Trailer Trash

Cell phones everywhere? (Read 54 times)

Uh oh... now what?

A sort of interesting story about the "need" for cell towers in the "out there" parts...

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/americas-national-parks-weigh-solitude-against-cellular-access-1B8040227

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

"Our customers are telling us that having access to technology will enhance their visit to wild areas," said Bob Kelley, spokesman for Verizon Wireless, which is seeking to install a new 100-foot cell tower at Yellowstone.

Sad

Running is dumb.

Scrapster

Oh, that will be pretty.  And it will be so nice to have all those new visitors to wild areas. :rollseyes:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

People who want cell phones in the wild won't trek out far enough to bother those of us who actually use the trails.  I hardly ever run into anyone a mile or two past a trailhead.

Running is dumb.

In Yellowstone 95% or more of the people seem to never get out of sight of the parking lot.

On trail runs I pretty much never take a phone.  That said, I actually do like being able to frequently call or text home when on multi week backpacking trips and multi month self supported bicycle tours.  It does help immensely with keeping the peace with a spouse who is at home.  So I might actually be happy to see improved coverage in the back country.

I hope they locate any towers in the national parks in places they aren't too much of an eye sore.  The coverage will almost certainly be focused on the roads corridors so we still probably won't have coverage in the back country any way.

TrailTromper 

Tallahassee, Florida

AT-runner

Tim

When we were in Oregon, we were running up the trail to the top of Multnomah Falls and passed a group of 20 somethings who all had their cell phone out.  They asked us if we could get cell service with our phones.  I asked if they had an emergency and when they said no, I told them there was no need for me to check and they should just enjoying the beautiful trail and scenery.  One of the girls said something like "O mer gerd, figures we'd ask a tree hugger".

So the way I look at it, there is never a "need" for more towers.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I'm also one of the die-hard solitude lovers. No need for cellphone service for me out in the backcountry.

I recognize that in an emergency it could come in handy, but I don't assume the number of people who get into trouble and don't get help in time will decrease because of cellphone service availability everywhere. Rather, more people will set out unprepared and lightheartedly, underestimating the powers of nature and just relying on their cellphone to get them out of trouble easily, and for some of them, rescue will still fail. Same number of deaths, etc., and lost solitude and wilderness as a tradeoff.

Why can't it just be recognized that some areas are just what they are, wild and untouched by civilization, and that humans will have to submit themselves to the rules of nature there, resort to the basics, and not have every fancy convenience on hand immediately?

Run for fun.