Trailer Trash

Cottonmouth 100 Race Report (Read 31 times)

LB2

The getting lost/missing markers sounds very frustrating.. was the course mostly on blazed trails or did it veer off quite often? It sounds like the latter. What was the terrain like overall? I've done a bit of running in FL but mostly near Ocala, Citrus and Hernando counties. Well, finishing a 100 is no small feat so good work on forging ahead regardless. How many 100 mile finishes is that for you now?

The trail was blazed very well. In fact, I would tell my brother, "Let's run through the next three blazes and and walk to the next blaze..." That broke up the monotony a bit. However, we also had some connections via double track roads (jeep road/forest service road) as well as a little bit of blacktop. But the race is mostly single track trail. And the problem that existed there was that they used yellow caution tape that was easy to miss the point where you turned back onto the next trail section. I think that is a pretty good description. The overall terrain is pretty flat; the soil was a mix of red clay and sand. I think the official name of that would be a sandy loam soil. Generally, we were running through a longleaf pine forest. The woods were open with evidence of a pretty good balance of prescribed burns. We also ran along some creeks and rivers that I found to be beautiful. And along those creeks and rivers were some swampy areas.

This was my third 100 mile finish in 4 attempts. I'll keep on running them as long as I can. I just love to be around those events; they are like nothing else.

LB2

muppy

I would be very frustrated getting lost that late also, but you pushed through and finished another hundred miler, congratulations!