Trailer Trash

Thursday (Read 35 times)

Snowdenrun

Good morning all.  I think I found a way to fit running into my schedule with the new baby.  Yesterday I asked my boss if I could come in early on Tuesdays & Thursdays so that I can leave early & hit the trail.  He said that physical, mental, and emotional health are all extremely important and that I can change my schedule to get some running time in.  Hooray!  I work for a great guy.  I'll be on the trail for 5-7 miles this afternoon, and then home to spend the evening with my little one.  Smile

This is awesome! And I am a bit jealous. Enjoy your trail time Smile

Sandy-2

Nice and cool at 5am this morning, I actually wore gloves for the first part of my run (although still wore a short-sleeve shirt).  I did a fairly brisk 5 miler.  Only problem with upping the pace is that I have been starving all morning.

qotd: I don't do any lifing (strength training).

tbd.

Gator eye

10 miles in this morning with a cold rain for the first half which turned into a cold snow. I guess it's that time of the year.

QOTD: I don't do any strength training with weights but I do a lot of push up, lunges, planks and other body weight stuff usually as a warm up.

Daydreamer1

It doesn't look like I'll get any running in today. The way things are going here at work I'll be lucky to get out anywhere near on time, then I'll be too tired.

QOTD: I'm trying to get back into it again. I didn't do anything for the past year and my upper body just fell apart. I'm determined to do better even if I have to sacrifice some running.

NorthernHarrier

Well AT said my first point and Gator touches on my 2nd.

First -if you want to be a better runner--run better. Look hard at your goals, your training program, consult a trainer, mix it up, add more specific drills or specialty training.  And if you feel you can't add any more high impact miles to your training then...

Secondly--Do core work. I firmly believe that will improve your running more than a weight program and I am a big advocate of weight training. Sometimes when I am short on time the core gets skipped but a consistent program will give profound results. I know I need to do better myself.

Now if your goals are just to be overall fit and strong do whatever you enjoy and find balance.  Time is usually the biggest obstacle, at least for me. I enjoy doing too many things, kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

jbyram2

Eat to run, Run to eat

Rest day today.

QOTD.  I do some kind of gym work 2-4 times a week.  Stretches mostly, but some upper body machines are there so I give each of them a go. Then 20 lb dumbells, standing, on my back on the bench, and then face down on the inclined bench to do rows.  Walking lunges with 90 lbs. One leg dips and two leg squats, heel drops for the Achilles. Core on the floor. etc.

Not sure if its helped my running, since I'm still slow as shit.

Stone Mill 50m 11/16/13  12:42

Febapple Frozen 50k 2/22/14  9:20:55

DIrty German 50m 5/18/14 12:06:16

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

I don't really do it to improve my running but to ensure I don't get sand kicked in my face when I go to the beach.

Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Chnaiur

Secondly--Do core work. I firmly believe that will improve your running more than a weight program and I am a big advocate of weight training. Sometimes when I am short on time the core gets skipped but a consistent program will give profound results. I know I need to do better myself.

I agree with this, and one trap I've fallen into was to think that the core begins at the groin and end at the diaphragm. I thought that doing situps, planks, and back extensions would be enough, but I never worked my mid-or upper back. Only after I started doing that, did I feel real improvements in form and posture. It forces you to use all the stabilizing muscles along your entire core.

Here is mtwarden demonstrating them:

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

Here is mtwarden demonstrating them:

nice stache, like the outfit too! Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Chnaiur

nice stache, like the outfit too! Big grin

I need to dress like that for my wife's next birthday. She will be soo impressed :-)

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k