Trailer Trash

How much time off after 100 miler or 24 hour event? (Read 37 times)

Messenjah

I am doing my 24 hour event in a little over a month and am hoping to hit 100+ miles but trying to figure out my vacation time from work. The event starts at 8:00am on Saturday and obviously runs to 8:00am on Sunday. I've never done an event of 24 hours and trying to figure out how much time I should take off from work to just get caught back up on sleep and a little bit of recovery.

I work in an office environment so I sit all day but I can't fall asleep at my desk Big grin

How much time off do you use after an event like this?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I took the Monday off after my 100K so I could sleep in and limp around in peace.  I drank a beer at 3pm while sitting outside in the sunshine.  Ahhhh, that was a good day.

Running is dumb.

Occasional Runner

I've never taken any time off from work after a 100 miler. I've been a little tired, but never had any issues with it.

Messenjah

You're also running a hell of a lot faster than I do Big grin

I've never taken any time off from work after a 100 miler. I've been a little tired, but never had any issues with it.

Occasional Runner

Typically, when I finish a 100 miler, I feel exhausted and want to sleep right away. It never works. I lay down and doze but I can never get comfortable. On top of that, my mind is still very active. It takes me a while to get my brain and my body to slow down and relax enough to get any meaningful rest. I usually get 1 or 2 hours of restless sleep right after I finish, then head back to the finish line and watch the runners for a while. I eat some food and drink a few beers, then my body begins to settle down and feel warm, fuzzy and truly sleepy. I get back to bed around 6 or 7 PM and sleep well through the night. When I wake up, I'm rested well enough to do my normal routine.

And here I thought you were going to ask how much time off from running!  (Which for lace_up would probably be the same answer Big grin Wink  At any rate, I do like to take the next day off from work since I stand all day.  (Hell, I'd like to take the entire WEEK off, but finances preclude that).  I was so wiped immediately after Cascade Crest that I didn't have my celebratory beer.  So I popped one open at about 10 a.m. on Monday while recovering on the couch Wink

Uh oh... now what?

100 miler:  We had the relaxed five-day drive back to Oregon from Colorado--no problems.

24-hour: I was in a cube world then (data warehousing).  Did not take any time off (run was

only a couple of hours away from home).  Problem was not staying awake, but concentrating

on the screen.  I was okay in conversations, meetings, client telephone stuff, but writing a

few lines of code,,, bleah--seemed to be back to "normal" by Wednesday.

XtremeTaper

Take the Monday off after your race if you have the vacation time banked. You can have a beer and write your race report in a more leisurely fashion that way.

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Messenjah

This is where I am having trouble. My race is about 30 minutes from my house and I'll be able to lounge around and sleep most of the day on Sunday, but I am worried about Monday and how I'll react.

24-hour: Problem was not staying awake, but concentrating on the screen.  I was okay in conversations, meetings, client telephone stuff, but writing a few lines of code,,, bleah--seemed to be back to "normal" by Wednesday.

Messenjah

@Lace...Just out of curiosity what is the longest, time wise, event that you've run? I looked through your blog posts thinking that I could use some of your wisdom and info but couldn't quite figure it out.

Occasional Runner

@Lace...Just out of curiosity what is the longest, time wise, event that you've run? I looked through your blog posts thinking that I could use some of your wisdom and info but couldn't quite figure it out.

Leadville 2012. I got really sick at mile 40 and slugged my way through the next 60 miles. It was the worst experience of my life (so far). I was on my feet for 28:33.

Messenjah

Ohhh. I do remember reading that report.

Leadville 2012. I got really sick at mile 40 and slugged my way through the next 60 miles. It was the worst experience of my life (so far). I was on my feet for 28:33.

XtremeTaper

Lace_up is an amateur.. I went over 32 hours my last 100 miler.    Big grin

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Occasional Runner

Lace_up is an amateur.. I went over 32 hours my last 100 miler.    Big grin

Give me time! I'll be there someday.