Trailer Trash

Zion 100 RR and Pics (Read 65 times)

Occasional Runner

After a year of stewing over my DNF, I came back and got it done. Thanks for taking the time to read my RR.

http://www.slippingslowlyintopain.blogspot.com/2013/04/zion-100-day-of-redemption.html

Birdwell

Congratulations on the redemption!

I know after last year, Matt (the RD), decided to change the course to make it a little more friendly (?). Outside of flying monkey at mile 85, how did the "easy" course compare to last year?

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

Congratulations, Kelly, another 100-miler well done! Glad you could get back and finish that business out there, despite the bonus miles and the loop miscalculation.

I love the cowbells adventure! Similar thing happened to me at the Hyner: I could hear the noise from the aid station and was so happy to - finally! - get there, when I realized it was just a few runners way behind me down the hill who had been making the noise. Duh!

Run for fun.

Watoni

Awesome job! I cannot imagine the mental toughness it takes to keep going when you go off course during a 100-miler.

You also finished strong and ahead of quite a few fast, accomplished ultra runners, even with the bonus miles, so I think that says a lot

Queen of Nothing

Sue

Thanks for the story...I just don't know how you guys run that far.  Nice job, I also have a race I need to go finish.

05/13/23 Traverse City Trail Festival 25K

08/19/23  Marquette 50   dns 🙄

Occasional Runner

Congratulations on the redemption!

I know after last year, Matt (the RD), decided to change the course to make it a little more friendly (?). Outside of flying monkey at mile 85, how did the "easy" course compare to last year?

The course was changed because Gooseberry was too hard to navigate at night, so it was moved to the beginning of the race. The race has more elevation gain now, so it's not easier. I think Flying Monkey is dangerous at night, but nobody fell off the mesa and died, so that's a good thing. The best change was to move it up by a month so we had better temps during the day. Overall, I think Matt did an amazing job.

ceezy

Wow, amazing as always.   Very inspring...congrats!

Notice you have back been in the Launches...

How have those NB 1210s been treating you, now that you've had them awhile?

Occasional Runner

Wow, amazing as always.   Very inspring...congrats!

Notice you have back been in the Launches...

How have those NB 1210s been treating you, now that you've had them awhile?

Thanks for checking it out.

Very observant about the shoes. I brought 3 pairs of shoes to Zion without committing to any of them. Ever since the American River 50 miler, I've had a really tender achilles tendon on my right side. I attribute it to the fast pace on flat ground and I was wearing the Launch in that race. I decided to wear the Launch at Zion because they're a proven asset for me. I didn't want to go into a key race with a nagging injury and make it worse by wearing a shoe that I've only put about 400 miles on. I went with what I know works. This race was too important to introduce any uncontrollable variables.

ceezy

Makes sense...thanks for the response.

mtwarden

running under the BigSky

congrats on conquering Zion!  I still am very awed by folks running 100 miles, probably always will be Smile

I remember hearing cow bells near the end of my first race and thought what the hell were cows grazing up here for Big grin

2023 goal 2023 miles  √

2022 goal- 2022 miles √

2021 goal- 2021 miles √

Low_O2

Congrats on another great race! Glad you were able to conquer Zion this year! Very impressive how you were able to remain focused on the goal of finishing even after the detour. I always enjoy your RRs, you do a great job putting them together so they tell the story well!

Occasional Runner

Congrats on another great race! Glad you were able to conquer Zion this year! Very impressive how you were able to remain focused on the goal of finishing even after the detour. I always enjoy your RRs, you do a great job putting them together so they tell the story well!

Man...that means a lot to me, thanks. I try really hard to get them out quickly, despite being tired and feeling like crap. I'm rarely happy with them, but once they're published, it's a done deal and I have to live with it. It's really nice to know that people read them and enjoy it. Thanks again.

Awesome stuff lace. Congrats on the pay back. Off to a great start this year.

muppy

Awesome race lace, way to redeem yourself, and I too enjoy your your race reports, thanks!

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Gotta have more cow bell!  Congrats on being vindicated.  As always I enjoyed the race report.  I'm curious...do you write the report while you run, make mental notes, or just go by recollection?

**Ask me about streaking**