Trailer Trash

What else would you take in your pack? (Read 59 times)

ceezy

Thinking about doing a 30/40 mile solo run and know I need more than just my standard bottle and gels.

Don't plan on staying overnight, but I want to take stuff in the event of a situation where I have to stay out longer (and just general safety).

I will give family a detailed itinerary of course.

Plus I know I need to update a lot of my camp/emergency type gear and need to buy some new items...although want to keep as light as possible for running.

What else would you pack? (or not bother packing)

CONTENTS shortlist:

Water- think I'm ok, although I need to carry all of it

Food-think I'm ok, including emergency extra

Additional Clothing- Jacket, underlayer, tights, hats, extra change, emergency blanket

Matches. flint, other fire

Bee sting kit/First Aid/Vasoline/allergy and other meds

Sunscreen/insect repellent

Compass/Map

Bear Spray/other spray

Tape/Knife/Multitool/Rope

Headlamp/Flashlights/batteries

Mirror/Signal indicator

Small tarp- thinking of a makeshift shelter for a few hours or other other protection

Garbage bags/poop bags

Some sort of GPS thing???

Writing all that seems like a bit of overkill for a day run but I know my family will feel better about it...

Appreciate any other items I may be overlooking.  Really not that remote of an area and pretty straightforward route, but also want essential items for future outings.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

What does your route look like?  Loop?  Out and back?  Multiple loops?

Even if you won't be seeing your car for 7-10 hours, I wouldn't take the majority of what you have planned, especially if it's not a remote area.  Water, food, cell phone, jacket, headlamp...that's about all I'd take.

Running is dumb.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I don't have anything to add...you've got everything I would bring.

**Ask me about streaking**

sugnim

I would take toilet paper & chewing gum.  I've never done a 30 mile run before, but I take TP & gum on all of my runs.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I would take toilet paper & chewing gum.  I've never done a 30 mile run before, but I take TP & gum on all of my runs.

Oh, yes, add TP to my list.  I would definitely be taking that!

Running is dumb.

ceezy

What does your route look like?  Loop?  Out and back?  Multiple loops?

Even if you won't be seeing your car for 7-10 hours, I wouldn't take the majority of what you have planned, especially if it's not a remote area.  Water, food, cell phone, jacket, headlamp...that's about all I'd take.

I guess remote is a bit of a relative term here, should probably have clarified that a bit more...it's remote enough where I won't have cell service or very spotty at best (I am going to investigate that further to be sure).  I also know the area well enough and that I will likely pass a few hikers/bikers/possibly runners...but also remote enough where I may be isolated for a while.

Mandy:  My main worry is something like a badly sprained ankle where I will have trouble getting back to my vehicle (out and back route btw) about 20 miles in and have to stay until help arrived or something. It's remote enough where this is a realistic scenario. Thanks.

Jamezilla: Appreciate you checking it out.

ceezy

Yes I should have included tp with my poop bags line Smile  

Appreciate it.

It looks like a fairly reasonable list.

If you aren't interested in going lighter no need to read any further, but you could get by with a lot less in most locations.  I am kind of an obsessive minimalist these days when bike touring, backpacking, and running, so take this with a grain of salt, but my inclination would be to go lighter.

Water- think I'm ok, although I need to carry all of it  -  How dry is it there?  Water is really important.  Some Aquamira or a Sawyer Squeeze (about 3 ounces) may be lighter if there is water to treat.

Food-think I'm ok, including emergency extra  -  OK

Additional Clothing- Jacket, underlayer, tights, hats, extra change, emergency blanket  -  I'd probably skip the "extra change" and just take a the other stuff.  Maybe use the garbage bag listed below instead of the jacket if you wouldn't need the jacket unless you get stuck overnight.

Matches. flint, other fire  -  OK

Bee sting kit/First Aid/Vasoline/allergy and other meds  -  Allergic to bee stings?  If not skip.  What is in a bee sting kit?  An Epi pen? Benedryl?  I would probably take a few Benedryl anyway.

Sunscreen/insect repellent  -  OK

Compass/Map  -  OK

Bear Spray/other spray - Personally I'd skip this one.

Tape/Knife/Multitool/Rope  -  I'd go pretty minimal here.  A few feet duct tape, a razor blade (if you must), and a few yards of heavy cord.

Headlamp/Flashlights/batteries  -  I consider this optional unless the goal is to continue to travel in the dark, in that case take a headlamp.  A 0.2 ounce eGear Pico light on a chain around my neck is all the light I take even on backpacking trips and bike tours.  The 15 hour battery life is enough to last me for at least a few months given that I use it for a few seconds at a time usually.

Mirror/Signal indicator  -  Skip unless you will be somewhere that they might actually be looking for you by aircraft.

Small tarp- thinking of a makeshift shelter for a few hours or other other protection  -  Skip and use garbage bag for shelter?

