Trailer Trash

Crossfit Fittest Woman on Earth (Read 66 times)

Messenjah

So I watched this video and wonder if anyone else has ever noticed something with a lot of "Crossfitters". Have you ever noticed  A LOT of the folks are covered in the rock tape? I know that rocktape is a sponsor but I know a few crossfit people and they are constantly posting pictures on FB of themselves training or at events and they have this tape everywhere. Not to say that runners don't use devices like this or knee straps, calf sleeves, orthotics, etc to help with injuries but is Crossfit not as "healthy" as people think?

Irish Luck

I have started to notice that more professional or high-level athletes are wearing tape like this. I think it became most evident at the Olympics when Misty May Trainer and Kerri Walsh Jennings sported KT Tape.  I have quite a few friends that do CF, and I have never seen them wear the tape.  That said, there's no shortage of compression socks, lifting gloves and gymnast grips among the crossfitters I know.  The mister has used KT tape for runs until he found that a dual Cho-Pat brace worked better to stabilize his patellar tendon.

BT survivor since 2003. Trail runner since 2009.

I think brain surgery stimulated my running nerve and made me into a trail runner. I'm grateful for both.

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I looked at KT tape after a bad ankle sprain last month . In the end I went into my tack box and used Vet Wrap  which I have used on my horses for the same type of injury . It has better colors too .

Trail Monster

I think a lot of them use it to stabilize joints rather than injuries. But when you're jerking 80% of your 1 rep max from floor to overhead as fast as you can repeatedly its bound to result in an injury eventually. I love CF for the most part but I disagree with any heavy lifts being done for time. It's just stupid.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Deltarose

We had a new Crossfit gym open in our town about a year ago....a small group of friends got waaaayyyy into the whole Crossfit culture....in this year, two friends have had to have surgery for CF related injuries, one now has chronic carpal tunnel syndrome and may need surgery. Another has low back issues....

No thanks, I get enough injuries from running Wink

Oh and on the tape.....it is sex-ay....I thought that was the point of it?

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Speaking as an Earth woman, I try to be more fit than cross.

Brian Runner

Regardless of whatever the fitness merits of Crossfit might be, its primary function is as a branded profit earning machine. P90X, Zumbu, mud runs.... They're all about trade marking exercise to sell gym memberships, DVD's, fitness equipment, stuff with a logo on it. As a trend, sheep get hooked, bite off more than they can chew too soon and get hurt just like runners do if we try to pile on too many miles before we're ready. And then there is always a company or two there ready to sell a “miracle cure” product to keep us training and racing.

Messenjah

Speaking of P90X, I have met sooooooo many people that try it for 2 weeks or so and end up having crazy problems with their knees, back and neck. Have any of you used it as a cross training type of program? If so, have you had similar experiences?

Daydreamer1

I decided to start using some plyometrics earlier this year to try to improve my balance and aggravated my ankle injury. That wasn't a full crossfit or P90X routine by any means, just some of the basic moves. I think most of what causes injuries is that out of shape people try to work out like the leaders in the videos do.

FWIW, I've talked to many people who go out for a couple of runs to get in shape and either hurt themselves or can't put up with the soreness. One guy started running several times and ended up injured everytime. His overriding concern when he started running was how much of a "kick" he had after running 4 miles. Always hurt himself at the end of the run while sprinting. Simply a result of doing too much too fast.