Trailer Trash

Moab Red Hot ? (Read 160 times)

Birdwell

I posted this in the ultra forum, but it doesn't seem to be getting much traction, so i'll put it here as well. 

I'm looking at the Moab Red Hot, Feb 16th, as my first ultra. the date and proximity of the race seem like they'd work out well for me. 

Anyone have any experience with this particular race? Is it a beginner friendly one? I'd most likely be racing it solo, with no crew or pacer (though I'm not sure if they even allow pacers here). I'm used to running alone though. Terrain and elevation wise, it looks pretty mellow (I train in SW utah on similar ground, I.e., sand, slick rock, mountains) 

I appreciate any and all advice and wisdom!

Thanks

dpc3

No idea but I am running it along with several other folks here. I know Lace is trying to run the course a couple times before hand.

I've run it 6 times.  It's a great race!

The terrain is tough due to the footing... there is a lot of off-camber slickrock in the last half. 

Scenery is stunning.  Weather is usually, but not always, great. 

There's no crew or pacer access anywhere on the course, so no worries about running it sans crew... everyone has to run it that way.

I'm actually surprised it's not sold out... Chris (the RD) must have opened up some more slots. 

See you there!

Occasional Runner

No idea but I am running it along with several other folks here. I know Lace is trying to run the course a couple times before hand.

I'm going down on the weekend of January 12th to run the course. I'll probably post a report about it, along with some pictures. 

Birdwell

I actually emailed Chris with a few questions, and he got back to me right away. On ultra sign up it shows only 78% sold for the 55K. 

I just signed up for it. Thanks for the info and help all!

lace- I look forward to your right up. 

Occasional Runner

We need to get a list together of all the former RWOL people running the race so we can crown a forum winner (he and she) and maybe place some wagers as well. We should make this interesting.

mtnjim

I'm glad I followed the link on RWOL and checked over here.  When I looked at  Red Hot  a month or so ago it was showing full.  I was thinking all sorts of bad things about the organizers having changed the opening date for registration.Disapprove

Now it looks as though Feb will be a busy month with the Vail Winter Uphill, then Red Hot 55, then the Twin Mountain Trudge, 9, 16, 23!

Thanks y'all,

JimS