Trailer Trash

Are Electrolyte Drinks necessary? (Read 52 times)

RabbitChaser

Are you making your famous cookies with Tailwind IN them?? Big grin

LOL...I'll be making the cookies, but w/o the Tailwind. I need to keep the flavor pure. Smile

Messenjah

@FTYC - That is the most detailed description on this topic I think that I've ever readSmile

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Gels contain very little sodium, most brands at least (there are 1 or 2 brands which contain significant amounts, where 2-3 gels/hour would keep you covered, but I'm not sure which brands these are).

Crank E-gels.  Love those things.

Running is dumb.

moonlightrunner

It is much cooler now and I am cranking up my mileage over the next few weeks with some 14,16 and 18 mile runs. These are distances I have never run before. If I am not sweating a lot (I tend to end up running in only capris and  running bra unless it is below freezing) Do I still need to take in electrolytes? I am experimenting with gels. I was going g to try perpetuem solids...but since they have little potassium I am rethinking that. I prefer to drink water rather than heed or other mixes.

ftyc: that was very useful info you gave...I just am not sure how cold weather running factors in.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

How long will it take you to complete those long run distances?

I usually don't need salt if it's under 4 hours (as a rule of thumb), if it's longer, a little salt can't hurt.

You can try some pretzels, or potatoes (from home), cut into small pieces, and dip them in salt. The potatoes and pretzels are a staple at long distance and ultra aid stations, so if you get used to them, you'll almost always have something to rely on in a race (if running races is in your plan).

Bananas are also great for potassium, and you can take them with you (unless you squeeze them into your backpack - not recommended Big grin).

On distances up to marathon length (in my opinion, assuming most/much of it is runable, if at low pace), you don't necessarily need to eat salt during the run if temperatures are fairly low (say, up to around 60). You can have some salt before, and later with your post-race food, and that will take care of the whole electrolyte thing. So water should be good on the run.

If you feel like you are craving salty snacks, or if the water just rushes through your body, and you have to pee a lot despite sweating a good amount, having some salt is not a bad idea. It is best with foods, or you can add it to your water or drink in small amounts (if I remember correctly, I used about 1/2 teaspoon of table salt, plus 1/4 teaspoon of potassium salt ("Nu Salt" table salt replacement, you get it in the grocery store) in my 70-oz. hydration bladder which was filled with 16 oz. fruit juice, rest water). But less will do as well, maybe try 1/8 teaspoon of table salt (or sea salt, does not matter) in a 22 oz handheld water bottle. You'll have to experiment what you can still drink (and like), and what helps you.

Run for fun.

moonlightrunner

I am a slow runner. When I ran the 13.5 I ran at a 1209 pace until 11.5....Then it decreased to a 1221 pace. I suspect I will be out on my upcoming long runs for 3-5 hours. For my 14 miler I am thinking of eating something small at 4, 7 and 10 miles. I think I'll try taking a bannana and some gels and some perpetuem solids. I know a 14 miler probably does not warrant that much...but I need to find out what works.

Thanks so much! I am hoping that by December I'll have it pretty much figured out. It is good to be able to learn from the experiences of others.

January , 2022 Yankee Springs Winter Challenge 25k