Trailer Trash

[Article] Debunking pronation myths (Read 35 times)

Chnaiur

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k

Brian Runner

"All decisions could and should be based on one main factor in my opinion: comfort"

^ sums up how I buy running shoes.

Daydreamer1

To me the take away point here is that everyone is different in what they like and need.  For some reason humans like to place each other into categories. Typically just a few categories and have them as narrow as possible. It only took me several years of practicing in the medical field to understand that we are all different in the way we are built and the way we respond to almost everything, whether that is medications or shoes.  It's very interesting to watch people run at a race and then think about the difference in strides and body composition. I've seen some people with awkward looking strides that are actually quite fast, while others with "nice" looking strides are not very fast.

I over pronate, yet according to the wet foot test I have high arches. If I don't run with some type of support under my arch I can guarantee pain and most like injury will occur. My over padded Hoka's are a blessing to my knees. Yet there will be other runners that would likely be injured if they ran with an orthotic  like mine.

I read this article and seen a lot of stuff to think about,  but very little useful information except for the quote that Brain has already pointed out. Buy your shoes based on what feels good for you, not what someone else tells you or what the current fad may be, and certainly not what an "expert" tells you that you should buy.

If someone does struggle with injuries, reading this article could be what they need to try other types of shoes until they find something that works better.

Chnaiur

For me what was interesting wasn't that he introduced a whole lot of new prescriptive research. Instead, it was that he effectively tore down the whole pronation-based shoe fitting paradigm that at least I have lived with since I started running. He showed that the science just isn't there.

3/8 Way Too Cool 50k WNS

4/19 Tehama Wildflowers 50k