Trailer Trash

torrential rains/tornadoes? Thursdaily (Read 45 times)

runtraildc

Morning trailers!

I'm in northern Ohio and the weather forecast is not so great for the middle of the country.  We'll see if it affects my planned run in one of the nearby parks later.  I got in 7 miles at a Lake Erie nat'l refuge yesterday afternoon.  Saw 3 bald eagles (2 of them nesting) and thousands of migrating ducks.  It was perfect running weather and fun to explore a new area.

FTYC-- good luck on Hyner!  Who else is running?

qotd- pass

Birdwell

Morning folks! I got in 19 soggy miles late last night.

i was very disappointed in my Smartwool socks after the run. I nearly wore through a pretty new pair in a single wet run. The inside near the forefoot is down to threads. I had maybe 100 miles on these sock before last nights run. I was considering trying some dry max stuff,  now I'm definitely  ordering a few pairs.

Good luck at Hyner everyone!

Lace, good luck at Zion tomorrow.

QOTD: what gear are you willing to spend money on, and what gear do you just go cheap?

I refuse to spend more than $0.99 on a pair of gloves. I use the black cotton ones you get at Home Depot in a three pack, for two bucks or so.

Im willing to spend money when it comes to socks ($15+ a pair, not really a big deal, so long as they work)

DigDug2

6.5 on road/rail trail this a.m.  Beautiful, cool running weather in CT.

QOTD:  I'm cheap-ish about all of my running gear; I have a couple of brands/fabrics I like for shoes and clothes and stock up when they're on good sales.  I don't buy much other gear.

Good luck to all of the racers this weekend!

TrailProf

Le professeur de trail

Morning! I got in an hour of light workouts at the gym early including 20 minutes on the steps

I am in for Ze Hyner.  We'll see how it goes.  Not sure I will ever go into this race/event feeling like I am ready.  That's just how it is.

birdwell - i love drymax.  They last a while (amthough I don't track mileage on them).  They drain/dry well.

QOTD: I am cheap as well.  On shoes, I won't buy the latest model but will look for the last model or an older one and buy it cheaper.  I still want to try Hokas but I will probably have to pay full price or close to it.  I did just pay more than I normally do for a pair of Drymax socks.  But socks seem to be very important so once I find what I like, I will splurge.  Otherwise, I shop for the best deals.  But I am also not a gear hog so I don't have much anyway.

Have a great day everyone! Stay dry/safe if you are in the midwest.

My favorite day of the week is RUNday

NorthernHarrier

Yes, it is raining here too. All day. I'll try to get out for some form of speed today if it at least lightens up a little. Was up at the cabin and shut off from the world so I missed the horror of Monday. My wife called me and at least clued me in. I've read what a lot of you have written and I can't really add anything. I feel for all those affected.

Got a couple nice runs in including some hill work, boiled a lot of sap, and watched some nature. On Monday I heard some commotion down from where I was boiling on the shoreline and it was two otters involved in, er, ah, well let's just say it is spring and love was in the air. This went on for a good chunk of the day. At one point it was quiet so I crept down to the lake and there they were napping on the ice next to some open water. It looked like one of them was smoking a cigarette. Smile Ahh yes, nature at work.

traildc-- it sounds like you get to do some traveling in your life.

Birdwell-- I'm not a huge fan of smartwool for running myself. As hiking and hunting socks I think they work well enough.

QOTD-I'm with Birdwell on the gloves. I was gifted a nice pair of running gloves but I never wear them. I much prefer the cotton cheapies. Otherwise I am kind of a gearaholic. High quality, expensive, and multiples of about everything. I need counseling.

muppy

Good morning!

Got in 6 this morning, felt good as I didn't run in 3 days ( I do landscaping on my days off from regular job and put in a few 12 hour days)

QOTD I like to get most of my  clothes at Ross or TJ max type stores, shoes I buy from LRS (get running club discount).

Occasional Runner

Heading out for a course preview with some buddies. No running today.

QOTD: I don't skimp on anything. I probably should though.

I hope everyone has a great day!

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

^ very cool sighting, years ago I got to watch (from a long distance through a spotting scope!) two grizzlies "frolicking" Big grin

my snowshoe run yesterday went better's than Mondays- 19 minute miles to 13.5 minute miles, combination of already packing down some of the trail and the snow settling, I was actually able to run decent stretches

mile repeats this evening

qotd: sadly I don't cheap out on much, I do however rarely pay retail- I'll scour the internet looking for deals, coupons, etc

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Uh oh... now what?

