Trailer Trash

Slacking Sundailies (Read 43 times)

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

The group run today was very nice, great socializing, and chit-chatting along the way. The miles just flew by.

Fun thing was, the trails were really easy compared to what I usually do, flat and non-technical. The lead guy started out by apologizing for the uphill start - I had not even realized there was a hill. Big grin

After a while, I told about my night run, and everyone in the group was deeply impressed, which was kind of flattering. Until they started telling me how dangerous it is to run all alone out there in deep winter (which is absolutely correct, no doubt!). If you get injured, you can get hypothermic pretty quick - I know that, dread it, but do my night runs solo anyway. It's just so hard to get someone else out on the trails (especially these technical, steep PA trails) in the middle of the night!

After the run, DH dragged me to some open houses around town - we found our dream home, it's just a bit out of our budget... Clown

Now it's baking (garlic knots, yummy!) and kids entertainment.

Run for fun.

Snowdenrun

Just got back from a good 10.5 miles. Mostly sidewalk miles, but still good miles non the less. I just two new pairs of shoes (!!!!) and today I tried out the Brooks Pure Drift. So far I like them. Ten miles and my bunions only rubbed a bit.

Spring is definitely coming. On my run I slowed down to watch 10+ bald eagles, adults and juveniles that looked to be playing. My guess is the adults were teaching the young-ens how to fight with other birds in the air, as the massive Raven's always try to steal food. Pretty cool!

NorthernHarrier

Nice to see that spring is coming for some anyway, not here though. Just got back from my shack and up there I have about 22 inches of snow on the ground with another 4-7 forecast for tomorrow.  On a normal spring I would have the maples tapped on about March 15th and right now there is not a 40 degree day in the 10 day forecast. So while frustrated a little--what can you do ?

Anyway got a couple runs in on packed snow and ice roads including a 12 miler today. Sunny and 19F. And now I'm just getting somewhat ready to head to the Florida keys on Friday. If spring won't come here, I'll go find it! Smile

Couch-- It's still a buyers market. Try to find out how long that house has been listed and throw out a low-ball offer. Never know.

QOTD-- After tracking a wounded bear thru the Canadien bush at night by flashlight in my youth not too much concerns me in the dark anymore. We have an exploding wolf population in the north so running at night in some areas up there simulates prey but there are ways to deal with that....Wink

E/A-- funny, there are some urban areas though that you won't see me venture into in the dark.

Uh oh... now what?

Snowdenrun: Are you saying this year's kids (bald eagles) are already off the nest?

We have three nests that have the adults on them, but it will be two or three weeks

before we expect to see a head sticking up for the first time.

Today's totally wasted effort of going back to the park while the mountain bike people

are practicing for the race next weekend. One runner versus a gazillion bikers. Run,

pause to listen, look up, look up, look up. just go to another park... no, gave up after

an hour or so.

QOTD:  Reflections on a night run on winter solstice from somewhere else:

"At the creek crossing, we can see several sets of footprints: deer, elk, raccoon, and

a largish one we pause over. In our woods there are two things you should recognize:

poisonoak and...

Cougar? I think so. You want me to pretend I can tell how long ago it passed through

here? Maybe feel the print for warmth or something? It is about the same size as my

hand. It is on top of one of the deer hoof prints.

We start up the trail away from the creek, reciting all the things we know about cougars,

mountain lions, panthers, catamounts, pumas, and woolly mammoths (just in case).

We can hear our heartbeats above our footsteps as we move. You always remember the

wrong thing. I point out that they are predators, that predators are stealthy; therefore, we

won’t hear one if it is stalking us. Oops, that didn’t help."
          ----------
          On a night run with Melissa and Linda, I jumped way higher than I thought I could when,

while we paused for a nibble and a drink, Melissa's dawg thought my sweaty leg was a

salt block and gave it a big lick.

It's all good.

Watoni

Did about 20 on the Lake Sonoma training run yesterday (good run, but not necessarily encouraging).

Went into work at 4am today, left at 9am to go cycling, did 37 miles and 4200 feet in about 2:20, then went back to work.

Funny thing is that before my Garmin died on the Lake Sonoma run I did over 4200 feet in 17 miles in 2:45 of actual running time (got a bit lost).

Running is more efficient!!!

Running is more efficient!!!

Passed a mt. biker today.  And yes...we were both moving.

never give up elevation until you have to

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

John, that doggie lick made me laugh! Watoni: +1 on the efficiency of running. Running is also easier. I usually leave mountain bikers behind on uphills. A few days ago, before the sky dumped that latest load of snow onto us, I was running up a mountain trail. While all the ice had melted away at lower altitudes, making it an easy run, there were still some ice patches higher up, which eventually merged together to form an almost continuous layer, with some rocks sticking out. Still ok to run without traction aids, if you were careful. A mountain biker was coming down the trail, almost in tears: "I did not know there was still that much ice up here!" I knew how the guy must have been feeling, and I really was glad running was so much easier there. On the other hand, I always envy the bikers when they glide down the (gravel or paved) roads, while I slowly chop downwards (especially in the heat)!

Run for fun.

Ultra Cowboy

Did my Sunday in the Monday daily...

Watoni, you were in the company of a number of my occasional running partners.  Lori, Kelly, and Karen...Tough women...

QOTD since it is a good one.

I do a number of runs on familiar trails at night.  Worst I've encountered is a Skunk who paced us for 1/4 mile of single track.  He kept a 50 yard lead and finally took the left fork when we went right...

I'm still waiting to run into a bear in the wilderness hiking in after an all evening drive to the trailhead...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Watoni

Did my Sunday in the Monday daily...

Watoni, you were in the company of a number of my occasional running partners.  Lori, Kelly, and Karen...Tough women...

QOTD since it is a good one.

I do a number of runs on familiar trails at night.  Worst I've encountered is a Skunk who paced us for 1/4 mile of single track.  He kept a 50 yard lead and finally took the left fork when we went right...

I'm still waiting to run into a bear in the wilderness hiking in after an all evening drive to the trailhead...

It was a tough run ... with all the work and illness I was happy to make it as far as i did. Quite a ways to go to finish Lake Sonoma 50, though. Strava data in the link below.

http://app.strava.com/activities/44694560