB2

SillyC

Basically, my friend was pulled for dehydration.  He got better.

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, what a tough race! Those flat courses seem "easier", but the constant pounding, and the mental challenge sure have their own difficulties.

I once had issues with a frozen hose in a 50M, and it was just a hassle, not having access to my own fluids for several hours, except a little sip every now and then. A frozen bladder, even worse. Kudos to you for sticking the cold, frozen bladder underneath the jacket (I would have died instantly from the shock when that frozen thing touched my front side anywhere, even with a layer in between! )

Run for fun.

SillyC

Congratulations, what a tough race! Those flat courses seem "easier", but the constant pounding, and the mental challenge sure have their own difficulties.

I once had issues with a frozen hose in a 50M, and it was just a hassle, not having access to my own fluids for several hours, except a little sip every now and then. A frozen bladder, even worse. Kudos to you for sticking the cold, frozen bladder underneath the jacket (I would have died instantly from the shock when that frozen thing touched my front side anywhere, even with a layer in between! )

Ah - it was probably just the hose and the top of the bladder.  The bladder wasn't frozen through yet.  The bladder wasn't far off, though - and yes, it was AWFUL to stick down the shirt.  Fortunately, I was doing pretty well at keeping myself warm.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Congratulations on mastering the weather!!  you dressed exactly right (compared to the sorry souls who didn't prepare and got hypothermic)

worked out the gloves/gummybears/pocket puzzle on the run, and were pretty darn fast too, despite all the clothing.  Awesome job!

I love reading reports like this because it helps me try to do the same..."here is a strategy that worked"  Thanks for the lessons!!

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

SillyC

Congratulations on mastering the weather!!  you dressed exactly right (compared to the sorry souls who didn't prepare and got hypothermic)

worked out the gloves/gummybears/pocket puzzle on the run, and were pretty darn fast too, despite all the clothing.  Awesome job!

I love reading reports like this because it helps me try to do the same..."here is a strategy that worked"  Thanks for the lessons!!

Awww, thanks!

Good luck at the Febapple Frozen 50k!  I've had my eye on that one for years and would love to do it.  I don't think I'm going to this year, though.