Trailer Trash

Coming back after a layoff, Rules of thumb? (Read 41 times)

Ultra Cowboy

I hit my peak mileage last spring when training with my 100 miler buddies.  My last 4 months have been dismal in terms of mileage and frequency.

So now I'm starting from scratch so to speak.  Figuring on a 13 week program to train for a trail HM in April.

So I'm wondering,

Will my previous fitness from a year ago have any bearing on my return to "race" shape, in terms of mentally comparing myself then and now?

I've never been in this situation where I was "trying to get back to where I was"

Any words of wisdom?

WYBMADIITY

Save

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Forget where you were, run according to where you are.

Run most runs at a conversational pace, even if that means walking.  The running legs will return. Patience is key; too much too soon will hurt you and send you back to the couch.

Go out for a run 5-7 x a week like you used to (to rebuild the habit you have lost), but keep them short. a mile or two each, with a 5 mile long run on the weekend.  No speed work.  Recalibrate depending on how you feel; should be tired with muscle soreness but not joint pain.

Add a mile a day next week. 2's and 3's, with 6-7 on the weekend. Still ok? Go visit your favorite trail to remind yourself why you were running in the first place.

Build slowly according to how you feel.  Don't do much speedwork if you are building mileage base.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

Birdwell

Forget where you were, run according to where you are.

Build slowly according to how you feel.  Don't do much speedwork if you are building mileage base.

Loved everything that was said, especially this.

It sounds like you and I are in the same boat, only my half is March 1st 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Rocky, I've always been able to run about 15-20mpw without much issue, even coming back from nothing.   If I were you, I would start out running every other day for 30-40 minutes and build from there.  Walk if you need to.  I think you'll be surprised by how much fitness you've retained.  Don't over think it too much.

For reference, I basically didn't run this summer (but I did do a lot of cycling.)  Here was my build up:

September: 27 miles

October: 62 miles

November: 111 miles

December: 132 miles

Running is dumb.

LB2

If you had a really deep base of fitness, I think it will come back fairly quickly. However, I would start slowly and build up gradually. I basically took all of 2013 and ran for fun. I didn't write anything down; I didn't have any sort of plan; I never ran more than 10 miles during most of the year. Then, in September, I started building up slowly. It has been progressively more each month. Now, I am back to where I feel comfortable running 50 mile weeks, which makes me very happy.

LB2

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Rocky- we're all pretty unique, but with your solid base, the miles will probably come back pretty quickly.  Use your body to gauge your progress, but if your going to err, err on the side of caution.  An injury is definitely not the way to make any kind of comeback.

Don't neglect rest and recovery, easy to do when your trying to get back into the swing of things.

Mike

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Ultra Cowboy

Thanks for the pep talk.

Mandy that is an impressive ramp up.

I set a PR in this Race last year and I have to remind myself that I'm not at that training intensity this year.

I think I might find a runner in our group to "pace"  as my goal...

WYBMADIITY

Save