Garbage bags/poop bags  -  See above on garbage bags.  Poop bags?  Will you be somewhere that burying is unacceptable?

Some sort of GPS thing???  -  I probably wouldn't take a dedicated GPS unless I was using a wrist one any way or was carrying a phone that had one.

Depending on your location and route my advice may be reasonable or extreme.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Snowdenrun

When I go on my long runs I take the minimun first aid kit, water, food, and extra shirt, hat and gloves and TP. All of which fit in my smaller hydration pack. When I know I'm going to be out of cell coverage I also bring along my fire department radio or a marine radio which is lighter. That way if I fall and really hurt myself I have direct contact to the SAR team through the FD or the Coast Guard through the marine radio. Carrying a marine radio while hiking is fairly common around here. Not sure where you live and what your options are but you could take some sort of satellite phone to get in touch with a family member if you really get in a bind.

Ultra Cowboy

Your list seems complete.

Remember Survival supplies are supposed to keep you alive, not necessarily comfortable...

I look for multi use items for my "Oh Shit Gear".

Duct tape around my H20 bottle

Maxipad for trauma blood stopper, or Fire tinder

Bic lighter and matches, votive candle (match holder has compass and mirror and match striker/flint)

Multitool: Leatherman, buck or gerber

Garbage bag takes the place of the Tarp.  (Landscaper black heavy duty)

Wet ones individuals (2per day) in place of TP

Salt/electrolyte pills

Energy food

Change of socks (Potential mittens)

Beanie hat

Water repellent windbreaker

insulating base/midlayer.

Prescription meds for 24 hours

Antihistimine for bee stings or epi pen if allergic

WYBMADIITY

Save

SillyC

The main thing I would add is A FRIEND!   Can you get someone to go with you for all or part of it?  Or is "alone" part of the challenge?

I agree with using the garbage bag for a tarp, and if there's a lot of trees, the mirror is useless.

I would add some iodine tabs for drinking water - that is ALWAYS in my pack because it's so small!  And perhaps a whistle.

ceezy

trailtromper: Thanks... think I'm close to what you are saying in terms of "minimal".   My idea of a first aid kit fits into a ziploc baggie and for the most part I plan on going really light. Thanks for the suggestions.

rocky: Appreciate the advice...as I said I plan on going light as possible but I definitely want to bring some "Oh Shit Gear" Smile

(not sure if I can bring myself to go buy maxipads though lol)

Thanks for all the responses in here....the best thing is that not one of you said I was crazy or it was a stupid idea altogether.    Smile

Two (three?) things you might consider that I don't see:

1. bandana or something that can be used to stopping blood flow, washing grit out of wound (wipes might work for that also), or whatever.

2. ace bandage - sometimes wrapping a bum knee or ankle can help. (but be sure to hike or run evenly on two legs so as not to injure the uninjured leg)

(3) paper and pencil to send a note? This is a bit old fashioned but if you need to get help, there's a passing trail user, and they can get to a trailhead faster than you - works when there's no cell phone coverage. This goes along with carrying a dime in 1st aid kit for making phone call when reach someplace with a pay phone. (yea, I know - there's likely no pay phone and if there is, it's at least a quarter - just using this as a time stamp Wink  .)

When I first did some longer distance stuff, even in a race since I'm waaaay in the back of the pack alone, my list looked a lot like yours, but I've reduced it over the years. That said, sometimes I've wished I had something that I stopped taking as I became more familiar with the trail and more confident in myself - maybe sometimes overconfident?

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                            Chnaiur

In addition to what people have said:

For first-aid, I like to add superglue, duct tape, Vicodin, and wide elastic wrap to a standard kit. After my debacle two weeks ago, I also want to recommend wearing compression socks - I believe they reduced the damage from my sprain by containing the swelling. (Here is the link to that in case you want to think through some scenarios: http://trailsanity.blogspot.com )

I also bring bodyglide and something to make fire with.

For clothing, I love Buffs. They are headbands, hats, scarves, and bandage in one little piece of cloth.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Check if your phone has a flashlight app. In that case, just taking a headlamp with fresh batteries (and skip the spare) could suffice. You'd need the flashlight for short periods of time only, not for running.

Perhaps turn off the phone while everything is ok, and only turn it on when needed, to save battery.

For water, I'd only take one full pack and some tablets for making water from creeks drinkable. Carrying a gallon of water or more can become pretty heavy over time. Can you stash water somewhere along the route before the run?

For additional clothing I'd just take a fleece jacket and rely on the garbage bag for more, skip the tights and underlayer. It might get cold, but you'd survive, unless temperatures in your area drop close to freezing overnight.

When I'm out on very long runs in remote areas, I often leave a copy of a map with my husband at home, and on the copy of the map, I have marked the trails where I plan to run (and then I never, ever deviate from the planned route).

Be confident! 30-40 miles should be a fun run, it's not an expedition.

Run for fun.