Trailer Trash

Wednesday (Read 39 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Link?

Running is dumb.

jonferg67

Endless trails

Link was one of the guys on the Mod Squad, I thought you were too young to remember that show.

Any other questions.

Link?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Started work very early today and had to stay longer, so I'm now waiting for the late lunch to settle, and the temps to go down (not much hope for the latter, it's 90 now).

When I got out of work, on the way to my car, I saw a car in the parking lot, in full sun, windows just cracked open, with a little black dog in it. I waited for 15 minutes, then tried to have the owner paged, but was not successful. I did not have a phone with me, and no-one else wanted to call police on the dog owner, so I left with a lot of worry. At home, DH did not want to draw any more attention to the incident. I just hope the dog's owner came back quickly and had not forgotten all about the puppy locked up in the car. I feel pretty bad about me not being able to help the dog.

Still hoping for a short run later today.

QOTD: I'm impatient, and either a shoe fits instantly, or it's not for me. I do try on a lot of different pairs before I buy, though.

Run for fun.

Brian Runner

9 miles last night with some folks over at Mt Pisgah State Park. Some hill climb repeats planned for a little later today.

muppy

5 miles, first warm day of the year is 91* and dew point of 61, I'm ready for fall!

QOTD I try on lots of  shoes at the LRS and if they don't feel good I keep looking. That being said, they are great at taking returns on shoes too.

Daydreamer1

Somehow, after working an ultra marathon of hours over the weekend, starting summer classes, working through a mess that the college created with DD classes, fixing the wash line after destroying it while assassinating a ground hog, dropping off DS at the base for his trip to San Antonio which for some reason took me all day because they felt that parents should give the recruits a ride to the airport after processing, and a few other major issues, I finally got in a run. The first since last week some time.

Started out planning on doing about 20 miles but the temp went up into the high 80s at least, so after overheating I called it quits at 13. Still a pretty good run.

QOTD: Interesting Birdwell. I have the same shoes and like them. I decided that they were keepers after a 25k race. I agree that the heel is a little loose but it didn't bother me and It fits well otherwise. Just goes to show that everyone's feet are different and what works for one may not work for another.

But to answer your original question. I'm constantly evaluating the shoe. It may feel nice but if it doesn't wear good I may never buy it again. I have never returned a pair of shoes after leaving the store with them. 

Brian Runner

Had four people come out this evening to do repeats on the power line. Temp was 90 degrees when we started. I did 5 repeats for a little over 2,000ft of vertical in 2 miles.

Occasional Runner

Had four people come out this evening to do repeats on the power line. Temp was 90 degrees when we started. I did 5 repeats for a little over 2,000ft of vertical in 2 miles.

Holy CRAP! 2000 feet in 2 miles?! That means 1 mile UP and 1 mile DOWN! That's serious vertical....2000' per mile. That's chin scraping stuff. If you're running that grade, you've got some serious uphill skills.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

SRD for me today, which was just as well as I put in a long day at work

qotd: I usually can eliminate shoes quickly as there is fitment issues in the toe box, sadly I'm eliminating an awful lot of shoes  the PureGrit 2's fit well and work well- so likely stock up on them; currently looking for a shoe for more rugged conditions and thus far I've eliminated several shoes w/o running a single mile- fingers now crossed for the pair that's on their way

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Sandy-2

After work today I did 8 miles at "tempo" pace and followed by a 2 mile "cool down".  Ok, full disclosure, I basically decided to push a bit on my 10 miler and then got tired and hot at about 8 miles in and decided to take it easy for the last 2.  It was a pretty good run considering it was about 88 deg.  I was sweating like crazy, my shoes were soaked.  No there weren't any puddles, did I mention that it was also pretty humid?

For the first time ever I weighed myself just before/after a run.  Holly crap !!!  In the 1:26 it took me to do the run I lost 5 pounds (basicaly water weight of course) !!!!!  That is even with downing a 20 oz bottle of HEED along the way.

I was going to do the 10 miles before work but there was a lightening storm early this morning.  But maybe I should have taken the risk, at least it would have been cooler, but more humid.

qotd:  you guys know that I have been running in the same brand/design of shoe (roadies no less) for about 5 or 6 years now, so I have no idea how to answer this question.

tbd.

Brian Runner

Holy CRAP! 2000 feet in 2 miles?! That means 1 mile UP and 1 mile DOWN! That's serious vertical....2000' per mile. That's chin scraping stuff. If you're running that grade, you've got some serious uphill skills.

Its pretty nasty. I recorded some crappy video of it a few weeks ago.

Uphill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWbZbsrNbPw

Downhill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylDj9HyNRuE

For those of you familiar with the SOB section of the last climb at Hyner, its mostly like that as far as the grade. Hands on the knees and ground to haul yourself up it. The bottom section up to the first utility pole is slightly more runnable. In training I basically try to maintain a running cadence as long as I can before switching to power hike mode. No way I'd even attempt to run something this steep in a racing situation. But even hiking its heart-busting-out-of-my-chest level stuff. Getting myself ready for the 7,000ft+ of climb at The Green Monster this October.

Isn't Pennsylvania great? What we lack in elevation we make up for in grade.

"Fluffy" as we call the climb, is the little line you can see on the mountain side just below the red text.

Low_O2

Good evening all!

Got in 5.1 miles on the Bosque trails this afternoon and 3.4 miles along the bike path yesterday, feeling pretty sluggish lately but no aches or pains today. It was 85 deg and it felt like I was running in an oven. I'm not ready for the summer temps! Might be time to start putting in some miles in the morning before work.

Brian- I like the looks of "fluffy"! I would like to find something like that around here for some solid climb training.

QOTD: So far I have been pretty lucky with shoes and haven't had to ditch any after running in them for a while. I do a ridiculous amount of research on shoes before I buy a pair and as long as they are comfy when I try them on, they have worked well so far.

Brian Runner

Brian- I like the looks of "fluffy"! I would like to find something like that around here for some solid climb training.

Power lines and pipelines. They always take the shortest route, which around here is typically directly up the mountain side.