Morning trailers!

I'm in northern Ohio and the weather forecast is not so great for the middle of the country. ...

New York, NY to Toledo, Ohio -- approximately 560 miles

New York, NY to Seattle, Washington -- approximately 3000 miles

Why do people east of the Mississippi not realize there is a second half of the U.S. west of the Big Muddy? Joking

Back to your regularly scheduled interruptions... as we head out to run in a place, still in the U.S., but even farther west.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Ended up sleeping instead of running yesterday...12 hours, a recent PR for sure.

I'm expecting to get my REI replacement Garmin in the mail today...I'm sure I'll test it out.

QOTD: I only wear race give-away shirts...other than that I don't really skimp on gear.  I did notice that the Marshalls has running shorts for $12...I may pick some up.  Socks...I'm not sure who recommended Darn Tough socks around November of last year, but I'm sold and all my family members who got Darn Tough socks for Xmas are also.  Lifetime Guarantee, made in the USA...love 'em.

**Ask me about streaking**

The pooch and I had a nice steep 6 mile hike in the fog and drizzle.  I carried a pack to start getting ready for my summer JMT trip.

QOTD: I try to buy nice stuff but on sale when possible.  Lots of my running clothes are from Ross, the Nike Outlet, or somewhere else on closeout.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

Ultra Cowboy

Tonight is a scheduled night trail run.  Days are getting longer though and less time in the dark even starting at 7:00 pm.  I'll be looking for bucks in velvet again.  Usually focusing on the trail too much to see them though.  When on Horseback I can look and SEE more.

QOTD...I don't buy much running gear, but when I do, I buy quality.   Socks are the highest priority.  My running shirts are usually from races and training groups.  Cotton gloves as mentioned earlier reduces heartbreak if lost on the trail or sacrificed in a bear attack.

WYBMADIITY

Save

Torrential rains?  I've got a 24-hour run coming up on Saturday and all that torrential rain is going to be over us on Sat morn. ...  Trying to imagine what it will be like running a 24 hour race, which will be tough in the first place, then add the fact it will be raining and the 3.75 mile trail loop with 200 other runners on it will be one heck of a mess.   A 24-hour MUD run... Oh boy...  JokingSmile  -- Anyone ever done a 24 hour, or ultra trail run + when it was incredibly muddy?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

jonferg67

Endless trails

Afternoon all,

I got in a nice 5 miler this morning, love those morning runs.

Lace: Stay on top of the hydration tomorrow, good luck kicking ass!

Well, looks like I'm a strong contender for a job in Nyack, NY. I'm going down

on Monday for a face-to-face interview, it's looking real good though.

Guess what the first thing was I looked for? You guessed it, kids, we will

be within a stones through of several major trail running spots. Hook Mt. about

a mile away, Harriman SP, Bear Mt. SP, not to mention being close to lots

of races in upstate NY and PA! I'm stoked!! The job is pretty good too.

I was about to recommend Dry Max Trail Runner socks to Birdwell, but now I

want to try those Darn Tough socks. Thanks for the tip, Jamezilla. 

QOTD: I'm not cheap, I'm frugal. I spend the most on shoes, everything else I do

on the cheap. I have a pair of Nike shorts that I've had for over 10 years, they are faded 

and the liner is almost gone, but they still cover my junk.

I lived near Bear Mountain for my entire life (until age 17) and never got the chance to take advantage of all the fun trails over there. Roll eyes Now when I go home to visit, I try to check out different trails. I posted a little while ago about the South Mountain County Park Trail in Mount Ivy/ Pomona, I think it's about 4 miles end to end and has some fun hills. Well marked and great views of the Palisades.

http://www.nynjtc.org/park/south-mountain-county-park

Well, looks like I'm a strong contender for a job in Nyack, NY. I'm going down

on Monday for a face-to-face interview, it's looking real good though.

Guess what the first thing was I looked for? You guessed it, kids, we will

be within a stones through of several major trail running spots. Hook Mt. about

a mile away, Harriman SP, Bear Mt. SP, not to mention being close to lots

of races in upstate NY and PA! I'm stoked!! The job is pretty good too.