Trailer Trash

Thunder-y Thursday (Read 30 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Stationary biking yesterday and today - sore ribs, trying to avoid running but stay in shape.  I'm new to this - any favorite stationary bike workouts?

No.  I absolutely cannot find anything good about the stationary bike.  I want to throw it across the room after about 20 minutes.

Running is dumb.

Brian Runner

The trick to the bike is that it needs to be in front of a large TV or computer monitor. I can peddle for hours watching movies. What works best is heavy metal concerts. Can find lots of full DVD's on youtube (once I've exhausted the ones I own.). Loud, fast music will keep you motivated. Interesting documentaries etc.. will distract you... especially if they are about running.

Daydreamer1

Approximately 16 miles on my favorite training course today. Felt pretty good overall but was slow. I can't believe how fast I lose fitness when I'm not running on a regular basis. Lots of wildlife out. I think I saw more deer then all of last year. And I came back with a new "friend". I picked a tick off of my leg.

DD2 -  When I was training to ride up Mt Washington I would start with a 10 minute warm up, then go all out for 20 minutes at 95-100% of max HR. Recovery would be backing down to 85% of max HR for five minutes and then another 20 minute session. I would put in between 80-90 minute sessions. My family would not come in the room unless they had to because they were afraid they would see me fall off the bike and die Smile .

QOTD: I haven't done enough long races to actually consider a real taper. Normally I just take it easy for several days before a race then run or bike lightly the day before to get the muscles used to working. This fall I have a trail marathon and a 100k scheduled a week apart. Probably not what would be considered tapering.

Brian Runner

Normally I just take it easy for several days before a race then run or bike lightly the day before to get the muscles used to working.

Sounds like a taper to me!

Daydreamer1

Sounds like a taper to me!

I've read some people's taper plans that are so in depth it's like reading a business plan for a fortune 500 company. Some of these plans called for starting the taper as far out as 6 weeks!!! They even included detailed dietary plans. Oh, I guess I should mention that these were triathletes.